Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 10:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times

Advertisements

exactly.

why do we need to deny every attempt to align a god belief to the system around us to form a more rational belief?

why does our feeling about religion have to play a role in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 10:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What makes you jump to the conclusion that some of us already haven't done so?

After failed attempts to be an atheist, I started to differentiate in my mind the frightening, angry Biblical character I was raised to believe in from the something wider and deeper I began to sense by referring to it in my brain as "Real God". I don't need to do that anymore, but it helped me break out of the constant anxiety and soul-crushing despair that belief in the God Of The Literal Bible had cast upon me from my childhood.
That's good so far as it goes. It is 'far enough' from my point of view, but if it's ok for you, its ok for me, because it seems to avoid the problems that go with organised religion and without which we probably wouldn't even need New atheism.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's good so far as it goes. It is 'far enough' from my point of view, but if it's ok for you, its ok for me, because it seems to avoid the problems that go with organised religion and without which we probably wouldn't even need New atheism.
you are focused solely on religion when you talk about god. You cannot evaluate any claim reliably so long as you are locked into what happened to you at the hands of religion.

even you trying to "understand the implications" of what mighty said isn't free of you personal emotional attachment to religion.

religion is actually an anchor for you.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Got any proof of that? Ska-ROO so-called "evidence". I want PROOF, gosh darnit!
The burden of proof is on the claimant. Both that is a god at all and secondly, Which god is the Real one.

Let me look ahead a couple of moves

No, not being persuaded of the god -claim is not a claim. The one claiming there is a god has the burden of proof.

Yes i know that Faith in a god makes believers think that it is the logical obligation of atheism to disprove the god.

Logically, it isn't; it is for the Believer to validate their belief that a god exists.

Next move; sure, you may dismiss logic as mere human opinion, but then that admits that you have no logical basis for Faith. Which we knew anyway

Or,

No, 'Who made everything then?' does not validate a god. It is an Unknown and 'goddunnit' is not the valid answer; 'nobody knows' is the valid one.

And even if you could show some Intent behind Everything that came to be, we still must ask 'Which god?'

Your move.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What makes you jump to the conclusion that some of us already haven't done so?

After failed attempts to be an atheist, I started to differentiate in my mind the frightening, angry Biblical character I was raised to believe in from the something wider and deeper I began to sense by referring to it in my brain as "Real God". I don't need to do that anymore, but it helped me break out of the constant anxiety and soul-crushing despair that belief in the God Of The Literal Bible had cast upon me from my childhood.

You see, Mighty Queen, you've proven the point of many in here including myself. You arrived at your personal definition of what kind of a God is out there based on your own personal experiences and observations. Baptist arrived at his. Trout arrived at his. Mystic arrived at his. I arrived at mine. This demonstrably proves that there is no one single "TRUE" entity out there directing the show as the Christians believe. If there were, then we would all be believing in the same entity or rejecting it according to our free wills.

But whatever "higher power" is out there, it allows us to arrive at our own definition and belief in something higher than ourselves. Those atheists who have tried to believe in a god and cannot, that's perfectly fine with this higher power. No flaming hell awaits anyone after death, only a rest from the trials and tribulations of this life--a life that I am coming to believe is just a first painful step in an eons-long journey to perfection.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The burden of proof is on the claimant. Both that is a god at all and secondly, Which god is the Real one.

Let me look ahead a couple of moves

No, not being persuaded of the god -claim is not a claim. The one claiming there is a god has the burden of proof.

nipped ...

Your move.
denying every single thing is not science either trans. Hiding behind "organized religion makes me do it" isn't even close to science based beliefs on anti-god.

If you were really about using science then you wouldn't have run away from me.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You see, Mighty Queen, you've proven the point of many in here including myself. You arrived at your personal definition of what kind of a God is out there based on your own personal experiences and observations. Baptist arrived at his. Trout arrived at his. Mystic arrived at his. I arrived at mine. This demonstrably proves that there is no one single "TRUE" entity out there directing the show as the Christians believe. If there were, then we would all be believing in the same entity or rejecting it according to our free wills.

But whatever "higher power" is out there, it allows us to arrive at our own definition and belief in something higher than ourselves. Those atheists who have tried to believe in a god and cannot, that's perfectly fine with this higher power. No flaming hell awaits anyone after death, only a rest from the trials and tribulations of this life--a life that I am coming to believe is just a first painful step in an eons-long journey to perfection.
something more, not more deities is, by far, more reliable than biblegod and anti-god. certainly any god claim isn't, or at least shouldn't be, based on how some stupid religious people behave.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because God is God. The others are false.
That was the perception of all those other religions that existed and even some that exist now. On what basis, outside of the bible, do you make your assertion?

Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
'goddunnit' is not the valid answer;

Hey, Transponder, you just coined a great curse word for those afraid to say "godd-mnit". When you hit your thumb with a hammer, scream as loud as you can, "Goddunit!" and you will be killing two birds with one stone: relieving your anger AND expressing belief in God to those surprised Christians around you.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Got any proof of that? Ska-ROO so-called "evidence". I want PROOF, gosh darnit!
yeah, look around ... Thebiblegod ... its not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality