Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Euthanasia
I'm all for it 22 68.75%
I'm all against it 6 18.75%
Beef Brisket is better than pulled pork 5 15.63%
Pulled pork is better than beef brisket 7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,640,149 times

Advertisements

Well I know I completely support euthanasia but I was having a conversation about it with my Mother once and she brought up an interesting point. If euthanasia became widely accepted she feels that it might make people feel obligated to take their own lives when they're no longer able to take care of themselves and their children are facing financial difficulties paying for long term nursing care. This actually happened to my aunt who passed away recently. Four or five years ago she had to be put into a nursing home and her son and daughter, my cousins, had to pay for it and one could afford it and the other couldn't and they had a huge fight about the issue and didn't speak to each other until right before my aunt's death. To be honest I would rather be dead if I couldn't even bathe myself but I wouldn't want people like my Mother to feel like she was a burden if those circumstances ever occurred to her. I would take care of her no matter what I had to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 09:34 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Well I know I completely support euthanasia but I was having a conversation about it with my Mother once and she brought up an interesting point. If euthanasia became widely accepted she feels that it might make people feel obligated to take their own lives when they're no longer able to take care of themselves and their children are facing financial difficulties paying for long term nursing care. This actually happened to my aunt who passed away recently. Four or five years ago she had to be put into a nursing home and her son and daughter, my cousins, had to pay for it and one could afford it and the other couldn't and they had a huge fight about the issue and didn't speak to each other until right before my aunt's death. To be honest I would rather be dead if I couldn't even bathe myself but I wouldn't want people like my Mother to feel like she was a burden if those circumstances ever occurred to her. I would take care of her no matter what I had to do.
In all honesty, Japan is dealing with this a lot. In fact, they've been having issues with it for a while now. Suicide is something in their culture that goes back a long way. It was primarily used by the samurai when they let down their fellow man and it's something ingrained in their culture. Come to think of it, I was on a train once and the train suddenly stopped and an announcement came on. I looked at my soon to be wife and asked her what it was and she looked at me very nonchalantly and said "Someone threw themself on the tracks." At first, I thought she meant the train I was riding on but apparently it was on the train ahead of us.

The problem over there, not to sound overly crude, is that the people live FOREVER! There is a tremendous age gap problem where there are a bunch of 80,90, and even 100-years olds whose kids are still having to take care of them. So, rather than be a burden they just go their own way. But, it's also very prevalent amongst the business world if you are deemed a failure.

Your mom may have a very valid point, Montana.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:42 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,248,423 times
[quote=GCSTroop;4262591]In all honesty, Japan is dealing with this a lot. In fact, they've been having issues with it for a while now. Suicide is something in their culture that goes back a long way.[ QUOTE]

That may be so, but you can't just blame the Euthinasia

Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
That may be so, but you can't just blame the Euthinasia

That was tricky... I almost missed that one. Good one!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:45 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,362,651 times
Quote:
It is the classic rock and the hard spot. I think this is the reason we have so much of a problem with the issue.
I don’t think I could make such a decision for any one but myself. I would not like to see any body I know go; I hate losing family and friends, and think it is much easier to go than be left behind.
Hope a living will direct my doctors if the time come for me, and will remove that burden off my family.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
[font=Verdana]It is the classic rock and the hard spot.
I'm not sure if classic rock has anything to do with it although I hear if you listen to Helter Skelter backwards you turn into some sort of Manson follower...

Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,640,149 times
I know one thing, I'm not going to spend my golden years groveling over a bed pan in a nursing home. If I even start going bald or find out I need dentures I'm checking out.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,559,205 times
Quote:
I know one thing, I'm not going to spend my golden years groveling over a bed pan in a nursing home. If I even start going bald or find out I need dentures I'm checking out.

I hope you are joking

Old 06-28-2008, 05:39 PM

655 posts, read 918,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
In all honesty, Japan is dealing with this a lot. In fact, they've been having issues with it for a while now. Suicide is something in their culture that goes back a long way. It was primarily used by the samurai when they let down their fellow man and it's something ingrained in their culture. Come to think of it, I was on a train once and the train suddenly stopped and an announcement came on. I looked at my soon to be wife and asked her what it was and she looked at me very nonchalantly and said "Someone threw themself on the tracks." At first, I thought she meant the train I was riding on but apparently it was on the train ahead of us.

The problem over there, not to sound overly crude, is that the people live FOREVER! There is a tremendous age gap problem where there are a bunch of 80,90, and even 100-years olds whose kids are still having to take care of them. So, rather than be a burden they just go their own way. But, it's also very prevalent amongst the business world if you are deemed a failure.

Your mom may have a very valid point, Montana.
Japanese business men, especially the old school type, believe that a CEO who's company fails should commit suicide. An engineer who builds a structure and it fails should commit suicide. If you eat sushi and try the poison blowfish and the sushi chef did not properly prepare it and you get poisoned, it is customary for the chef to commit suicide by falling on a large sword. This actually happens too.

As for Japense living so long, it is the high concentration of these things: Seafood, vegetables, soy, green tea. If we learned to eat their diet for a lifetime, we would live to be 100 also.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:41 PM

599 posts, read 1,261,950 times
Quote:
I'll never forget the case of Terri Schiavo in Florida some time ago which demonstrated how irrational our legal system is when it comes to the suffering of an individual and how society should deal with the various afflictions that happen to people. First off, I do believe in euthanasia if it's requested by the person who is suffering and it can be verified that the medical condition is terminal and would avoid unnecessary pain and suffering. That just seems to be the humane thing to do, however in Terri Schiavo's situation she was unable to voice her opinions and even though her parents were willing to take care of her for her lifetime her husband prevailed in court and the result was that her feeding tube was removed and she literally starved to death. Also, she was not facing inevitable death due to something like advanced cancer and she was not in pain, she was in a coma. It's clear to me that the conflicting beliefs of individuals coupled with a legal system that is not up to the task resulted in a painful and unnecessary death due to the wishes of her self centered husband who ignored the emotional pleas of Terri's parents and was only interested in himself. This whole topic has many complexities that need to be addressed by our courts and this particular incident was nothing short of legalized murder in the opinion of this liberal atheist Democrat.
I agree with everything you said MG....couldn't rep you so I had to tell you here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality