Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:04 PM

128 posts, read 409,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
According to the Bible, (God's word according to Christianity and Judism) God referred to man, his creation (according to the Bible) as stiffnecked, liar, deceitful murderous, backbiting, and a host of other dehumanizing descriptions. Now, in light of God's opinion and lack of trust toward man: Why would God require mankind (according to the Bible) to have faith and believe that the Bible is truly His Word, eventhough the same men whom he described as deceitful and liars wrote it? It seems rather strange, that God would base man's eternal existance upon believing and "having faith" in a Bible written by a group of lying, deceitful men that He himself (God) had a very low opinion of. Could God Be This Unjust?
Go read the Bible again. Those people God described with the words "stiffnecked, liar, deceitful murderous, backbiting, and a host of other dehumanizing descriptions," were people who were mixing false and true worship, sacrificing their children alive in the fire, killing each other, polluting his temple with idols, engaging in sexual idolatry, etc, etc. If a parent has the right to call his child a brat, than God does too. As for the writers of the Bible, these were righteous men in the eyes of God. They did not do these wicked things.

Last edited by AdrianR; 06-13-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 PM

9,913 posts, read 10,857,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Sorry, but I just do not believe that an All Powerful God needs lowly humans to interject words into his mouth or defend him.
Agreed!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 PM

128 posts, read 409,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Originally Posted by dorado0359
Sorry, but I just do not believe that an All Powerful God needs lowly humans to interject words into his mouth or defend him.

Agreed!
You are right, God doesnt need us, its a privelage He gave us. -Rev. 12:10, Prov. 27:11

Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 AM

83 posts, read 318,472 times
I would agree that all people are sinful and wicked people, including those whom God used to pen the Scriptures. However, these same Scriptures claim to be written by men who were moved by God and "inspired" by God to speak and write what is written. The Scriptures are able to lead men and women to salvation in Christ. I do not believe that people will see the Scriptures for what they truly are unless God opens their eyes to see. There is a sense in which we believe the Bible is the Word of God by faith, but it is not blind faith. It is not as if Christians try to make the Bible out to be something that it does not claim for itself. There is a storyline and unity to the Scriptures. They evidence themselves to be what they claim in the lives of those who trust Christ. Unbelievers will probably never accept the Scripture to be what they claim, because they are blind spiritually and have no desire to see. It must take a work of God in the hearts of unbelievers in order for them to see and believe.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 AM

I would also add that to read the Bible and then proceed to call God "unfair" or "unjust" or "merciless" is simply begging the question. Within the Christian worldview, God is not unjust or unfair for doing what He does. God's actions are perfectly consistent with His character. It is only if you are assuming and imposing a different view of God and justice on the Bible would it seem unfair or unjust, but that is begging the question: Is God really unjust for the way He acts in the universe? Well, only in a non-Christian worldview is God unjust. If you say that He is unjust, you are working with a different definition of justice and a different view of God than the Christian worldview, but you cannot use your definition of justice to critique the Christian view of God. If God does things within the Bible that are unjust within the Christian worldview, it is then we have an at least apparent problem. However, I would say that most of these problems can be resolved through careful study.

My question would simply be this: Why should I accept your standard of justice and your view of God? How do I know it is right or true? If it isn't the right view or true view, then there is no need in even discussing it or debating it, and there is no reason you for you even bring any kind of criticisms against the Christian view of God.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,269,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natewood3 View Post
If you look at the Christian faith as a whole, you would know that Christians believed that all that is written in the Bible is inspired by God, and therefore, it is inerrant and trustworthy.
is anyone write relegion thoughts from his point of view means that he is inspired from God

Old 06-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
is anyone write relegion thoughts from his point of view means that he is inspired from God
Obviously, you must test whether the claims are true or not. I see that the Christian worldview makes sense of reality, whereas other worldviews do not. My point is that people here are criticizing the Christian Scriptures according to their own definitions. All that proves is that they have a different opinion than Scripture. Having a different definition of justice or a different view of God does not in any way prove that you view is the right view.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,269,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natewood3 View Post
Obviously, you must test whether the claims are true or not. I see that the Christian worldview makes sense of reality, whereas other worldviews do not. My point is that people here are criticizing the Christian Scriptures according to their own definitions. All that proves is that they have a different opinion than Scripture. Having a different definition of justice or a different view of God does not in any way prove that you view is the right view.
i completely agree with you
but it wasn't my point
i think that we can't consider any relegious men as inspired from God , then calling thier writings words of God , it's unlogic
men whom inspired from God must to be the prophet himself not his followers
beside , i never read from the bible any verse refer to that this is the words of God , may be it's just historical books , interpretion books from the writer point of view , have the probability of right and wrong

Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 AM

elwill,

I am not quite sure what you agreed with in my post, because I think you are doing what I said others in this thread are doing. You it is it illogical to consider the writings of "religious men" as inspired by God or to call their writings the "words of God." Yet, you are obviously using a definition of "logical" that is not in line with the Bible, because it was never illogical to say that the prophets of God spoke to word of God to man, nor was it illogical to say, for instance, that the OT Scriptures were the Word of God. There is plenty of evidence that both the OT and NT believers viewed the prophets and the apostles as inspired by God, so that their words are God's Word to them. I can show you some verses if you do not think that is the case. Jesus Himself viewed the Bible he used, namely, the OT Scriptures, as God's Word, the authoritative revelation of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality