Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 AM

74 posts, read 126,906 times

Advertisements

As long as there are those who are willing to take advantage of the ignorant and as long as the ignorant are willing to pay for a "warm and fuzzy" it's an easy income I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:18 AM

179 posts, read 289,815 times
Religion is a system of beliefs and rituals centering on a
supernatural being or beings.

Religion will be around regardless of money being made although
not as widely. It blows my mind how many people think they can
buy their way into Heaven or have their sins forgiven with money.

This is one of the reasons I stay away from "church". How can so many people read the same Bible and serve the same God and yet be in
competition with who has the most members ,the biggest budgets and
boast about all of the material possessions their church has.

One only has to look to the greatest precher/teacher ever to walk
this earth , Jesus.

What he teaches and what the churches do ,its like they don't even
read or study the teachings of Christ. It would be fair to say that He
was not to fond of the scribes and pharisees, He called them hypocrites,
serpents,den of vipers. They make the outside of the cup clean but on
the inside is filth(Matt.23) I see the churches of today just like the churches then, full of greed ,pride and deception. God does not save churches/denominations He saves individuals.

"These people draw near to me with their mouth and honor me with
their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship
me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

You don't choose to preach you are choosen to preach.

remove the money and you will remove the false preachers.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffhrdkncs View Post
As long as there are those who are willing to take advantage of the ignorant and as long as the ignorant are willing to pay for a "warm and fuzzy" it's an easy income I suppose.

Isn't it fun to just take pot shots at something w/out having to actually think?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,948 times
The issue of money and religion is interesting and shouldn't just be ignored.

Organized religions are making big money. Follow the money trail and it'll open your eyes to lots of things.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The issue of money and religion is interesting and shouldn't just be ignored.

Organized religions are making big money. Follow the money trail and it'll open your eyes to lots of things.
I work in IT right now. I'm probably going to be making roughly half as much when I graduate with a $30,000 Master's Degree in Theology. I'm not going into it for the money.

Yes--there are shysters on tv that are scamming people...but by and large, I think you're woefully mistaken if you think the average pastor makes a lot of money in comparison to what he would make in a secular job of the same level of responsibility.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I work in IT right now. I'm probably going to be making roughly half as much when I graduate with a $30,000 Master's Degree in Theology. I'm not going into it for the money.

Yes--there are shysters on tv that are scamming people...but by and large, I think you're woefully mistaken if you think the average pastor makes a lot of money in comparison to what he would make in a secular job of the same level of responsibility.
I'm talking about the real estate schemes. The fact that profits are often central the churches decisions. The people pulling the strings at the top of the chain. The corruption that is not too well hidden. The international ventures that are so blatently driven by money.

Of course the sheep and soldiers of the religion do not make too much money. And of course there are shysters who use religion as a front to gain peopes trust and con them. But I am talking about the corruption within the actual churches.

You're a smart person obviously. You don't know about it? There are many aspects to it.

On a side note. Why do many churches keep on encouraging the working people in thier churches to donate. When these churches enjoy tax-free status and have billions and billions of dollars?

Why don't the churches donate the their followers instead? Why are there gawdy, huge churches everywhere that could house all the homeless of the US, yet their doors are closed? Why are these churches sitting on billions and billions of dollars?

Oops. I'm asking too many questions

Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Isn't it fun to just take pot shots at something w/out having to actually think?
But you do that all the time in regard to atheists, evolution, et cetera. Why isn't it fair for him to do the same?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
to the op:

this statement is about as valid as it would be vice versa. imho.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
Quote:
It is probably about both money and power - they are related. In societies like the US, because of constitutional restrictions (church-state wall) and education (not everyone can be easily converted), it may be more about money. In theocracies like Iran et al, it is about power.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM

33 posts, read 49,666 times
Quote:
You're right, but in the beginning, when the bible of Christianity was written, religion was a lot different. The Romans changed a lot of it. I believe in science. If there is a god, there's no way we'll ever see him or his "kingdom". His "kingdom" would be a metaphysical dimension that would be only accessible by a worm hole or black hole, which would kill anyone who tried to get to it.

Religion will always be around, but there will always be those jerks who make it so stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality