Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 AM

175 posts, read 425,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceMaker21 View Post
Hi again everyone....

Out of interest @Violet11: have you had a chance to read the Intro to MP book in its entireity yet? If so, I'm curious to hear how it settled with you. @EOF and you are both right: I tend to give my responses here in the form of quotes from various MP writings such as Dennis Holtje's book "From Light to Sound" or the 2002-MP-website, as I often find that these express what I have experienced and am trying to convey, better than my attempts at using my own words (although I tried this too e.g. with my "elated, sparkling mind" descriptions etc).
Have you had a chance to read the Excerpts from the Master Book? Oh, probably 90% of those letters/notes signed by “the master” and sent to chelas were written by Joyce…so, there are quotes galore for you to recite. Recommended since you might find the words of his wife to be “better attempts at expressing what you are experiencing than your own words”, or even those of your own master.

Or perhaps that particular book was/ has been “discreetly” pulled from the available MP materials list.

I’ve heard that rationale before. It’s not true. There is a point you reach where no one knows better than you what you are experiencing. Not even the “one” you believed for so many years to have “realized” the Truth. In fact, realizing they have not realized the very thing they say they have realized is by far more difficult to convey through words. And since we no longer believe, recite or adopt their words as our truth, we have to use our own words in expressing what we have experienced and are trying to convey. E.g. Your guru is not Sat.

Quote:
Yes, so many words have been written - over 1000 posts now and rising - and whyso? - If it were a simple case of guillable and/or vulnerable spiritual seekers being robbed by a con-man, the debate would have been quite black and white and evident on this thread by now - the fact that ex-chelas like Still_Kicking and End_of_Faith, and current chelas such as myself and Still_Chealaing (until otherwise proven, I'm assuming he is a unique individual separate in mind and body from Allan1015) are still discussing the shades of grey of our inner and outer experiences, and what the source of these really could be...was what prompted me to say:

Or maybe it is a simple case of many shades of gullible and/or vulnerable spiritual seekers. Your master and his wife often teased me about my “gullibility.” I loved, trusted and believed in them. I feel no shame in saying that I was naïve, young, vulnerable, ignorant, and really stupid to have believed them. What a painfully hard life lesson that turned out to be.

Or, perhaps it is as your master’s wife opined: the chelas of MP are needy desperate people. At the time of hearing this viewpoint, I was quite seared and hurt by the hypocrisy of it, but now, years later, I agree that it must have been an act of very deep-seated desperation and unconscious need to have placed a single erg of faith, trust, love, or belief in the unfounded concept that Gary and Joyce were realized Beings, let alone Saints (of any degree).

Quote:
Furthermore, it seems the discussion here has widened beyond MP and RS to the whole idea of satgurus throughout the history of the Light and Sound teachings and just what their involvement (if any) is with the inner experiences of their students - It would truly be an epic scam to have been perpetuated for so long (millenia) upon so many, if there never were a need for any of those gurus over history - do the doubters on this thread, doubt the need for gurus in general, i.e. doubt the validity of all Masters? - or is there still hope that such a being as a genuine Master / Saint / Sat Guru (Someone who has totally mastered his own consciousness and can teach others to master their own) actually exists?

Welcome to the world of epic scams. First, I no longer believe there is a genuine Master/saint/sat guru on the planet. The only “man” that comes close to representing Peace is the Dalai Lama (imo). The other men that I’ve heard speak or “chance encounter” since leaving the MP is Dr. Wayne Dyer and Michael Beckwith, both of whom are far more genuine your master or his wife.

Second, there is no hope in my mind or heart that such men exist.

Third, yes I think this world is the ‘schoolyard of life’ where epic scams run rampant.

Fourth, and MOST IMPORTANT, if such men existed in the past, your self-proclaimed guru is NOT counted among them! So, even though you profess that you are acting from a state of provisional faith, it is clear in your communication that you believe Gary Olsen is one. Tell me, Peacemaker, what has Gary Olsen done to deserve/earn that righteous respect?

I don’t believe that the majority of men claiming to be sat gurus have “mastered” their consciousness in the “God sense.” I think they’ve mastered the art of manipulating the material forces and universal mind power in serving their own egoic sense of self. Period. And they call it God in action, and we sometimes believe them because we are more easily swayed by faith and imagination than logic and reason.

There are many people who believe that JR, Michael Turner, Harold Klemp, etc are all “Godmen.” Does their belief make it true? No, it is just a belief. The same is true with MP. I see very little difference, except the violations might vary in manifestation. And a person would hear the same rap of spiritual rhetoric from them that you hear from a chela of MP. No difference when subjectively and objectively analyzed.

People believe in CoS…have you seen their new spiritual marketing on television? Very effective...far surpassing anything MP has ever put together. But then ask Allan1015 what he thinks about Scientology based on “his friends” experience. I’m sure there are people who would say that he just doesn’t understand the “subtlety of the CoS teachings.” How about Eckankar? I just saw one of their television commercials last night and laughed…sardonically of course. I am also sure there are “chelas/initiates” on Eckankar that would say people don’t understand the “subtlety of the Eck teachings.” And I’m absolutely positive that there are “chelas” on MP that would silently agree with the above while holding the “smug” belief/notion that only “them and their master” see the real and absolute truth. And then there are some of us that now know: It is only in letting go of what you believe that you see the subtle arrogance in all that you sanctimoniously uphold as sacred.

Or, to quote Mark Twain:

We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.
- Following the Equator

Quote:
Having an interest in parapsychology and as a Truth-seeker, I do genuinely want to get to the bottom of what is going on in my mind at its various levels (conscious, subconscious and un/superconscious), and in everyone else's too - in terms of mentality: what's the mindset of a chela, an ex-chela, a seeker, a relative of a chela etc...and of those, now and in the past, who have posited themselves as satgurus? - I think the end result of sharing on a thread such as this can only be win-win for everyone - As I've said before, personally I wouldn't still be involved with MP were I not getting value from it - at the moment I'm trying to reconcile my positive, consciousness-expanding experiences with the things that have been written here, to try to understand where we're all coming from, and what can happen when good intentions (e.g. in students who later go on to become gurus) go south.

Isn’t there a quip that goes something like this: Mind in man and of man are the same; know your own mind and you know all minds? I believe that includes the so-called satgurus who have “posited” themselves as Saints and Godmen. Some of these so-called satgurus were initiates of Eckankar ….so, are you referring to them or us? No one on this thread is “going on to become gurus”…. But I’m sure that your “master” views us as having “gone south.” Whatever.

Peace

Last edited by end_of_faith; 02-13-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceMaker21
As mentioned, the 1966 RS Book "Audiences with the Master (Charan Singh) in America" arrived in the post (I found a copy for sale on Amazon).

I took the liberty of scanning chapter 02 - A full transcript of Charan Singh-Ji's 1964 interview with the Minneapolis TV journalist:

Well, there was no mention by Charan of meeting “Gary” in the interview…gee, wonder why that is…

Quote:
and chapter 13: on karma:

Your master was never an initiate of Radha Soami, so why are you quoting Charan? Why aren’t you quoting SoS or Eckankar? What did your master learn through his “master?” Ever heard your “master” impart a parable from his experience with his “master Darwin?”

Quote:
Chapter 13 describes in great detail the different kinds of karma and what happens to souls after they exit the physical plane. @EOF, thanks for sharing those quotes - I was also intrigued by your statement that you're "not scared of death" - would you care to elaborate (here or on DM) why that is? I had an inner experience was I was 21, a year before becoming a chela which removed my fear of death itself (though when the day arrives, I would still prefer quick and painless rather than prolonged and agonizing...that choice too has apparently been predetermined by our karma - hence my pondering, "how free are we?"

No, I do not care to elaborate. As far as pondering, “how free are we?” I don’t know. But I know that I’m much freer now than I ever was as a chela of MP.

Quote:
There's quite a comprehensive list of the various Light and Sound paths in the world, here:

I read the list, and laughed.

Quote:
Quick response to @EOF regarding Eckankar / MP: (answering a quote with a quote from the MP website 2002 Q+A)

The last line is interesting in the current thread's context of narcissism because as chelas, if we are initiated by Sri Gary, even after his death, it will be his inner form (Garji) that we look for - not the form of the next leader of MP.

Actually that whole written spiel is NON-INTERESTING and the last line is especially flat and lifeless. The narcissism is not exclusive to his messianic claim of Sainthood, but very understandable why you are unable to perceive narcissism in the claim itself.

So, I guess I could interpret the last line, or extrapolate (based on following it as a guiding principle) that Gary must have been an initiate of Soami Ji, since he obviously couldn’t have been a disciple of Sawan since he is supposedly "the reincarnation of Sawan". That must explain why Gary considers himself the heir apparent to the “inner lineage” of surat shabd yoga, and not the ‘eternal student’ of his own master, Darwin? Yes, the illumination on MP is so brilliant that it is truly blinding. Or perhaps that is one of those "subtleties of the teachings" that people just don't get.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 PM

138 posts, read 245,049 times
Default This says much of what I came to suspect / intuit as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by end_of_faith View Post

Or maybe it is a simple case of many shades of gullible and/or vulnerable spiritual seekers. Your master and his wife often teased me about my “gullibility.” I loved, trusted and believed in them. I feel no shame in saying that I was naïve, young, vulnerable, ignorant, and really stupid to have believed them. What a painfully hard life lesson that turned out to be.

Or, perhaps it is as your master’s wife opined: the chelas of MP are needy desperate people. At the time of hearing this viewpoint, I was quite seared and hurt by the hypocrisy of it, but now, years later, I agree that it must have been an act of very deep-seated desperation and unconscious need to have placed a single erg of faith, trust, love, or belief in the unfounded concept that Gary and Joyce were realized Beings, let alone Saints (of any degree).
Wow!!! This comment about gullibility, vulnerability, neediness, and desperation of chelas @EOF is spot on, it is EXACTLY what I was getting at wrt chelas being taken advantage of by the very self serving, narcissistic, and predatory nature of Gary and the mp policies and doctrines.

It is unfortunate though that those who are still on the mp won't see this until they actually leave the mp, it is the nature of cults for those that follow to NOT BE ABLE to see the group and its leader to be a cult.

If they only had the courage to step away from it, then their real selves would come alive and check this very limiting belief that keeps them chained, and making them a slave.

As far as those that would somehow state that this is from the UMP (Universal Mind Power), let me state this for them:

It is all mind, the mind is what you program into it, it is what you believe, that is your real faith. The mind has different intelligences, in fact multiple intelligences, so there is no need to be arrogant about one's talents / intelligence, different people have different capabilities, and not everyone is going to be focused spiritually.

But according to Gary Olsen, if you don't have an inkling of a spiritual tendency then you're a loser, in tinsel town, or whatever. This is exactly the sort of arrogance that needs to be brought to light, and that this does not serve anyone, well except Gary of course.

Think about what the opposite of what a master is, its a slave, not a student, most people just turn off their discerning mind, something that they are supposed to be developing and using.

Right on sister

Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
wb SoulPatriot -

I understood the references in your last post, (as most chleas will): crows / swans (symbols of the lower / higher soul-self), orange lakes (inner visions of the sea of souls: the Lake of Mansarover), the tunnel of Bunk Nal (explained in the science articles on the 2002 MP website, as the route the soul goes through as it travels various regions in the brain structures) and SGO referring to himself as "dogmeat" (but when does humility count as false?).
Gary referring to him self as “dog meat” is not a sign of humility.

Humility is often a false front we employ to gain power over others.
François de La Rochefoucauld (1613-1680) French writer.

He that humbleth himself wishes to be exalted.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) German-Swiss philosopher and writer.

“I have lived as plain Mr. Jinnah and I hope to die as plain Mr. Jinnah. I am very much averse to any title or honours and I will be more than happy if there was no prefix to my name.”
Muhammad Ali Jinnah (Indian born Pakistani Lawyer and Politician. Founder of the country of Pakistan 1876-1948)

Quote:
The nametags thing doesn't surprise me in the context of the way everything else is run on MP - with Military Precision - e.g. every seminar class starts on-time, to the second - maybe something to do with SGO once being an army-veteran, and Joy a school-teacher perhaps? Anyway, to me, the tag-counting etc seem like hallmarks of any organized organization, with a duty to be fair to its entire congregation, and I'm sure you and all the other chelas who perform/ed loving seva were inspired and assisted by having such structures in place, to stop total chaos ensuing. e.g. "why should i have to pay to enter, if that chela over there just got in for free?" etc...
C’mon Peacemaker, chelas sold cars and homes to buy rice and beans!

“…to stop total chaos ensuing…” What? Are chelas so immature and rambunctious that they are stampeding the doors? Is Gary a spiritual superstar that chelas worship and idolize, drooling over the mere opportunity to brush shoulders with him? Do they lose all control by the thought of being in his “presence?” Do chelas have no sense of decorum or self-containment? That snippet description makes chelas sound like preschool children in need of close supervision.

Who cares if a chela attends a seminar for FREE!? They’ve earned it!

What purpose does your description serve other than to deflect scrutiny of the Consciousness running the show? Why? To cast the appearance that your guru is a perfect human being beyond all reproach? I never heard of, or witnessed a chela project a contention in “paying money” for anything their “master” asked them to buy (e.g. seminar fees)!

But I have witnessed your master project his impatience and indignation when a chela was brave enough to stand up and ask a question, or request him to give Darshan. There was one time in particular when he barely concealed his disdain in being put on the spot by the innocent question of a chela during “his seminar”. He made some comment about how he would miss his plane. I remember thinking: what? You’re flying on privately chartered jet, it leaves when you want it to leave. And in the interest of fairness, it he wasn't flying on the privately chartered jet at that time, I definitely recall knowing that "he would not be missing his plane!" Gary doesn’t appreciate or respond well to questions that he perceives as a challenge to his authority, Peacemaker.

MP counts the nametags chelas are wearing … I wonder who counts and calculates the final numbers recorded by MP? Is there any check and balance policy for the records of MP, besides the “Gary is the living master, therefore, everything he wants, does, and says is straight from God” mentality.
Answer: No.

A quote from Mark Twain …
To die one's self is a thing that must be easy, & light of consequence; but to lose a part of one's self--well, we know how deep that pang goes, we who have suffered that disaster, received that wound which cannot heal.
- Letter to Will Bowen, 11/4/1888
Quote:
The way i see it right in this NOW moment: SGO is sort of like the pope of a spiritual/religious organization, and, as with the Papacy, being leader of MP comes with certain responsibilities, as well as..well, maybe some olive trees...? (Okay, so I'm still processing that one...! But seriously (and this is just my speculation) if SGO is planning to build an institution that out-lives him, as I believe he once said, "he would be happy if MP had a run of 200 years", maybe the reported cash reserves are a legitmate "buffer" to ensure financial stability of an organization over this kind of time period?

What do the MPX-ers with more experience of MP finances opine of that?
My opine is that they need to re-evaluate what it means to be a non-profit. Or, in the words of deepcynic: come clean and declare themselves a business.

“Gary would be happy if MP had a run of 200 years”…hmm, why does Gary care if his “version of L&S” lasts a day or a lifetime? And if it does outlast him, it’ll be just another religious teaching positing that it is the highest, purest, truest ONE path on the planet.

A non-profit is exactly what it means: not for profit!
Will MP have a run of 200 years? Who cares.

Your opine: " as well as..well, maybe some olive trees...? (Okay, so I'm still processing that one...!"

Our opine: Yea, some of us are still processing that one too: One half million $ reportedly spent for that elaborate landscaping!

additional note to Peacemaker: you ask me to elaborate on "no fear of death".... my first experience with death was as a very young girl. Though you are no longer participating on this forum, I do sense that you are keeping abreast of the postings, and so I would like to say good-bye and wish you well.

Peace.

Last edited by end_of_faith; 02-14-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM

268 posts, read 458,134 times
So true end_of_faith. Gary proclaiming himself humble (ie. dogmeat, etc.) should be the first clue to his chelas that he's not.

And on fear of death (or not fearing it), I wanted to bring up near death experiences to make an observation about MP. NDEs are fascinating, especially how similar the feelings and observations are to astral projection/out of body experiences. Whether one believes these are related to "soul" or just biological/neurological processes, the common theme in most of these experiences is essentially that "God is Love".

If we assume for a moment that these extraordinary experiences represent truth - that God is all encompassing love - then what is there to be afraid of? Going back to the true essence of our souls is something beautiful, not scary. Not a reason to drive your car into a telephone pole to bring death about purposefully of course, but certainly a reason to enjoy the life you have and know that you are more than what you see.

So in this way, I see a problem with MasterPath, or at least a big inconsistency. If God is love, then where is the love on MasterPath? Okay, it’s in the meditations/spiritual practices, hearing sound, seeing light, bliss, connecting with your soul, etc. Yes, there is love there. "God" is coming through, I get that.

But Gary? There is no love in Gary appointing himself a "master" and a “born saint”; it can only benefit him to claim such superiority. There is no love in collecting mandatory dues. There is no love in berating those he claims to want to help (ie. students) when they ask for help in the form of clarification. There is no love in Gary instilling fear in people so they won't leave MasterPath. There is no love in trying to destroy other people’s reputations to save his own. There is no love in statements like "I'm not here to save the world" so as not to give to charity. There’s no love in apocalyptic predictions and money for karma quid pro quos. On and on.

And what about the chelas? Where is the love in chelas stockpiling food, batteries, etc. so that they will outlive their neighbors when bird flu attacks? If love and higher consciousness were involved, they would help their neighbors instead of hanging signs on their houses saying "Infected" as a tactic to protect their own food/supplies. Why the fear of death on MasterPath? Why the selfishness? Why the elitism (and total delusion) of believing that membership in MasterPath demonstrates you're special or more advanced? ALL of that is inconsistent with "soul" and higher consciousness! It's not love, it's ego. And isn't that what you’re supposed to fight against?

You're supposed to battle your mind too. I totally get not letting your mind control you and the value of listening to what's within. But it sure is convenient that the part of you that might dissuade you from MP is considered the “bad” part. For instance with Peacemaker, he sees problems with some aspects of MP/Gary. But in the end he happily puts that aside as a pesky distraction of the human brain, in favor of what he sees as his soul’s desire. He’s thoroughly entrenched in the idea that his mind intercepts what's good for his soul, so he just trusts soul. Since he feels connection with the teachings and experiences bliss with MP, it must be right. Think about it, everyone in Heaven’s Gate felt the exact same way. Watch their goodbye videos. They even admit what they’re doing seems crazy and illogical but they trust their so called inner soul's desire...the desire to leave their “containers” and follow Marshall Applewhite to the Hale Bopp Comet. And they’re in total bliss!

Thought, logic, and reason aren't always your enemy. They shouldn't rule over you and make you unhealthy, but “God” did give us brains for a reason. Just a thought.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM

42 posts, read 80,385 times
Smile Just Passin' Thru' / Love is Love

Hi again everyone - hope all is well and all are finding their way and their paths in life - @Violet11 and @Still_Kicking thanks for your good wishes prior to my departure - (trip to San Diego) - I wish the same for you where-ever all our lives lead.

The seminar and SD - the people, the place - were fantastic - @Shuffler, nothing of this forum thread was mentioned in public, as you may or may not have heard from your -in-law, @SoulPatriot, nothing on Doug or Francisco either. I hope they are both finding peace, each in their own way. I believe life IS eternal but can't prove it - it's just an inner-sense: @Violet11 I resonated with a lot of what you wrote regarding not crashing one's car on purpose etc - and I agree that in the wrong "hands" - i.e. someone who IMHO may have misunderstood some of the finer subtleties of the light and sound teachings, and misinterpreted the implication of "eternal-life", reincarnation etc, an imbalanced or unstable mind might be tempted to do something "spiritually silly" such as to murder or commit suicide, but if any friend-or-loved-one-of-mine, regardless of their belief, were ever to even enter into such dark spaces of thought or feeling, I would try to do my utmost to try to disuade them from dwelling in such spaces, e.g. by sharing the joy of being alive in the present life...regardless of one's circumstances, I truly believe that "suicide solves nothing" - I hope this addresses the concerns others might have, about any other light-and-sound follower ever going "postal" or "Applewhite" - love is love - how can anyone ever hurt anyone (including themselves) in a space of Love and Reality?

My heart goes out to anyone in pain or suffering. Pain and suffering have been just as much a part of my journey, as anyone else's in life - Anyway that's all for now: I'll be around on thread, lurking, maybe tossing in the odd line here and there...and always reachable by DM.

"love is love" is the tautology I wanted to end on for now, but will respond to the other points addressed to me on-thread, by DM, if and as seized by the moment.

I hope y'all find your Blisstasy and piece of Personal Inner Ecstasy.

peace n love,

PM21 / the OPTIMYSTIK mysfitt :-)

"Just Passin' Thru' till we reach the next stage
Just to where, well it's all been arranged"

(see: "From Safety to Where" by Joy Division)

YouTube - Joy Division - From Safety to Where

PS - Was just sent these funnies today - at least 2 of them have been told in seminars - those who were there will know! Otherwise, guess-away!

1. The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.

2. I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island, but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian.

3. She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

4. A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.

5. The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work.

6. No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

7. A dog gave birth to puppies near the road and was cited for littering.

8. A grenade thrown into a kitchen in France would result in Linoleum Blownapart.

9. Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.

10. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

11. A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.

12. Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

13. Two hats were hanging on a hat rack in the hallway. One hat said to the other, 'You stay here; I'll go on a head.'

14. I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

15. A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said: 'Keep off the Grass.'

16. A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said, 'No change yet.'

17. A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

19. The short fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.

20. The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.

21. A backward poet writes inverse.

22. In democracy it's your vote that counts. In feudalism it's your count that votes.

23. When cannibals ate a missionary, they got a taste of religion.

24. Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!

Last edited by PeaceMaker21; 02-26-2010 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: added link to the vid + full list of puns - done now

Old 02-26-2010, 03:42 PM

268 posts, read 458,134 times
Quote:
@Violet11 I resonated with a lot of what you wrote regarding not crashing one's car on purpose etc - and I agree that in the wrong "hands" - i.e. someone who IMHO may have misunderstood some of the finer subtleties of the light and sound teachings, and misinterpreted the implication of "eternal-life", reincarnation etc, an imbalanced or unstable mind might be tempted to do something "spiritually silly" such as to murder or commit suicide, but if any friend-or-loved-one-of-mine, regardless of their belief, were ever to even enter into such dark spaces of thought or feeling, I would try to do my utmost to try to disuade them from dwelling in such spaces, e.g. by sharing the joy of being alive in the present life...regardless of one's circumstances, I truly believe that "suicide solves nothing" - I hope this addresses the concerns others might have, about any other light-and-sound follower ever going "postal" or "Applewhite" - love is love - how can anyone ever hurt anyone (including themselves) in a space of Love and Reality?
Hi Peacemaker. Your post puzzles me because I never implied that light and sound paths influence people to murder or commit suicide. Nor has anyone here indicated any homicidal or suicidal tendencies to my knowledge.

There were two basic points to the post you're referring to, neither were addressed by what you wrote today. And neither point was centered around killing of any kind. The points were:

1) MP members seem more focused on themselves and saving their own lives than their fellow man. Examples being:
a) Stockpiling for bird flu pandemic after Gary warned them that "Kal" was going to be making his rounds on earth. The extreme measures taken per Gary's instruction indicate a fear of death seemingly inconsistent with the professed faith. Key word = extreme.

b) Another example being Gary's insistence that he is not here to save the world, so MasterPath does not participate in or donate to charitable causes. In other words, MasterPath's only cause is MasterPath, screw everyone else - which is totally inconsistent with the focus on soul and higher consciousness Gary/MP claims.
2) You being content with Gary and your chosen path, and coming to peace with the issues raised here - a conclusion you base on something that is "beyond logic and reason". Something that passes all understanding because it's on the inner, your soul, not comprehensible by the human mind, etc. - is the same peace, contentment, bliss that convinced Heaven's Gate followers to trust the source of their bliss as opposed to logic. In other words, what you interpret as your inexplicable inner spiritual guidance could be the same kind of mind-f*** that happens in other cults...not just suicide cults, but ANY cult.

Glad you enjoyed the meeting. Hope you all got nice Gary/Joy-esque tans!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 PM

5 posts, read 12,468 times
There are many common perceptions about cults and their members which simply are not accurate... Most cult members do not live together, dress alike or sport the same haircut- Nor are they monotone zombies unable to function in society. To the contrary, personal appeal abounds and the "Love Bomb" is always exploding to welcome new members into their elite, spiritually superior group.

I find it interesting that current Masterpath followers in this forum want to debate the doctrine/teachings while former members seem to reveal the negative effects that group membership had on their life in addition to the general hypocrisy surrounding the leader. People eventually leave groups like Masterpath when they recognize membership comes with a huge personal price... If anyone genuinely thinks Masterpath will enhance their relationships with "non-believers" they are sadly mistaken.

Masterpath is a religious group designed for the benefit of one person: Gary Olsen, it's leader. He uses misleading recruiting tactics (personal growth seminars), subjects his followers to isolation techniques "you are all alone, the only one you can trust is yourself" (besides Gary, of course) while teaching advanced meditation and exposing the individuals to hypnotic suggestion. There are documented cases of Masterpath followers making bizarre life changing decisions after declaring their spiritual superiority based entirely on this group's doctrine which ironically, is mostly plagiarized. Masterpath might best be described as a financial scam masquerading as a spirituality awareness group or simply stated, a cult.

Masterpath has been identified as a cult (fraud, bogus) by everyone from psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers to Sarlo's Guru Rating Service and virtually every member of the International Cultic Studies Association (cult experts). Even the plain language of the Urban Dictionary is clear:
In sum, Master Path is a cult that feeds on troubled souls. It kills self-identity and the ability to think for yourself. Its group structure is authoritarian, its methods are insidious, and its net effect is truly toxic. If you have loved ones who are involved, seek help before it is too late.

Cults are a wolf in sheep's clothing and Masterpath is (unfortunately) a classic example. A highly recommended book for the basic knowledge of how cults operate is Steven Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control. Another outstanding book especially for individuals recovering from membership in a high demand group (destructive cult) is Hassan's Releasing the Bonds. This book is quoted as helpful on page 99 of this forum by a former Masterpath member.

If light and sound spirituality is appealing to you, there certainly are some reputable teachers, guru's etc worthy of checking out... Masterpath is definitely not one of them.

Last edited by GeorgeTG; 02-27-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM

138 posts, read 245,049 times
Default a couple more points to consider

Great perspective and info @GeorgeTG, thank you.

Do current/former MP members remember the seminars on the Atlantian's? The reason why I bring this up, is what does that have to do with spirituality? It came back to my memory a little while back, and couldn't connect why this subject would even be brought up, I mean it has absolutely no relevance to anyone's spirituality in the here and now whatsoever. What a load of crap.

How about this one, do you remember when Gary mentioned that to have a conscience is the equivalent of being conned, "con + science"? Let me put this another way, to be without a conscience is to be a sociopath. Who wants to sign up for that?

So anyone talking about this sort of attitude of not having a conscience, being above others in their perspective, is really just leading themselves down a path of self destruction, now that is delusion.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,044,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTG View Post
There are many common perceptions about cults and their members which simply are not accurate... Most cult members do not live together, dress alike or sport the same haircut- Nor are they monotone zombies unable to function in society. To the contrary, personal appeal abounds and the "Love Bomb" is always exploding to welcome new members into their elite, spiritually superior group.

I find it interesting that current Masterpath followers in this forum want to debate the doctrine/teachings while former members seem to reveal the negative effects that group membership had on their life in addition to the general hypocrisy surrounding the leader. People eventually leave groups like Masterpath when they recognize membership comes with a huge personal price... If anyone genuinely thinks Masterpath will enhance their relationships with "non-believers" they are sadly mistaken.

Masterpath is a religious group designed for the benefit of one person: Gary Olsen, it's leader. He uses misleading recruiting tactics (personal growth seminars), subjects his followers to isolation techniques "you are all alone, the only one you can trust is yourself" (besides Gary, of course) while teaching advanced meditation and exposing the individuals to hypnotic suggestion. There are documented cases of Masterpath followers making bizarre life changing decisions after declaring their spiritual superiority based entirely on this group's doctrine which ironically, is mostly plagiarized. Masterpath might best be described as a financial scam masquerading as a spirituality awareness group or simply stated, a cult.

Masterpath has been identified as a cult (fraud, bogus) by everyone from psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers to Sarlo's Guru Rating Service and virtually every member of the International Cultic Studies Association (cult experts). Even the plain language of the Urban Dictionary is clear:
In sum, Master Path is a cult that feeds on troubled souls. It kills self-identity and the ability to think for yourself. Its group structure is authoritarian, its methods are insidious, and its net effect is truly toxic. If you have loved ones who are involved, seek help before it is too late.

Cults are a wolf in sheep's clothing and Masterpath is (unfortunately) a classic example. A highly recommended book for the basic knowledge of how cults operate is Steven Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control. Another outstanding book especially for individuals recovering from membership in a high demand group (destructive cult) is Hassan's Releasing the Bonds. This book is quoted as helpful on page 99 of this forum by a former Masterpath member.

If light and sound spirituality is appealing to you, there certainly are some reputable teachers, guru's etc worthy of checking out... Masterpath is definitely not one of them.
Very nice! Thank you for citing the specific examples of entities that recognize the reality of Gary Olsen and Master Path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality