Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,981 times

Advertisements

The "Story" of Adam and Eve, The "Story" of the Flood, The "Story" of David and Goiath, etc. For quite some time I have wondered why books in the Bible are referred to as "stories", especially since they are suppose to be true accounts of Gods creation and human history. Everyone from the layman to the Priest and Bishops refer to them as "stories". Also, if I recall correctly, I believe there was a movie made years ago called The Greatest "story" Ever Told. Seems a bit confusing if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM

756 posts, read 2,575,421 times
Not everyone believes the BIBLE to be true....
Some, if not most DO believe they are 'just stories'...

some people cant understand how it can be true so they say its not.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times
plus many people realize that the message contained in the stories is just as valid regardless of whether the story is true or not. Pinocchio may never have existed but the tale still teaches us to follow our conscience.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
The "Story" of Adam and Eve, The "Story" of the Flood, The "Story" of David and Goiath, etc. For quite some time I have wondered why books in the Bible are referred to as "stories", especially since they are suppose to be true accounts of Gods creation and human history. Everyone from the layman to the Priest and Bishops refer to them as "stories". Also, if I recall correctly, I believe there was a movie made years ago called The Greatest "story" Ever Told. Seems a bit confusing if you ask me.
Just because they are referred to as stories does not mean they are not true. I believe that they are true. I could tell you the story of my childhood, and it's true

Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,194,300 times
story: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com

As you can see, the definition of story is simply an account of something regardless of whether it is true or not.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
I believe the Bible would make more sense to people if we were allowed to read the complete version. Many don't know that something like 10 or 12 gospels were left out of the Bible we read today. The Catholic Church selected what gospels we should see and what we should not. Why can we not read those hidden books of the Bible. Could it be there are things written there that would totally change the teachings of Christianity? I don't know, but I believe one of the books left out was supposed to be the actual gospel of Jesus Christ! Now if there is one book that should be included in the Bible, I would think it was that one! That said, I am not exactly a Christian, though I was raised in a Southern Baptist home and went to church for many years. I do believe Jesus was a holy man, who came with a message of peace and love for all mankind. I find that the churches I have been to don't really seem to hold to that mantra. There is an awful lot of hypocrisy and hate, and that is certainly not what Christ had in mind. As to why the books are referred to as stories. Probably the same reason we call news reports "news stories" It is just a figure of speech. I also believe the Bible itself has been severely tampered with over the years, especially when it comes to women. I just don't buy the whole "its Eve's fault we don't live in the garden" crap. Sounds like at some point in history some man wanted to put women on a lower level than men. Oh, and I am a married man, not a female.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,552,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
story: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com

As you can see, the definition of story is simply an account of something regardless of whether it is true or not.

Thank you for posting this link. I have been thinking: " What is wrong with calling them 'stories' " ? An old saying is, " That is the story of my life". It is not referring to fiction.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
I watched a movie last night that was based on a true story.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,194,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I believe the Bible would make more sense to people if we were allowed to read the complete version. Many don't know that something like 10 or 12 gospels were left out of the Bible we read today. The Catholic Church selected what gospels we should see and what we should not.
Actually, it was the bishop of the Eastern church, Athanasius of Alexandria who first composed the list of books that make up the New Testament canon we have today. That list gained popularity before being settled at the ecumenical Third Council of Carthage in 397 A.D. This was well before the Roman Catholic Church of today as it was before the Great Schism dividing Eastern and Western Christianity. Those who put the canon together were primarily concerned with apostolic authorship--if a book wasn't written by an apostle or one closely associated with an apostle, then it wasn't considered.

Quote:
I do believe Jesus was a holy man, who came with a message of peace and love for all mankind. I find that the churches I have been to don't really seem to hold to that mantra. There is an awful lot of hypocrisy and hate, and that is certainly not what Christ had in mind.
I don't think there is a person alive who isn't a hypocrite or at least was one at one point in time.

Quote:
I also believe the Bible itself has been severely tampered with over the years, especially when it comes to women. I just don't buy the whole "its Eve's fault we don't live in the garden" crap. Sounds like at some point in history some man wanted to put women on a lower level than men. Oh, and I am a married man, not a female.
Well, the Bible doesn't actually place the blame on Eve, it places most of the blame on the Serpent while holding both Adam and Eve accountable. In fact, there are parts of the Bible that highlight Adam as the main cause of sin while ignoring what Eve did. In theology, our sinful nature is traced back to Adam, not Eve, as Adam was meant to be the representative of humanity...Jesus is now our representative, thus, he is the "second Adam." The Bible does not seem to hold women as inferior to men, simply holding that women have not been designed for the role of familial leadership.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
The Catholic Church existed before modern christianity. And actually the commonly excepted version of the bible used today was assembled by King James. He rewrote a few things in order to make it ok for him to get a divorce. And contrary to what you may have read, no one man put together the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality