Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:02 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,465,196 times

Advertisements

John 13:34 A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
John 13:35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Buddhist Yammakavagga Verses

Mind is the forerunner of (all evil) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with wicked mind, suffering follows one, even as the wheel follows the hoof of the draught-ox.
Mind is the forerunner of (all good) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind, AFFECTION follows one, even as one's shadow that never leaves.

``He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who harbour such thoughts hatred is not appeased.
``He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred is appeased.

Hate is not overcome by hate; by Love (Metta) alone is hate appeased. This is an eternal law.
The others know not that in this quarrel we perish; those of them who realise it, have their quarrels calmed thereby.

Bhagavad gita 2:20 "For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain."

Bhagavad gita 2:23 "The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon, nor burned by fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind."

Al-Fatiha
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,The Beneficent, the Merciful.
Owner of the Day of Judgment, Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help.
Show us the straight path, (
The path of those whom Thou hast favoured. Not (the path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray.

Thoughts on the Spirituality of Atheism

I believe in two things above all: Nature and love. Nature is all-powerful. Love is how I understand the good. C. George Boeree

Peace, Love, Light, Harmony

Last edited by Travelling fella; 07-19-2008 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:54 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,699,577 times
Sounds very reasonable to me, now if just the rest of the world would believed that.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,801,432 times
I agree, I think there are many ways back to God. Choosing a path is the only requirement. Whether you choose humanity, nature, spirit, christianity, muslim, buddahist, ect... Choose one that works for you and get aligned with inner peace, then you will know God.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:39 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,912 times
I dunno.
I only believe that there is only 1 absolute truth: that there is no absolute truth.
So it is reasonable for me to believe that there could be more than 1 truth.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:47 PM

599 posts, read 1,263,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I dunno.
I only believe that there is only 1 absolute truth: that there is no absolute truth.
So it is reasonable for me to believe that there could be more than 1 truth.
First you say there is one absolute truth and then you say there is no absolute truth.....which is it?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Deb in VA
Quote:
First you say there is one absolute truth and then you say there is no absolute truth.....which is it?
Declaring that there is no absolute truth is in fact an absolute truth.
So I only declare that there is only 1 absolute truth: that there is no absolute truth.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:14 PM

599 posts, read 1,263,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Deb in VA Declaring that there is no absolute truth is in fact an absolute truth.
So I only declare that there is only 1 absolute truth: that there is no absolute truth.
Ah I see, the gospel according to TrickyD ...(still can't have it both ways though)

Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deb in VA
Quote:
Ah I see, the gospel according to TrickyD ...(still can't have it both ways though)
I am not having it both ways, I'm trying to move away from dualistic thinking.
So I'd say that I'm only trying to be as accurate as I can be.
Once you understand what I'm trying to say you'll not find it a paradox anymore.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 PM

70 posts, read 229,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
How about - The closest you could probably come to 'truth' is that there is no absolute truth??

Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by movingsoon123
Quote:
How about - The closest you could come to 'truth' is that there is no absolute truth??
That would be the same as claiming that there is no absolute truth, which simply makes it an absolute truth again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality