Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Nature of Truth?
It's an accurate description of objective reality. 2 16.67%
It's the complete & coherent description of objective reality. 1 8.33%
It's what is agreed to by a consensus. 0 0%
It's whatever is beneficial and effective. 0 0%
It's everything proved by logic or evidence. 2 16.67%
I's an ideal discovered through study and reflection. 0 0%
It's anything that can't be proved false. 0 0%
It's unknown and unknowable. 2 16.67%
The question is pointless. 3 25.00%
Other. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

To allow for something more philosophical as this often low on the philosophy side of the topic. Granted it's the question Pilate asked Jesus, but discussing the nature of Truth is not necessarily religious.

The Poll is more of a conversation aid, you can ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
I think of truth two different ways.

There is Truth with a capital "T", also known as facts. These are true for everyone and everything.

Then there is personal truth, the things that need be true only to the person that believes them, and have nothing to do with facts.

So I have two answers for the poll.
It's an accurate description of objective reality
and
It's an ideal discovered through study and reflection

Last edited by Sizzly Friddle; 06-30-2011 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: because I felt like it.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
To allow for something more philosophical as this often low on the philosophy side of the topic. Granted it's the question Pilate asked Jesus, but discussing the nature of Truth is not necessarily religious.

I think truth, is not always provable or verifiable.

I believe you are Christian, both you and I can prove that in accordance with our respective scriptures can prove both Muslims and Christians believe Isa(as) was born of a Virgin. But I doubt if any atheist would accept that as proof it is true.

I was going to initially say that truth is that which can be proven. But that is not true as there are many things that are true, but we will never have proof of them being true.

My final conclusion is that truth is that which God(swt) has told us is truth. But, I can not prove it.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
There are truths that are provable. Religious "truths" are never provable. That is why there is no such thing as a religion that has the only truth. There are only understandings of what each person believes.
Each persons understanding of the creator.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:

Wow, Thom...how many jillions of hours in human history have been spent contemplating THAT?!

Deep stuff fella.

Ya know...When I see "What is Truth", I am inclined to conflate it with "What is True"...but it might just be my limited "depth" that compels me to do that.

But within my "What is Truth = What is True" limited view...I see Truth as, whatever IS True...and I'm inclined to think that what's true is true, regardless of whether we know it is or not.
That would necessarily rule out "Truth" only being what has been objectively verified...or even what we believe to be objectively verified, since nothing is infallible.
But even though I'm kinda saying "Truth" (and what is "True") is unknowable...I feel there are things that ARE known to be True, and thus could/should be considered Truth.
Ahhhh...never mind...I'd just overload my mental capacity with this one...I'll leave it to you "higher thinkers", and enjoy the reading.

Thanx for what I expect to be an enjoyable and thought provoking thread.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I think truth, is not always provable or verifiable.

I believe you are Christian, both you and I can prove that in accordance with our respective scriptures can prove both Muslims and Christians believe Isa(as) was born of a Virgin. But I doubt if any atheist would accept that as proof it is true.

I was going to initially say that truth is that which can be proven. But that is not true as there are many things that are true, but we will never have proof of them being true.

My final conclusion is that truth is that which God(swt) has told us is truth. But, I can not prove it.
I considered including specifically theistic answers, though I'd say at least some of these are things a theist could agree to, but I feared that would make it just another religious discussion and I wanted to avoid that. Plus I intentionally left out some theories on truth. That's largely because I didn't know how to explain them, but partly in hopes that some who don't see what they want as an option on the poll would feel inspired to discuss instead. I guess that's a tad sneaky

Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Someone said (I forget who) that if something has no value for you....then it doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Quote:

Defining truth is another way of explaining what is real.

There are many different theories that define truth but for me they can all be defined by the following categories...relative, and absolute truth. Relative proof is proven by consensus...facts, and theories are gained through this process of building one truth upon another until it represents solid reality. How things relate to one another...what we can see and feel and verify that with one another.

Absolute truth can only be proven if you have absolute knowledge. Therefore saying Absolute truth exists is kind of like saying God exists. Absolute truth operates under the idea that truth is fixed and everyone should come to the same understanding if they were to seek truth.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
What is truth. I chose the unknown and unknowable. We do not know what truth is because just when we think we have it all figured out, it changes, so what we thought was the truth, is no longer the truth. We are always in search of the truth but it is always very elusive, many will say that their god has revealed his truth to them, but how do we know what the truth is? It has been revealed to that individual and that individual only and what is one truth to one person is not necessarily the truth to another, so it continues to be elusive. All we can be sure of is that what one individual knows is the truth to them is not necessarily the truth to another.osay

Old 07-01-2011, 02:05 PM

154 posts, read 216,831 times
Truth is whatever an individual perceives to be legitimate - whether it's facts, headlines, related stories, history, etc, and so on.

On a CD I was listening to just recently Hamza Yusuf commented on what I think is a very interesting duality in the age old "seeing is believing" phrase and how the post modernists reversed that very phrase and now look upon the world as implementing "believing is seeing" and that the surrounding envrionment - be it friends, family, society, mass opinion, etc - will determine what you see in the world and will largely determine how you feel about the said world and its conflicts, questions, its "truths" etc and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality