Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM

72 posts, read 229,427 times

Advertisements

Congrats to the OP. This is one of the better threads on this site. For a long time I was going to start something similar but, being basically a procrastinator, I never got to it.
There is a lot of logical rational to support the position there is only one truth and many paths.
1. If you set aside religion as salvation for a moment and focus instead on the OUTCOMES of how people should live their lives - then everything is similar. Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Islam, native spirituality, Confuscion, etc, all describe love, compassion, forgiveness, service to others, etc, etc as character traits we should all ascribe to.
2. If there was only one truth or religion, all the others would wither and die like a fad or cult. Yesterday I was visited by Mormons. I have known Mormons in my life and that faith definitely works for them, as does Roman Catholiscism, United Church of Christ, Quakers, Presbyterians, Wiccans, Unity, Unitarians, and the other truth focused (LOVE) faiths. The ones that are founded by men for the sake of their own selfish ends do not last.
3. The analogy I use is God as you understand God, planted a garden of truth. For some it is manifested by adhering the Southern Baptist theology, for others it meant Lutheranism for others Hinduist practices. It is similar to Education pedagogy. Any good teacher knows to mold the teaching to the style receptive for that particular student. That may mean auditory lessons for one kid, visual displays for another, rote lectures for another, physical animation for yet another. Same curriculum, different means of delivery.

In another thread, they are debating the differences between the Catholic church and Lutheran Church down to the subatomic level. It works for all if it is based on truth and love. Do you really think the millions of Episcopalians are going to be cast into eternal hell because they do not subscribe to subsection 3, paragraph XXXVII, Article 95 devised and agreed by MEN at the council of Worms in 1122?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM

70 posts, read 229,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by movingsoon123 Not anymore, since you have convinced me that you only seek the truth instead of wanting to appear as a high-brow philosopher.
I take that as a compliment - and with that, I will call it a day!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:15 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,266,140 times
Originally Posted by movingsoon123
Quote:
I take that as a compliment
It is.
I just don't hand out compliments as if people would pay me for it.
And that is the honest truth ( had to type this so I won't be accused of going off topic).

Old 07-20-2008, 04:25 AM

148 posts, read 295,059 times
How do you know: which way is right and wich way is wrong?

Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,348,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I agree, I think there are many ways back to God. Choosing a path is the only requirement. Whether you choose humanity, nature, spirit, christianity, muslim, buddahist, ect... Choose one that works for you and get aligned with inner peace, then you will know God.
Buddhists do not believe in a god thing.
Anyone can be a buddha, it simply means enlightened.
I know you are well meaning, but do not push your god concept on me.
I look inward for answers, not outward as you find in religions.

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-20-2008 at 05:16 AM..

Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 AM

70 posts, read 229,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a slave of Allah View Post
I don't know. And I don't trust people who claim to "know" either.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:13 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,266,140 times
Originally Posted by a slave of Allah
Quote:
I guess it all depends on the situation.
There is no one way to solve all problems.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,457,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a slave of Allah View Post
God gave us a consciosuness which is the measurer, how do you feel is the indicator, having evil thoughts usually leads to unhappiness, restlessness and lack of inner peace, commiting evil actions magnifies the effects.

Men is an expert of twisting that consciousness by the use of justifications, but deep within every human knows when they made a mistake.

All religions, tell us that love, forgivenesss and virtue are the right way, that the goal is purity, honesty and unconditional love, that we should be strong, and wage war against our evil tendencies until they can be defeated and subdued.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:29 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,457,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Without the desire of pushing any concept of God in you and with all respect, I think that Buddha never claimed there was a God, but he never claimed there wasn't either.

What Buddha tried to say is that instead of arguing if there is a God or not, and if XXX God from XXX religion is the right one, all paths claim that the goal is purity of heart and mind, compassion and unconditional love, and the absence of desires and suffering, and that those answers are found within, because if you base your faith or happiness in external things you will just be deceived.

In this we all agree, because we are all looking the same thing, some people call it God, others Ishwara, Yaveh, Nirvana, it doesn't matter really, Buddha was aware of this and this is the reason he was a reformer. Buddha is to Hinduism what Christ was to Judaism, but Hindus didn't crucify Buddha, we follow his example as an enlightened being, we do the same with Christ.

Buddha means enlightened and everybody can be a Buddha, this is exactly what Christ means, and everybody can be a Christ (contrary to religious dogma) this is exactly what Avatar means, and everybody can wake his inner Avatar, the Buddhas, Christs, Avatars, Prophets, Saints and Sages from all ages left the instructions to awaken that truth within us.

Buddhist Yammakavagga - The Pairs

Verses 1-2

Mind is the forerunner of (all evil) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with wicked mind, suffering follows one, even as the wheel follows the hoof of the draught-ox.

Mind is the forerunner of (all good) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind, AFFECTION follows one, even as one's shadow that never leaves.

Verses 3-4

``He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who harbour such thoughts hatred is not appeased.
``He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred is appeased.

Verse 17-18

Here he suffers, hereafter he suffers. In both states the evildoer suffers. ``Evil have I done'' (thinking thus), he suffers. Furthermore, he suffers, having gone to a woeful state.

Here he is happy, hereafter he is happy. In both states the welldoer is happy. ``Good have I done'' (thinking thus), he is happy. Furthermore, is he happy, having gone to a blissful state.

Verse 19-20

Though much he recites the Sacred Texts, but acts not accordingly, that heedless man is like a cowherd who counts others' kine. He has no share in the fruits of the Holy life.

Though little he recites the Sacred Texts, but acts in accordance with the teaching, forsaking lust, hatred and ignorance, truly knowing, with mind well freed, clinging to naught here and hereafter, he shares the fruits of the Holy life.

Peace, Love, Light, Harmony

Last edited by Travelling fella; 07-20-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,796,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As long as you have found your peace, I see nothing wrong with not believing in "God". If a certain religion works for some I respect that, if someone chooses a spiritual path instead I would agree with that, and if a person chooses to not believe in a God I respect that as well.

And I couldn't agree more with looking inward, the answers are within, but some choose a religion and that's ok too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality