Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,511,315 times

Advertisements

I thought I would just toss this topic out there and see what develops.

So many seem to be seeking answers and 'Sam' had a few good thoughts and a fine dry wit. I am apoplexed at the media and need to vent a bit, FWIW. If this post should be in another forum--that's fine I don't want to talk politics so I decided to put it here because Twain was a philosopher among other things.

Mark Twain quotations - Truth

'An injurious truth has no merit over an injurious lie. Neither should ever be uttered. The man who speaks an injurious truth, lest his soul be not saved if he do otherwise, should reflect that that sort of a soul is not strictly worth saving.'
- "On the Decay of the Art of Lying"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,023,873 times
I love a lot of his quotes. Have them saved on my computer. There's even one for the spelling police--I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. LOL

Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,928,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I love a lot of his quotes. Have them saved on my computer. There's even one for the spelling police--I don't give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way. LOL
How do you know that was for the spelling police, and not for the uneducated or lazy who don't care if there is more than one correct spelling of like-sounding words? Such as to/too/two; their/there/they're; than/then; et cetera...

Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,023,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
How do you know that was for the spelling police, and not for the uneducated or lazy who don't care if there is more than one correct spelling of like-sounding words? Such as to/too/two; their/there/they're; than/then; et cetera...
I don't but it works great for the spelling police.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,881,092 times
Interesting,..... for quite a few years, I have been of the opinion that "Roughing It" Mark Twains' thesis on the american west, may well be one of the finest five books in the English language. Mr. Twain spent the time of the "War betweens the states" in the American west, dodging the draft. In my day several people went to canada, I wasn't that smart. What tends to set Twain apart from writers of his, or any other, day was his perspective. He tended to see things unlike any other. His "War Prayer" is a masterpiece. And his collected observations out west gives a perspective of the American west unlike anything written about by Bret Harte, or Jack London. His story about the buffalo hunt had me laughing til tears came from my eyes. "Huck Finn" may well be one of the finest essays on friendship ever penned, "Tom Sawyer" was his coming of age story and "Life on the Mississippi" opened up a window in time, still will to the modern reader.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I think he was talking about close minded people, not words.

Twain was like the Mighty Mississippi--deep at times. Unfathomable. Paradoxical.

Your thoughts, SuSuShi--I wish I had thought of that for screen name. Why did you choose it? Just curious. It's a lot like my RL name, FWIW.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interesting,..... for quite a few years, I have been of the opinion that "Roughing It" Mark Twains' thesis on the american west, may well be one of the finest five books in the English language. Mr. Twain spent the time of the "War betweens the states" in the American west, dodging the draft. In my day several people went to canada, I wasn't that smart. What tends to set Twain apart from writers of his, or any other, day was his perspective. He tended to see things unlike any other. His "War Prayer" is a masterpiece. And his collected observations out west gives a perspective of the American west unlike anything written about by Bret Harte, or Jack London. His story about the buffalo hunt had me laughing til tears came from my eyes. "Huck Finn" may well be one of the finest essays on friendship ever penned, "Tom Sawyer" was his coming of age story and "Life on the Mississippi" opened up a window in time, still will to the modern reader.
'The War Prayer'
"The War Prayer"

I need to read the story about the buffalo hunt.

The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County was always one of my favorites. LOL
The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 PM

81 posts, read 152,766 times
This is one of the most insightful and factual Mark Twain quotations. This one is regarding church congregations as related to the preacher and his supposed job. It is from The War Prayer, I believe:
Quote:
Nevertheless we have this curious spectacle: daily the trained parrot in the pulpit gravely delivers himself of these ironies, which he has acquired at second-hand and adopted without examination, to a trained congregation which accepts them without examination, and neither the speaker nor the hearer laughs at himself.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,180,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
And his collected observations out west gives a perspective of the American west unlike anything written about by Bret Harte, or Jack London. His story about the buffalo hunt had me laughing til tears came from my eyes. "Huck Finn" may well be one of the finest essays on friendship ever penned, "Tom Sawyer" was his coming of age story and "Life on the Mississippi" opened up a window in time, still will to the modern reader.
Awww, at some point in my life, i was in love with Tom Sawyer

Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaarkh View Post
This is one of the most insightful and factual Mark Twain quotations. This one is regarding church congregations as related to the preacher and his supposed job. It is from The War Prayer, I believe:
'Nevertheless we have this curious spectacle: daily the trained parrot in the pulpit gravely delivers himself of these ironies, which he has acquired at second-hand and adopted without examination, to a trained congregation which accepts them without examination, and neither the speaker nor the hearer laughs at himself. '

LOL--Sam would be thrilled at the 'Progress' that has been made. As far as I can tell everyone has a 'different' interpretation and exercises the First Amendment to the fullest degree.

I suspect this started in Scotland never met a Scot who didn't Think for Himself. Very persistent people. jmo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality