Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,620,213 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt anyone would want to embrace the Amish life-style if they lived it for a few weeks.

I just returned from Central PA aka Amish country, where my family has owned property since 1927. For years we've been doing business with the Amish, but would I consider living that lifestyle? No way.

No electricity in the house, only in the barn. Cars are allowed, black only. Only the men wear shoes. You take one bath a week. You work in the fields in black clothes. They abuse the crap out of their horses, only seen as beasts of burden.

But if you have a strong back and can swing a hammer, they might take you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:17 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,592,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Does ANYONE know of a way I can convert to either the Amish or Mennonite faith?

It seems to me that their mindset is close to my own. Not big on technology, or having "things". Self-sufficient. Deep belief in God. Both men and women RESPECT their bodies (no tattoos...or nipple rings...no miniskirts...). Just so many things about their way of life appeal to me--that I think it's a shame I wasn't BORN into one of those religions.
I havent read this whole thread but I certainly appreciate the sentiment involved. I feel very strongly about belonging to a faith that respects God in these ways as well. I'm happy that I stuck with the organization I was born into.

Last edited by alicenevada; 06-10-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM

56 posts, read 103,243 times
I find it weird that some one is looking for a religion with no nipple rings , thats the first thing I look for

Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM

599 posts, read 1,263,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
I seriously doubt anyone would want to embrace the Amish life-style if they lived it for a few weeks.

I just returned from Central PA aka Amish country, where my family has owned property since 1927. For years we've been doing business with the Amish, but would I consider living that lifestyle? No way.

No electricity in the house, only in the barn. Cars are allowed, black only. Only the men wear shoes. You take one bath a week. You work in the fields in black clothes. They abuse the crap out of their horses, only seen as beasts of burden.

The Amish don't own cars. They will, however, take a ride from a friend that owns a car if they have to travel a long distance for whatever reason. Only the men wear shoes? I've been traveling to the Lancaster, PA area for many, many years and I see Amish women wearing shoes all the time.

As far as abusing their animals (horses, ect)....if they didn't take good care of them, they wouldn't last for very long, so I can't imagine they would abuse them. One thing I do have a problem with though, as far as the Amish and animals, is the fact that there are more puppy mills per capita in Lancaster Co. than in any other part of the country. They don't see dogs as companion animals that need to be respected and cared for but rather as a commodity...something they can raise and sell to make money. It's really very sad but it's a part of their culture and they just don't see anything wrong with it. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now, lol.....

Old 06-10-2008, 03:54 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,786,598 times
Quote:

I have a strong back, and arms. I believe that "work" is only physical. Mental exercise is not "work". Why do we "need" electricity? I don't have a lot of things that require it. I like music, but I'm just as happy with church hymns...in fact, I find those preferable to some of the stuff they call "music" today.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,358,406 times
The Amish and the Plain People of Lancaster County, PA

Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,647,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Does ANYONE know of a way I can convert to either the Amish or Mennonite faith?

It seems to me that their mindset is close to my own. Not big on technology, or having "things". Self-sufficient. Deep belief in God. Both men and women RESPECT their bodies (no tattoos...or nipple rings...no miniskirts...). Just so many things about their way of life appeal to me--that I think it's a shame I wasn't BORN into one of those religions.
Interesting question to post on the internet. Oh the irony

Sorry, can't help but you might contact an Amish community. I'm sure they'd be willing to talk to you.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,620,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post

The Amish don't own cars.
You are probably right about that, I believe I confused that fact with Mennonites.

Only the men wear shoes? I've been traveling to the Lancaster, PA area for many, many years and I see Amish women wearing shoes all the time.

It could be a regional thing, for the last 40 plus years I've been to the Belleville area NONE of the women wore shoes.

As far as abusing their animals (horses, ect)....if they didn't take good care of them, they wouldn't last for very long, so I can't imagine they would abuse them.

I used to think the same until my niece from Florida who has owned horses for 20 plus years commented on the poor condition of ALL the horses she saw.
The one thing I like about the area is the lack of cell phone towers and very little wifi. Maybe the Amish have it right after all.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM

599 posts, read 1,263,528 times
Quote:
The one thing I like about the area is the lack of cell phone towers and very little wifi. Maybe the Amish have it right after all.
And the lack of electric lines and poles . I also love to look at their beautifully landscaped and manicured lawns. They definately seem to take pride in their houses and yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality