Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 10:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
That was the perception of all those other religions that existed and even some that exist now. On what basis, outside of the bible, do you make your assertion?
Why would I reject the Bible? It's what he's said about himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 10:39 AM

51,006 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Got any proof of that? Ska-ROO so-called "evidence". I want PROOF, gosh darnit!
Don't expect others to give you what you cannot give yourself.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:41 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Hey, Transponder, you just coined a great curse word for those afraid to say "godd-mnit". When you hit your thumb with a hammer, scream as loud as you can, "Goddunit!" and you will be killing two birds with one stone: relieving your anger AND expressing belief in God to those surprised Christians around you.
Expressing belief in a god would surprise me, too. Almost as much as hitting my thumb with a hammer. I can Never find where I put the hammer.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Generally speaking, if you wish me to take you seriously and have a reasonable conversation with me, please be polite. Referring to "biblegod" is offensive. You know it, because that's why you chose to use that term.

He's God. With a capital G, and the Bible is with a capital B. If you would like to say "The God of the Bible", that's a reasonable statement.

Having said that, if you don't believe in him, there really isn't much I can do to make you believe. I can talk about how the Bible is his Word, cite archaelogical studies to prove it, talk about textual criticism, etc...but I can't actually make you believe. So we're at an impasse.

I believe in God because he's God and I don't believe in any other god because he has said he's the only true God.
None of us is required to accept your personal naming preferences.

The term biblegod is, in my view, a perfect descriptor of what you believe in. It is not what everyone else believes or accepts. You'll have to get over it.

Many of us don't believe in the bible. Again, you'll have to get over it.

And you're right, as has already been proven, you are having no success in making those of us who are atheist or anything else believe what you believe.

Even a false god would say he was the true god.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:

Old 04-08-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
You see, Mighty Queen, you've proven the point of many in here including myself. You arrived at your personal definition of what kind of a God is out there based on your own personal experiences and observations. Baptist arrived at his. Trout arrived at his. Mystic arrived at his. I arrived at mine. This demonstrably proves that there is no one single "TRUE" entity out there directing the show as the Christians believe. If there were, then we would all be believing in the same entity or rejecting it according to our free wills.

But whatever "higher power" is out there, it allows us to arrive at our own definition and belief in something higher than ourselves. Those atheists who have tried to believe in a god and cannot, that's perfectly fine with this higher power. No flaming hell awaits anyone after death, only a rest from the trials and tribulations of this life--a life that I am coming to believe is just a first painful step in an eons-long journey to perfection.
In a sense I support what you are saying. But still, all these varying versions of "a high power out there" cannot be accurate.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,615,651 times
Quote:

wish C-D had a ROTFLMAO emoji

guess this will do

Old 04-08-2020, 11:12 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's good so far as it goes. It is 'far enough' from my point of view, but if it's ok for you, its ok for me, because it seems to avoid the problems that go with organised religion and without which we probably wouldn't even need New atheism.
As I've said about 632 times, I am OK with organized religion to a point because it fulfills a social and community need, as long as it doesn't interfere with the social and community needs of anyone else and stays out of government. But right now, I am completely detached from my church, despite the daily Holy Week vids that are being sent around. I don't know if it has to do with the death of my mother, or the daily reports of death and sickness all around me, but right now the idea of even my own church community has no impact on me whatsoever, negative or positive. I just don't care.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
You see, Mighty Queen, you've proven the point of many in here including myself. You arrived at your personal definition of what kind of a God is out there based on your own personal experiences and observations. Baptist arrived at his. Trout arrived at his. Mystic arrived at his. I arrived at mine. This demonstrably proves that there is no one single "TRUE" entity out there directing the show as the Christians believe. If there were, then we would all be believing in the same entity or rejecting it according to our free wills.

But whatever "higher power" is out there, it allows us to arrive at our own definition and belief in something higher than ourselves. Those atheists who have tried to believe in a god and cannot, that's perfectly fine with this higher power. No flaming hell awaits anyone after death, only a rest from the trials and tribulations of this life--a life that I am coming to believe is just a first painful step in an eons-long journey to perfection.
Exactly. I've said it before, I'll say it again. IMO, the most accurate statement I have ever heard is the Quaker perception, "I cannot tell you how to experience God. I can only know how I experience God."

Agree 100% with what you say about atheists. If God is what I think God is, then God has no issue with atheists not being able to believe God exists. I sure as heck don't care. Why would God?

But I disagree with the last part of your last sentence. This might not be just the first painful step. It might be the fifth or the sixtieth. Ouch.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:42 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
None of us is required to accept your personal naming preferences.

The term biblegod is, in my view, a perfect descriptor of what you believe in. It is not what everyone else believes or accepts. You'll have to get over it.

Many of us don't believe in the bible. Again, you'll have to get over it.

And you're right, as has already been proven, you are having no success in making those of us who are atheist or anything else believe what you believe.

Even a false god would say he was the true god.
Ok. Guess we're done here. I'm sorry we can't have a nice discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality