Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSmartGuy__ View Post
How about the fact that Jesus cursed the Jews and there children for all eternity and since then the Jews have been killed, rejected, and shunned.
That isn't a "fact".

Quote:
Then the bible says Jesus will return for good in 3 days, in the bible it says that 1 day to god is 1000 years to man its been about 2015 years since then just wait out for it.
What the Bible says has no relevance unless you can show that the Bible says is true.

Quote:
If you think about it there is a god and there always has been you cant explain anything without him....
We can explain anything without a god
Quote:
....because he made it that way humans are trying to get out of that realm of thinking.
It was when humans began to 'think' that they started to reject gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 PM

995 posts, read 957,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acecombat View Post
Hear is a good question. We all know the major issues surronding the creation of the earth and all that talk. I mean, here is the question. If god created the earth, who created god? Modern science has proven that 2 people can create a child and that bacteria can cause infections and disease. This stuff is proven fact, while god is all myth and superstition. The whole god thing is a persons idea. As modern pshycology states, people create things to help them cope with the troubles of everyday life. This whole god and chirstianity thing as gone waay to far. It has created a whole mess of stuff that has basically brainwashed into believing that there is one. It has also affected our function in everyday society and our morals as well. im sure your asking me about modern science. That does also bring up a good question. We have NO CLUE about how we came to be. i sometimes get the feeling that this whole world isnt real, reality and all. There is too much evil going on in the world. I wish someone could help us.

I've been meditating a lot about all the non-Abrahamic religions, and how much they have in common with one another. I think they tell us the story on what a true religion, born out of freedom of religion/Worship is like. You are right on the money when you say we create the Gods. It seems like throughout the ages, over many different free societies, when we pray for something, we pray for the spirit OF that something. Over the years we have created the spirit, and prayed for God to absorb the deity. I always lived the philosophy that God sent Jesus for us to all absorb. Or at least, I have always believed in the philosophy that God and man communicate with one another through the use of deities.

Right now as we speak there is an African Native in the jungle, carving out a wooden statue in the shape of what he wants his ancient ancestral spirits to take the form of. I believe this is the kind of shared philosophies the rest of the world for ages and ages have all in common. Free religions such as these happen naturally.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,371,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acecombat View Post
Hear is a good question. We all know the major issues surronding the creation of the earth and all that talk. I mean, here is the question. If god created the earth, who created god? Modern science has proven that 2 people can create a child and that bacteria can cause infections and disease. This stuff is proven fact, while god is all myth and superstition. The whole god thing is a persons idea. As modern pshycology states, people create things to help them cope with the troubles of everyday life. This whole god and chirstianity thing as gone waay to far. It has created a whole mess of stuff that has basically brainwashed into believing that there is one. It has also affected our function in everyday society and our morals as well. im sure your asking me about modern science. That does also bring up a good question. We have NO CLUE about how we came to be. i sometimes get the feeling that this whole world isnt real, reality and all. There is too much evil going on in the world. I wish someone could help us.
...Sigh.

Look, both science and religion are mental constructs.

Many early myths were a means of conveying complicated information that everybody could understand it. How does one convey the message of solar energy to people who can't read hieroglyphics? Make a giant tomb with a large reflective capstone that casts a massive glare shadow when the sun rises/sets. Astrology (now called astronomy)? Guess what most of the Coyote legends are? Same deal with the Yin Yang, and the Four Gods of Chinese religion.

Where does the Chinese Yin Yang symbol come from?

Religion is an efficient way of putting information that the average person can figure out. These other things are the information, but in long form. You could write something in massive lines of math in order to determine the density of a black hole. And it would just be you and other brain trusts that knew this information. Or you could have the following information, and write short story with like "And I found out the answer is ten." (probably not ten, but you get the idea)

Someone who cannot spell psychology or Christianity, should not be making half-baked assumptions.

What created the Big Bang then? Particles tend to form chemical bonds. What would suddenly cause them to split out into matter we know of today? And before that, matter was a singularity. A singularity. Exactly. Monotheism is shorthand for that matter came from a single source.

God exists because the universe exists. What created God is a moot question, because it misses the fundamental question. "What is God? Must this be a bearded old man? Must this be even human?"

If God Created Everything, Who Created God?

Also, this. Apparently, existing outside of causality (duh, around before time?) makes the question of what was before God moot.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,895,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
This is the world's double-standard when it comes to Christianity. They scream about political correctness and demand tolerance as long as THEY are the ones RECEIVING it. They still want "their rights" to "free speech" and bash Christianity. Sorry. You can't have it both ways.
I want to point something out:

Christians, as a whole, have constantly fought to have their religion occupy the 'top spot' in the public square.

From claiming that the US is a 'Christian nation' (which is factually and historically incorrect), to a federal court judge that snuck a seven-ton granite monument of the Ten Commandments into the lobby of his courthouse, Christianity has pushed itself into every corner of daily life, while demanding that they be the only faith allowed to 'fly its colors'.

And yet, when someone quietly points out that they are not, in fact, the 'Big Dog', the first thing they do is scream about 'persecution' and accuse others of 'denying them their First Amendment rights'.

That is the double-standard of which you should complain: that the Religious Right demands tolerance and respect, but doesn't give it in return.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Well, God is who we desire. Why aren't you saying, "Well, Christians want to believe in God, and, if that's what they desire, who am I to say it's wrong?"
Christians can believe in what the hell they want as long as they don't try to get legislation passed based on what they believe. As for homosexuals...as soon as they start saying that I should also become homosexual and threaten me with eternal torture if I don't become a homosexual, then I'll be complaining about them too.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:30 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That isn't a "fact".

What the Bible says has no relevance unless you can show that the Bible says is true.

We can explain anything without a god
It was when humans began to 'think' that they started to reject gods.
Nicely taken sir.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
...Sigh.... (sorry couldn't resist it.)

Religion is an efficient way of putting information that the average person can figure out. These other things are the information, but in long form. ....
If this were Theist translated to English it would read: "Religion is giving quick and easy answers to difficult questions. Science takes the long way round. (but it gets the correct answers)'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality