Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 02:55 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,392,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Neither Buddhist, nor Hindus, believe that their religion is the only way, or that others who believe something different won't be freed

Buddhist believe that anyone can become a Buddha, and Hindus believe in:

*Ekam Sat Vipra Bahudha Vadanti: (One Truth; Many Names and Forms) The realization that the spirit assumes infinite forms.

*Advaita & Divaita: Spiritual-Reality is non-dual (absolute) and dual (relative) or "One and Many." (Therefore, Hinduism does not claim to be an only way but rather respects all sincere religious paths.)

Both Hindus and Buddhists, rather than seeking salvation, seek liberation or Moksha, from the reincarnational round, and this is attained by our own effort, although in the case of hindus, a guru usually guides the seeker, only humans who have recovered their unity with spirit and are trully freed can be gurus, they can be still on the physical plane or not.

regards!
Thy talking to some one from Niching Shush. But you are dealing with semantics here. Most Westerners probably do not understand what you mean by "liberation" let alone term like "Moksha". If you talk with a westerner you have to use his terms unless he is versed as you are and then there probably would be no need to talk. But using Buddhist or any other religion's terms to a Western Christian is for the most part non.-productive. You said "liberation". It wouldn't take 20 seconds for an Evangelical Christian to translate that in to the word "salvation" from where he is standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 03:42 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,636,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Yet, if the Bible was written just by the overzealous, that in it self would not explain the accuracy of the Bibles prophecies. And many of those detailed prophecies are happening in the day we live. Certainly the author of the Bible must of been someone with advanced knowledge of future events. How would you explain the Bibles accuracy, unless God Himself was in control of the Bibles content?
I don't believe the Bible has a corner-market on prophecies, nor the accuracy thereof, (not to mention that the accuracy has much to do with the interpretation of the individual who is reading the Bible, in the first place. Rather like reading Nostradamus). Although there is much good in the Bible, and I believe that our Creator did influence some of it, I would contend that, for myself, I have found as much good in other written and oral works, ("holy" and otherwise), as I have found in the Bible. I will say, that I believe folks should have some knowledge of the Bible, partially because it does have some good teachings, partially because it is the fascinating story of a people, (and of the development of both Judaism and Christianity), and in particular because, for both good and ill, it had a strong influence on the development of Western Civilization.

Given the fact that folks can only prove the Bible, using the Bible, (speaking of spiritual matters, not archaeological, or historical. There is some accuracy where these are concerned), I don't find this to be an argument that God wrote the Bible; I believe it to be circular logic. I have absolutely nothing against those who do believe that God wrote it; I just simply don't hold with it, myself. I look at it this way: there's nothing inherently wrong with a "revealed" religion, but we must remember that only the one to whom it was originally revealed, has an obligation, if you will, to believe it. If someone came to you, and "revealed" that Cookie Monster had given "holy" scripture, would you be under obligation to believe, or would you have every right to question, and/or reject such a claim? So it is with the Bible, or any other holy book. Indeed, Christians thoroughly reject the Quran, because they do not believe it is God's word, (no matter how ardently the Muslims believe it), and they certainly have that right. This is the right of any person to accept or reject anyone who claims to be a prophet of God, or any holy writ, that proclaims to come from the mouth of God. For unless it was revealed directly to you, from the deity in question, where is our "proof" that it is indeed, beyond a shadow of a doubt, from that deity? This now moves us into the realm of faith, which is the only place for it, and indeed, the best place, as faith is how our Creator reaches us, not through empirical evidence.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:23 PM

7,628 posts, read 11,000,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I don't believe the Bible has a corner-market on prophecies, nor the accuracy thereof, (not to mention that the accuracy has much to do with the interpretation of the individual who is reading the Bible, in the first place. Rather like reading Nostradamus). Although there is much good in the Bible, and I believe that our Creator did influence some of it, I would contend that, for myself, I have found as much good in other written and oral works, ("holy" and otherwise), as I have found in the Bible. I will say, that I believe folks should have some knowledge of the Bible, partially because it does have some good teachings, partially because it is the fascinating story of a people, (and of the development of both Judaism and Christianity), and in particular because, for both good and ill, it had a strong influence on the development of Western Civilization.

Given the fact that folks can only prove the Bible, using the Bible, (speaking of spiritual matters, not archaeological, or historical. There is some accuracy where these are concerned), I don't find this to be an argument that God wrote the Bible; I believe it to be circular logic. I have absolutely nothing against those who do believe that God wrote it; I just simply don't hold with it, myself. I look at it this way: there's nothing inherently wrong with a "revealed" religion, but we must remember that only the one to whom it was originally revealed, has an obligation, if you will, to believe it. If someone came to you, and "revealed" that Cookie Monster had given "holy" scripture, would you be under obligation to believe, or would you have every right to question, and/or reject such a claim? So it is with the Bible, or any other holy book. Indeed, Christians thoroughly reject the Quran, because they do not believe it is God's word, (no matter how ardently the Muslims believe it), and they certainly have that right. This is the right of any person to accept or reject anyone who claims to be a prophet of God, or any holy writ, that proclaims to come from the mouth of God. For unless it was revealed directly to you, from the deity in question, where is our "proof" that it is indeed, beyond a shadow of a doubt, from that deity? This now moves us into the realm of faith, which is the only place for it, and indeed, the best place, as faith is how our Creator reaches us, not through empirical evidence.
The prophecies of the Bible were written long before many historical events took place. And what we find as history has moved forward, is confirmation of those Prophecies. And often the history that fulfilled the prophecies found in the Bible, was fulfilled by non believers in the Bible. That is where faith often comes from, because it is faith that is built on truth. Anyone can say they believe their religion is true, but show me a religion that is built on prophecies that can be show to be true, and I will show you a faith that is real. The Bible tells us 2600 years ago that God would allow the Jews to return to the land of Israel near the end of time. The Bible tells us they would take Jerusalem back by force, and Israel would be surrounded by enemies. The Bible tells us that world attention at this time would be focused on the control of Jerusalem. The Bible tells us Jerusalems East Gate would be sealed, and all attempts to open the Gate would fail. The bible tells us that the earth at this time would start to heat up because of the sun. The Bible has so much more to say about the end times before Christ returns, and all that is stated is true, and you will not find any other world religions with this kind of truthful details. The Bible is telling you the truth. Do you take that truth and ignore it? Can you show me in the Quran where it gives this sort of truthful details of the end times? Is there some other religion that gives us such truthful details of the end times? I do believe the Bible has cornered the market on truthful prophecy, and I can say that, because only God knows the future. And I also know that no other religious Book outside of the Bible has 100% accuracy. Nostradamus was a Jonny come lately when it comes to Bible prophecy. And much of what he pushed was already stated in the Scriptures. And much of what he stated is obscured at best, where as the Bible is far more detailed.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,352,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
No this is not true. It is elitist. The Buddhist say you must have the Buddha nature to asccend to heaven. Do you know what the Buddha nature is? You also sound like a Protestant. That's fine except for me, I am a Catholic and I certainly don't want to be beholden to a bunch of Protestants for all eternity so I think I'll go to Catholic heaven. How about Muslims? They seem to be as convinIced as you that their way is the right path...it is...for them. Do you want a bunch of Sunnis running around your heaven. After what I have heard and read from evangelic Protestant religious leaders I don't think you'sd be happy with muslims in your heaven. Leave well enough a lone. Instead of worrying about everyone else's destiny take care of your own.

You have you beliefs I have mine. I respect yours and refuse to throw mine in your face because you seem happy with yours. I can assure you that I am happy with mine so please don't tell me I am going to hell because my beliefs are different from yours. That in itself is a form of evil as far as I am concerned.
In other words you doubt the validity of Jesus words and have your own reasoning.

Last edited by the_pines; 06-28-2008 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
In other words you doubt the validity of Jesus words and have your own reasoning.

No I feel that you are telling me that your religion is the best and mine is false. That's hardly a Christian attitude. I do not believe that within Christendom anyone sect has a more valid answer than any other. But can you prove beyond a reasonable doubt that those who do not accept or know of Christ in the manner that you do are not at all, are doomed? That's is the question. it is not the word of Christ you are pervaing it is your own word and you are using the name of Christ to promote your own thought to the detriment of others.

I do not doubt the words of any great spiritual leader be i Christ, Gautama, Mohamed or Zarathustra etc..but I definitely am very careful with the words of those who fanatically follow them and say theirs is the only way. As I said I am a Roman Catholic. The Holy Father in Rome says that the Roman Catholic Church is the "only true church". If I promote this idea I am insulting All Protestants including you not to mention Orthodox Christians and Billions of other souls. As a person who seeks spirituality I must in all good faith refuse to do this. No man is my master. Not the Pope in Rome nor a self ordained minister nor an anonymous voice on the Internet. I refuse to condemn you even though you are of another faith. Should I do that my own faith would be worth nothing.

But in the end you have answered none of my questions so I must assume that either an answer will show that you are being narrow minded at best or you o not have any answers to my questions. You tactic of avoiding the questions is very clever but I can see through it...unless you choose to accept and answer the questions one by one. In the final analysis I have also to ask you, "Where is your sense of tolerance that Christ speaks of?"

Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
No I feel that you are telling me that your religion is the best and mine is false. That's hardly a Christian attitude. I do not believe that within Christendom anyone sect has a more valid answer than any other. But can you prove beyond a reasonable doubt that those who do not accept or know of Christ in the manner that you do are not at all, are doomed? That's is the question. it is not the word of Christ you are pervaing it is your own word and you are using the name of Christ to promote your own thought to the detriment of others.

I do not doubt the words of any great spiritual leader be i Christ, Gautama, Mohamed or Zarathustra etc..but I definitely am very careful with the words of those who fanatically follow them and say theirs is the only way. As I said I am a Roman Catholic. The Holy Father in Rome says that the Roman Catholic Church is the "only true church". If I promote this idea I am insulting All Protestants including you not to mention Orthodox Christians and Billions of other souls. As a person who seeks spirituality I must in all good faith refuse to do this. No man is my master. Not the Pope in Rome nor a self ordained minister nor an anonymous voice on the Internet. I refuse to condemn you even though you are of another faith. Should I do that my own faith would be worth nothing.

But in the end you have answered none of my questions so I must assume that either an answer will show that you are being narrow minded at best or you o not have any answers to my questions. You tactic of avoiding the questions is very clever but I can see through it...unless you choose to accept and answer the questions one by one. In the final analysis I have also to ask you, "Where is your sense of tolerance that Christ speaks of?"

Jesus wasn't very tolerant when he went into the Temple and saw that they had turned the Temple into a Market place! Enraged, he threw over tables.

Jesus wasn't very tolerant when he told the Pharisee Jews off and said they were of their father the Devil. He wasn't afraid to challenge people.

Jesus brought in a 'New and Living Way'. He said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, No man comes to the Father except through me". It couldn't be any clearer really. Jesus was saying that HE is the ONLY way.

As a Christian, I follow Christ. We are to Love our Enemies, do good to those who don't deserve it, turn the other cheek. But, on matters of faith, we are to stand firm and be INTOLERANT of any deviances from the truth. We are to be the Light of the World - we should not hide our light out of fear of recrimination.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Jesus wasn't very tolerant when he went into the Temple and saw that they had turned the Temple into a Market place! Enraged, he threw over tables.

Jesus wasn't very tolerant when he told the Pharisee Jews off and said they were of their father the Devil. He wasn't afraid to challenge people.

Jesus brought in a 'New and Living Way'. He said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, No man comes to the Father except through me". It couldn't be any clearer really. Jesus was saying that HE is the ONLY way.

As a Christian, I follow Christ. We are to Love our Enemies, do good to those who don't deserve it, turn the other cheek. But, on matters of faith, we are to stand firm and be INTOLERANT of any deviances from the truth. We are to be the Light of the World - we should not hide our light out of fear of recrimination.
The recrimination will come from God if you continue along that path. Do you not see that that what you propose is not Christian at all but domineering fascism that the Muslims are trying to use on the rest of the world. I see no difference in your bellicose talk than I do in theirs. May the Almighty show you the true path and God willing, you escape the influence of the false prophets.

The intolerance you speak of in Christ was not the type of domineering intolerance that your words purvey. It is quite different. But if you feel that spreading the word of Christ can be accomplished by intolerance then you must do that but remember that is exactly what the Islamic fundamentalists are advocating. So you will become no different then them.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,869,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I totally agree. I found the article to be a positive sign. Intolerance of other religions and Bible literalism scares me as much as Islamic extremism. Luckily Christian extremists, according to this poll, are a small minority of Americans.
But seemingly a majority of the type of Christians who post here.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:45 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,912 times
Originally Posted by Tom9
Quote:
You also sound like a Protestant. That's fine except for me, I am a Catholic and I certainly don't want to be beholden to a bunch of Protestants for all eternity so I think I'll go to Catholic heaven. How about Muslims?
So you are saying that my deceased Catholic father will never meet my Protestant mother in the afterlife?
I guess this is 1 of the reasons why I don't believe in organised religion.
And it also explains why I don’t believe in an afterlife.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tom9So you are saying that my deceased Catholic father will never meet my Protestant mother in the afterlife?
I guess this is 1 of the reasons why I don't believe in organised religion.
And it also explains why I don’t believe in an afterlife.
Maybe they give out weekend passes so that you can visit other heavens. I think many of us should visit other heavens. It broadens the mind. Besides we could see a lot of old friends that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality