Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2009 Which Religious Group Do You Think Is The Most Despised On The Planet On Average ?
Muslims 55 57.29%
Christians 21 21.88%
Jews 20 20.83%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:05 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,697,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
If you were asked to give the most hated football team, would you respond by citing a water polo team?

The thread is about religious groups. Atheists are not a religious groups. Your reply is off topic.
I was simply noting that the most hatred isn't directed to a religion...but to the nonbelievers (Atheists).

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 12-03-2014 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 02:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,406,127 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned comment

ON topic I think I side with the poll on this. Christianity has a sordid and dark past but in some ways at least it has improved itself and tamed. Muslims and Islam however appear to be in that religious stage of adolescence that Christianity was at during it's worst history. So I think we can be justified in thinking it is the most hated group of the three offered to us by the OP.

That it has been associated with the worst groups, and worst atrocities, of recent times does not help it's rep either. From groups like ISIS, to actions like beheadings and riots for the "crime" of drawing a cartoon, the reactionary and vocal nature of a misrepresentative group of Islamists has had about the worst public relations result one can imagine. In contrast recent Christians have generally done little worse than attempt to inject stultifying and unsubstantiated nonsense into school text books.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-03-2014 at 02:32 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 07:43 AM

12,685 posts, read 6,776,585 times
Prior to World War II, the Jews would have been the clear cut winner for "Most hated religion in the world." Today, it's probably Muslims. I find this unfortunate as most Muslims are actually very good people with strong moral values. The whole of Islam has been hijacked by an insane minority of extremists. Movements like Al Qeda and ISIS are able to garner a lot more support than they would in any other religion. Those are just recent examples of a trend that has been ongoing for more than 100 years now. The extremists are extraordinarily good at silencing the good Muslim majority too. Non-Muslims throughout the world tend to think of exploding school buses, daycare centers, cars, buildings and passenger airplanes when they hear the word, "Muslim."

Let's look at it from all directions. Way back when, Christian Europe barely managed to survive in the face of Muslim invasions. The were constantly losing ground to the Islamic jihads. With that history burned into their collective memories, today's European nations are increasingly afraid of radicalized Muslims immigrating to their nations and eventually taking over. The USA is as well. Muslim extremists are the boogey man for Americans. India was conquered centuries ago by Muslim invaders. Over 16 million Hindus were killed for their refusal to convert to Islam. More recently, today's India has been the target for more terrorist attacks than just about any other nation in the world. Israel faces a constant threat of attack by Muslims, both in the form of organized armies and terrorist insurgent attacks. Christian minorities in Northern Africa have been hunted and slaughtered by Muslims for centuries. Native non-Muslims in Muslim nations live in constant fear and for good reason. The Ottoman Empire massacred millions of them. Russia is afraid of it's own Muslim population. China is afraid of their own Muslim population. Every nation on the planet who has a Muslim population is worried that that Muslim population is up to no good.

As I said, it is unfortunate that an extremely violent and angry minority colors the entire religion. Ancient hatreds could be forgotten easily enough without Muslim terrorists doing what they do. If the extremists weren't so good at continually pissing of the entire non-Muslim world on a regular basis, the non-Muslim world would have a much better opinion of their religion.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,697,804 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned
Moderator cut: orphaned response

Quote:
To repeat: This thread is specifically about which RELIGIOUS group is the most hated on the planet. It is not about atheists at all. Your comment about atheists is simply off topic.

ON topic I think I side with the poll on this. Christianity has a sordid and dark past but in some ways at least it has improved itself and tamed. Muslims and Islam however appear to be in that religious stage of adolescence that Christianity was at during it's worst history. So I think we can be justified in thinking it is the most hated group of the three offered to us by the OP.

That it has been associated with the worst groups, and worst atrocities, of recent times does not help it's rep either. From groups like ISIS, to actions like beheadings and riots for the "crime" of drawing a cartoon, the reactionary and vocal nature of a misrepresentative group of Islamists has had about the worst public relations result one can imagine. In contrast recent Christians have generally done little worse than attempt to inject stultifying and unsubstantiated nonsense into school text books.
I understand that the thread only gives the choice of the listed groups.
I was contemplating that, since the way Atheism is practiced by many of those around these parts it kinda IS a "religion" (MOF few Theists are as fervent and devout in the practice and promotion of their worldview as the Atheists on this board) as "religion" is known to be defined...And, since Atheism is very well known to be sooooooo hated (as I recall the Taliban, rape, and things like hemorrhoids rate higher in polls)...I felt it deserved a mention.
Anyway, at the very least...if any of those listed mainstream religions start slippin' in their "hate quotiient"...they can always take some lessons from the Atheists...what with them presenting as the documented experts at getting themselves to be hated and ACTUALLY having the worst public relations one can imagine. Who better than "The Champion" to use as an example for excellence?

Last edited by june 7th; 12-03-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 02:35 PM

13,865 posts, read 5,079,002 times
I think the Jews are still the most hated. There are many Muslims around the world that hate Jews. I don't think most Christians or Jews would say they hate Muslims, even if they are disturbed by the actions of extremists.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:08 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,406,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I was contemplating that, since the way Atheism is practiced by many of those around these parts it kinda IS a "religion"
But it is not one. And the thread is about religious groups. I agree entirely though that the Poll Options are too limited. There are so many religions that limiting to these three is useless.

For example Christianity is made up of 33000 groups, sects, cults and off shoots. While Islam AS A WHOLE might be more hated than Christianity AS A WHOLE..... I am sure if you compared The Woodrow Li style Muslims who are relatively harmless with a few abhorrent opinions on things like suicide.... with the Christian 10 Commandments of God Sect..... the poll would EXACTLY reverse. The same two if one limited oneself only to Westboro Baptist Church. Or ISIS on the other side. And so on.

The "most hated" religious group today is likely to be subsets of these groups, not the groups themselves. But as the poll goes, it seems pretty much an accurate representation of our culture as a whole.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,284,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I don't know about the planet, but I would say in the United States it is the Muslims..It is a shamethat people who profess to be christian can have so much hate for something they do not even know..The muslims have as much division in their religion as christianity does..
Muslims are as ashamed and against the terrists and suicide bombers who claim to be doing the work of Allah, as the Rev Phelps, Jim Jones,etc claim their dirty deeds in the name of christianity and God...
Maybe it's because of the fact that a lot of them want to kill us. Just sayin....

Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,284,073 times
Quote:

For example Christianity is made up of 33000 groups, sects, cults and off shoots.
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess that just like every other time I've ever asked this question on this board, you will not be able to back up this statement, right? You don't actually have a list of these?

Old 12-03-2014, 04:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,339,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe it's because of the fact that a lot of them want to kill us. Just sayin....

Anyone who hates an entire religious group because of the actions of a small minority needs to learn how destructive and evil that is.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:51 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,533,089 times
Religious Hostilities Reach Six-Year High | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

I don't know about " most hated". But it seems by pew. The most oppressed religion in the world seem to be......Christianity believe or not.

How Americans Feel About Religious Groups | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

In the U.S. it actually look they measure "dislike" by......thought of more "warmly" or "coldly". Looks like Muslims beat out Athiests by a hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality