Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:23 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,975,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Oakback wrote:

I've really studied evolution and consider it to be a fact based on the evidence. The one major thing that we really don't understand is the transformation of non living material to single celled life which is known as abiogenesis. We certainly can't claim to know all of the answers but the scientific method is the only effective means of gaining an understanding of nature and how life came into existence. At the rate that human knowledge is expanding it seems probable that at some point in the future we'll have a clear understanding of physics, the origins of life, and many questions will be answered. When you consider how much we've learned in just the last century it seems inevitable.
Well it appears the only evidence is based on speculation, and much of the physcial evidence cannot be even agreeded on by the Evolutionist.
Certainly the fossil record is empty and shows little support for the theory. And it also appears most of what is believed to be evidence for evolution requires very active imaginations. Certainly Darwin himself felt that many of his questions would be answered in the future. Well hope springs eternal. Still we have not moved much beyond the time of Darwin, and most of his questions still remain questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
Campbell34 wrote:
Quote:
There are thousands of breeds of dogs as well but it would be foolish to believe they all had to exist at the same time.
Actually most of the breeds of dogs are only a couple of hundred years old. Breeding them became popular in the 1800's but they're still part of the same species and that's what I'm referring in my OP. According to the Bible God created every living thing and they coexisted during the same time period and then Noah supposedly saved all of those land animals to repopulate the earth after the flood. That's why I'm asking what happened to the 99% that are now extinct. The Bible doesn't address this point because the authors of the Bible had no knowledge of that because they were extinct long before the Bible was written.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:51 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
The fundamentalist argument against the scientific assertion of the great age of our planet—to the effect that God created the earth only about 6,000 years ago, including fossils embedded in rocks - is unworthy of serious discussion. If we begin with the assumption that God can do anything he pleases, then of course he could have made the world 6,000 years ago, or last Tuesday, and planted misleading evidence suggesting it was billions of years older....Steve Allen,

This argument is hardly worthy of serious discussion. First, the Bible does not put a date on the creation of the universe. Second, the Bible does not say, and no serious Christian teaches, that God created the earth with fossils embedded in the rocks to fool unbelieving scientists.

Blue Letter Bible - Help, Tutorials, and FAQs

Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Campbell34 wrote:

Actually most of the breeds of dogs are only a couple of hundred years old. Breeding them became popular in the 1800's but they're still part of the same species and that's what I'm referring in my OP. According to the Bible God created every living thing and they coexisted during the same time period and then Noah supposedly saved all of those land animals to repopulate the earth after the flood. That's why I'm asking what happened to the 99% that are now extinct. The Bible doesn't address this point because the authors of the Bible had no knowledge of that because they were extinct long before the Bible was written.
And if I'm correct, Noah lived to be 950 years old. So I believe there was plenty of time for breeding. Animals have been going exinct ever since the flood for a number of reasons. And considering how many have gone exinct in just the last one hundred years, there is no doubt that many more have gone exinct over the last 6,000 years. And if the writers of the Bible did not know of the others, why do other Biblical Books describe living dinosaurs?

Old 06-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The fundamentalist argument against the scientific assertion of the great age of our planet—to the effect that God created the earth only about 6,000 years ago, including fossils embedded in rocks - is unworthy of serious discussion. If we begin with the assumption that God can do anything he pleases, then of course he could have made the world 6,000 years ago, or last Tuesday, and planted misleading evidence suggesting it was billions of years older....Steve Allen,

This argument is hardly worthy of serious discussion. First, the Bible does not put a date on the creation of the universe. Second, the Bible does not say, and no serious Christian teaches, that God created the earth with fossils embedded in the rocks to fool unbelieving scientists.

Blue Letter Bible - Help, Tutorials, and FAQs
It also could be that science is useing unscientific asumptions and calling it sound science. And much of their dating is based on assumptions. You can't blame God for that.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It also could be that science is useing unscientific asumptions and calling it sound science. And much of their dating is based on assumptions. You can't blame God for that.
I think I would make more progress beating my head to a bloody pulp on a sharp rock than answering all your ridiculous fairy tales...Probably more fun too.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:04 PM

428 posts, read 1,631,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And if I'm correct, Noah lived to be 950 years old.
The early years were the good old days, weren't they? The earth was less than 6000 years old, and you could live to be 1/6 the age of the earth!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:17 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,497 times
Quote:
Over 99% of all of the species that have ever lived are now extinct. That poses some interesting questions for those who believe in creationism. If the earth was really only about six thousand years old and all of the species that God created existed together during one time period that would mean that all of these millions of species have gone extinct in just a few thousand years and the one percent who survived are all that's left. How in the world could you explain such a thing? Consider some of the animals that are now extinct such as certain meat eating dinosaurs or even the sabre toothed tiger. They would have been much more dangerous and likely to survive than animals like the grizzly bear which is not extinct. What events could have taken place in just a six thousand year time period that could have wiped out 99% of all species?
Well, I'm joining the party late, but nevertheless, here's my response.

As a YEC, I believe God created everything ~ 6,000 year ago. Your question needs a bit of disection to answer.. a how and a who.

First, I can agree that the Noachian Flood that covered the entire earth did probably wipe out many species. I believe most of the fossil record is the record of the devastation caused by the flood. So we have a mechanism, the flood, as the how.

Let's now look at the who. Noah was commanded to take two of each kind onto the ark. We have to look at what defines a biblical kind. I'm sure many of the animals Noah brought aboard the ark do not look the same today as they did then. For example the canine kind. Even evolutionists agree all canines came from a common ancestor, we just disagree with the timeframe mostly. So it's not like Noah had to bring poodles and labradors and coyotes and wolves, just a pair from the canine kind. Same goes for dinosaurs. Noah didn't have to bring a raptor and a T-Rex and a distinctive type of each sauropod... he simply needed to bring a representative pair (or several pairs) of the dinosaur kind, but not a pair of each and every solitary dino we have named.

The animals that did exit the ark multiply and diversify and I'm sure there are 'species' that arose from the animals that exited the ark that did eventually go extinct due to causes similar to why animals go extinct today. Those that didn't continued to multiply and diversify and adapt to their new surroundings.

What we call a species today isn't the same as a biblical kind. And many of the various different species found in the fossil record could be called the same animal, just with variation within the kind. Sort of like bats. There are various species of bats, but when you get down to it, they're all bats with variation within the bat kind.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Well I'm just thankful that most christians are more reasonable and do not believe as you two do. I think it a ridiculous view considering all mankind has learned over the centuries. You would have us all back in the dark ages the same as fundamentalist Muslim nations are.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:24 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well I'm just thankful that most christians are more reasonable and do not believe as you two do. I think it a ridiculous view considering all mankind has learned over the centuries. You would have us all back in the dark ages the same as fundamentalist Muslim nations are.
And I think evolution (molecules to man) is a ridiculous view. What's that have to do with answering the OP's question? Not a thing. He specifically asked how creationists answer this question. I provided an answer. Whether you think it's ridiculous or not is besides the point.

And being YEC has nothing to do with believing in or deterring empirical/operational science. You know the father of physics believed in God and creation; right? You must realize that origins science is not an empirical science, but a historical assumption for both YEC and ToE. They are both a framework or worldview for interpreting what we discover. They both use operational science to support their philosophies/theory but they, themselves, are not operational science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality