Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
When the target is as big as the corruption and greed in religion a “pot shot” is all it takes to hit the mark. My question would be what mental weakness or fear would let the mass population fall for something as ridiculous as religion in today’s world.

I don't know...there are a lot of people that actually believe we evolved from apes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I don't know...there are a lot of people that actually believe we evolved from apes.
Imagine that . . . misunderstanding and believing in distorted science . . . makes you wonder what the world is coming to, doesn't it? Just by looking we can see that the toy poodle and the Doberman cannot possibly have had the same primordial ancestor (some wolf-like creature) . . . it is absurd! Same with humans . . . the apes are nothing like us . . . we couldn't possibly have had the same primordial ancestor. Those science types! Crazy!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
dobermans and poodles are the same species...that is evident.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 AM

74 posts, read 126,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky1 View Post
Religion is a system of beliefs and rituals centering on a
supernatural being or beings.

remove the money and you will remove the false preachers.
I think it would be the first step in the right direction.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 537 times
I just think it is ironic that we discuss these various topics that we see as issues in this world; issues, non-the-less, that will be here as long as this world exists. We can not completely change these things, they will always be here. We just have to do the best with what we have/are given.

In this world we have different, unique, complex people, whom we will never fully understand - hell, I don't even fully understand myself. To me, it's like we are all here, obviously by some force/power-whatever you want to call it-and we have to figure things out - through discovery, experience, research, etc., with the help/influences of other forces in this world, as well as the attributes that have been naturally put in us, from birth. Everyone gravitates toward something in life (money, religion, family, music, teaching, acting, theology, philanthropy, basically EVERYTHING under the sun/on this earth/out of this earth/whatever can be conceived in the mind).

There are those who want to live a rich life, and will do whatever it takes to get it. Some are forced into the rich life. Some are willing to live mediocre lives, some are forced into that. Some are willing to live poor lives, and some are made poor by circumstance - life is COMPLEX, we will never fully understand it. We will never be able to figure it all out. I think the best we can do is live the best lives we can, doing what pleases our hearts - and allowing others to do what pleases their hearts - and live with the consequences of our own choices (as life/the universe has it's own way of balancing things out when any life force gets out of hand), and do the best we can with the mind, resources, and abilities that we have or have been given, and hope for the best because we don't fully understand things, and can not fully control anything either. I want people to do what makes them happy, as long as it does not involve killing other lives to do so, but even concerning that issue, we can only do so much, but like I said earlier, life has a way of balancing things out. These rich folks may have lots of money, be sitting on lots of money, but trust and believe, they deal with a lot of ****, problems, deceit, and treachery of their own behind it. No human, man, entity on this earth controls everything. It can't put an end to all the things that go wrong in this world, but life will balance out whatever decisions, be it good or bad, we make. I personally, to cope with various issues, believe in a better life after this one (which is what various religions teach/make a profit off of). Whether I am right or wrong, one day I will find out. But for right now, to cope, I will believe in what I believe, and that is what most people do to survive. Some to the degree of hoarding money, thinking that it will keep them happy. Hey if it works, do it, just don't get out of control, because again, at the end of the day, if you do get unbalanced, life/universe/forces, will come in and shut it down!!

If commenting about the various issues in life makes you happy, do it!! As long as it doesn't affect anyone else around you/close to you. The universe will balance everything out (a whole other subject I won't divulge right now). But at the end of the day, do what is going to make you happy in this life!!

Let the rich get rich; they worked for it. If you want to be rich, be willing to work for it, otherwise enjoy what you work for in this life! Everyone has to work for what they want in life, we can't just hand out things to people, otherwise they will have no drive to do anything in life. Struggle is good for humans.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM

19,058 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Hey, OP.
Watch this movie:

The Apostle (1997) - IMDb

And then re-think your original post.

As there are MANY like him.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffhrdkncs View Post
As long as there are those who are willing to take advantage of the ignorant and as long as the ignorant are willing to pay for a "warm and fuzzy" it's an easy income I suppose.
Perhaps same could be said for politics.
Ugly politics will be there as long as crooks can make money out of it.

So, did you notice, it's NOT the product. It's the use or misuse of the product by some certain humans.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:14 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffhrdkncs View Post
As long as there are those who are willing to take advantage of the ignorant and as long as the ignorant are willing to pay for a "warm and fuzzy" it's an easy income I suppose.
Actually, I read somewhere that when one emperor of China became Buddhist he (at that time) decided to outlaw tax-exemptions for religious pulpits (the only tax exemptions were granted to secluded Buddhist monk monasteries, not any for churches, Christian monks, or Buddhist/Tao preachers). That simple law (and the way people follow the leader they accept without much question after) decimated the power of Abrahamic "missions" because the people could see that their main focus had to be collecting money. Christianity quickly dwindled without much military effort, although military strive can also cause a lack of funding.

Everything under the devil's thumb required funding, it requires material value, such as tax-free land and money collecting. The "invisible hand" of the market and all that.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
anything man does that doesn't make some type of money profit or emotional profit doesn't last, or at least, is not done in mass.

soo, yeah ... that's valid 'hash tag" OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality