Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 AM

339 posts, read 1,170,733 times

Advertisements

I read something recently (can't remember for the life of me where it was - newspaper perhaps) which was talking about the psychology of religion and how it affects the human brain.

One point that was made was a study found that people who believed in a loving, merciful god actually showed over time a development in the level of activity in the part of their brain that dealt with empathy and altruism when engaged in religious activities (praying, worshipping, etc I guess), while those for whom their god was angry and wrathful basically showed the opposite - an increased level of engagement in the part of the brain that was responsible for anger, jealousy, revenge, etc. This is my own very unscientific summary of the findings, but that's the crux of it.

Basically they had successfully shown that whether religion affects your psychological development positively or negatively was dependent on how one viewed their god/gods. The study only referred to a causal link between the image of one's god and their brain development - it didn't deal with the opposite i.e. people who are more loving and altruistic are more likely to view their god in this image. This seems also entirely possible.

I thought about the people I know who believe in a god, and this seemed to fit their dispositions pretty accurately.

So if this is true (and it sound very plausible to me) then it is far too simple to just say that religion is good because makes people happier or helps moral development. It seems that it's actually dependent on how one constructs (or in encouraged to construct) the image of their god in their own mind.

Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,408,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
I read something recently (can't remember for the life of me where it was - newspaper perhaps) which was talking about the psychology of religion and how it affects the human brain.

One point that was made was a study found that people who believed in a loving, merciful god actually showed over time a development in the level of activity in the part of their brain that dealt with empathy and altruism when engaged in religious activities (praying, worshipping, etc I guess), while those for whom their god was angry and wrathful basically showed the opposite - an increased level of engagement in the part of the brain that was responsible for anger, jealousy, revenge, etc. This is my own very unscientific summary of the findings, but that's the crux of it.

Basically they had successfully shown that whether religion affects your psychological development positively or negatively was dependent on how one viewed their god/gods. The study only referred to a causal link between the image of one's god and their brain development - it didn't deal with the opposite i.e. people who are more loving and altruistic are more likely to view their god in this image. This seems also entirely possible.

I thought about the people I know who believe in a god, and this seemed to fit their dispositions pretty accurately.

So if this is true (and it sound very plausible to me) then it is far too simple to just say that religion is good because makes people happier or helps moral development. It seems that it's actually dependent on how one constructs (or in encouraged to construct) the image of their god in their own mind.

Do you agree?
The problem is that on this or any other forum, you will only get the canned answers. That does'nt mean anything. What you need to do is look at each specifically different religion and see how they live their lives and treat others. Rather than making outright blanket statements about a type of religious faith, (assuming this is usually targeted at Christianity), look at specific denominations or sects and see what history says.

For example, I have asked in the past when living in the United States when someone raves about their political party's candidate, I've asked, "What is the difference between Republican and Democrat?" I usually recieve the same canned definitions. I tell them that I understand what the definitions are, but what is it that they do that is different ??? Because seriously, I see no difference either of these parties. They both to the same things, use the same tactics, etc. Just change the names to sugar coat it a little. What I look for personally is a difference I personally can see, not what I am told. So I would ask you, what have you seen ???

Asking people for the ideal answer isn't going to get at the meat of the issue. What do you see out there ???

Old 04-17-2009, 02:46 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,037,363 times
Most people see what they want to see because when it comes down to it, we see ourselves in each other. How we portray ourselves to others is what we will see in them.
There have been several times when I'm out and about and when I take the time to see people in the light of God, true miracles happen. I've been very blessed in that I see God in everyone and when we project that love around us, people see that and react positively.
I remember one time I took my son to a concert. His first one. We had lawn seats and the stage wan't very clear from where we were sitting. I looked around us and I commented to my son to just look at the people and see how beautiful they were. That they were our brothers and sisters and that God is the Father of them all. There were all kinds of people from the business man to the punker to the grunger. It was a Roger Waters concert so you can imagine.
All of a sudden, this man comes up to us and he asked if we wanted his tickets and said they were in the pavilion. I said sure and we took off to find our new seats. We ended up six rows from the stage. Couldn't ask for anything better. Roger is my most favorite singer and I remember the week before, I kept telling my angels what fun we would have and that if by chance something wonderful would happen. They gave me that miracle becauseof Love. My love for the music and their love for me.
When we meet them halfway, miracles can and will happen.
The God I see is full of love and compassion. There is not one iota of fear or hatred in Him.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,623,559 times
As I've said before, I wish I could erase my Baptist upbringing. God is still wrathful to me. He rains down fire and brimstone on anyone who doesn't do as they're told. Sometimes, from a religious standpoint, I'm so afraid to do anything that I go for long stretches and do nothing. I fear offending God but then I offend by my inaction.

I can't win with a vengeful, wrathful God but that is the God of my upbringing.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:21 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,037,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
As I've said before, I wish I could erase my Baptist upbringing. God is still wrathful to me. He rains down fire and brimstone on anyone who doesn't do as they're told. Sometimes, from a religious standpoint, I'm so afraid to do anything that I go for long stretches and do nothing. I fear offending God but then I offend by my inaction.

It's very hard for people to change their thought process. Our parents raise us the best they know how. Society shows us how to live the best way it knows how. We are the rulers of our own lives and when we let others dictate those lives, we end up being puppets. When we let go and let God, those things can be erased. It's extremely hard but it can happen.
I'll keep you in my prayers that you may see a new light of a loving Father whom we all may know. God bless.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,378,860 times
Quote:

Do you agree?
This study was done by Andrew Newberg and another man whose name I can't remember. He has written 3 books so far on the subject, the best one being How God Changes the Brain. Born to Believe is another good book of his. This findings can be proved.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,378,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I was raised with a God like this. You can change your views of God through study, through realizing that the God of the bible is not really who God really is but man's intrepretation, man's trying to understand his world.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
The problem is that on this or any other forum, you will only get the canned answers. That does'nt mean anything. What you need to do is look at each specifically different religion and see how they live their lives and treat others. Rather than making outright blanket statements about a type of religious faith, (assuming this is usually targeted at Christianity), look at specific denominations or sects and see what history says.

For example, I have asked in the past when living in the United States when someone raves about their political party's candidate, I've asked, "What is the difference between Republican and Democrat?" I usually recieve the same canned definitions. I tell them that I understand what the definitions are, but what is it that they do that is different ??? Because seriously, I see no difference either of these parties. They both to the same things, use the same tactics, etc. Just change the names to sugar coat it a little. What I look for personally is a difference I personally can see, not what I am told. So I would ask you, what have you seen ???

Asking people for the ideal answer isn't going to get at the meat of the issue. What do you see out there ???
Sorry bluepacific, I really don't understand what you're getting at. I didn't ask people for answers, just opinions.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
This study was done by Andrew Newberg and another man whose name I can't remember. He has written 3 books so far on the subject, the best one being How God Changes the Brain. Born to Believe is another good book of his. This findings can be proved.
Oh, that must be it. Thanks! I should read the book. I really hope that my interpretation of what he says is approximately correct - I read it a few days ago now.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,085,663 times
Quote:

Do you agree?

what do I think?

I think someone got millions of dollars for a research grant to tell us nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality