Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,332,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
Can god microwave a burito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

(Totaly off topic, but I couldn't resist )
It never ceases to amaze me how good humor puts a smile on a face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM

258 posts, read 443,761 times
DNA engineering in itself is proof of evolution. Everything on the planet is made of DNA, except for some viruses that are mainly RNA codes. DNA finally evolved to the point of conscious thought. Which allows DNA to better adapt to the drastic climate changes on the planet in modern times. Go back millions of years and the whole planet was warm without many variations in temperature. Unless a asteroid or volcano issues happened. Scientist say the sun's current stable state will end within 180 million years and the radiation from the sun will likely kill off the majority of life on the planet. DNA had to start higher level of thought so that it could eventually expedite the evolution process to get the hell of this planet before it is to late. We humans are that level. With DNA engineering we will be able to rapidly change our bodies and minds to a even more advanced form of DNA. DNA won't have to wait for nature this time. In the near future their will hundreds if not thousands of forms of sentient DNA. They will think much faster than us, and probably be born with all of mankind's previous knowledge in their minds. We will be like a chimp to them. You may not want to believe, but it is already happening in labs all around this planet as I type this.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,558,741 times
Wink Phd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
At what point did we become human and it was wrong to kill each other?

When did human beings evolve a soul?

The term 'soul' is a cultural product. The evolution of the concept occured as humanity evolved it's relationship with nature.

The concept of wrongful death is something that was determined on a tribal level.

It is wrong to kill on the basis & within the parameters of a given society's norms.

Your question would be a good basis for a PHD thesis

My post hole digger doesn't go that deep

Kate

Old 09-06-2009, 11:41 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,171,756 times
Quote:
At what point did we become human and it was wrong to kill each other?

When did human beings evolve a soul?
Like the "what came first, the chicken or the egg". Clearly the egg, because at some point, along the line of the evolution of the chicken we would have to call it a chicken, and that chicken came from a egg. There would not be a definite point in time, in fact it would probably span over several hundred generations, where people would argue that it is, or is not a chicken.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 983 times
Quick thing here. Don't know if someone replied or if this is even too late, haha.
Have you ever herd of an eskimo tan? It's where just your face gets a tan because you're wearing a parka that she's wearing in the picture there. Also, 24 hour sunlight in the summer. I would go snow-machining during the summer and have a tan line where my sunglasses are. It's really funny and you can tell who's been up north in Alaska because of that. ;P And Inupiaq or Alaska Natives in general come from Mongolia. We have naturally tanned skin! (Well I'm half white and I had to get my dad's gene on that one.)
So yeah, that's all I have to say! Woo!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,936,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random12345 View Post
Quick thing here. Don't know if someone replied or if this is even too late, haha.
Have you ever herd of an eskimo tan? It's where just your face gets a tan because you're wearing a parka that she's wearing in the picture there. Also, 24 hour sunlight in the summer. I would go snow-machining during the summer and have a tan line where my sunglasses are. It's really funny and you can tell who's been up north in Alaska because of that. ;P And Inupiaq or Alaska Natives in general come from Mongolia. We have naturally tanned skin! (Well I'm half white and I had to get my dad's gene on that one.)
So yeah, that's all I have to say! Woo!
"Interesting" first post. Welcome. BTW, you'll enjoy the truly rancorous and ill-educated outbursts about Evolution here, esp. if you're a rational thinker. fomalhaut pretty much has it right though. It's undeniable, and yet, there are those who insist...

Well, you'll see. Brace yourself.

Have fun!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,250,127 times
Quote:
It's relevant. I want to know how evolution accounts for the soul.
Evolution is science. The "soul" is religion.

Science does not try to "account for" religious ideas.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You can't prove there is a such thing as a soul, so you've got your own problems to solve.
As we are all very aware, there are 21 souls, we get one for each year of our lives. That is why we can drink at 21 and also why it's better to send the cannon-fodder new military recruits into war before they are 21 and acquire more of those last few precious souls to get killed.

But seriously, most people think their Soul is their mind, and they think they "didn't" have a soul when they were a single-celled zygote, but acquired it at the age of reason when they have a mind to identify their personage with and imagine the possibility of living forever as a disembodied mind with perhaps a spiritual corpus.

I mean seriously? if you think a Zygote or embryo has a soul or spirit or both, what do you think happens when two zygotes fuse and become 1 zygote that develops into one person. Or when two zygotes grow together into one person called a chimera? What about when an embryo is split to create clones? Do those clones all have the same soul? If they do, then what doe that make you? It probably makes you a body with a mind. I'm sorry if you are unwilling to accept impermanence.

[edit: wow, this is such an old thread. Did something happen to my city-data settings?]

Old 01-10-2015, 02:23 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,023,310 times
The flaw in this is that it assumes humans have a soul although there is no evidence that there is such thing. We can account for the fact that murder is wrong because people are social animals. People need each other to survive and thinking murder is acceptable ould lead to the demise of humanity. You can see this in other social species like monkeys or gorillas.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:31 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,225,275 times
I have a sneaking suspicion Vizio is an ID for this banned poster. Same style and volume of posts and style of *ahem* debating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality