Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2023, 10:34 AM

427 posts, read 132,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In another thread about the same topic, a comment was posted that went something like this...

"Which is why we need to use rational tools designed to avoid these prejudices and moods and emotionally skewed opinions, so that we do not have false beliefs. Yet you want us to just accept your opinions and assertions that rely on just knowing."

Seems to me this comment is at least in large part a sentiment similar to what had me start this thread.

I also thought to redirect further comment about this sort of thing back to this thread, because I've never really well understood why this thread was hijacked and taken elsewhere. Why would someone do that rather than just comment in the thread their comment(s) are all about? Who does that sort of thing and why?

Does my tenth truth provide at least part of the answer?

I think Irkle wanted a new platform to strut his stuff dealing with your Ten Truths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 11:53 AM

29,689 posts, read 9,884,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
I think Irkle wanted a new platform to strut his stuff dealing with your Ten Truths.
Not a bad theory. Had to be something like that...

No doubt ego is all too often part of explaining this sort of thing. Too bad, but in this forum, it's prudent to keep our expectations in check while at the same time, I don't know of any good reason to leave these threads to people who seem only driven by ego, emotion and the want to promote their agenda. Leaving the chances for a fair, mature, civil exchange of opinion slim-to-none.

But about that too, again, my tenth truth not all that far off. Wouldn't you say?

Old 01-21-2023, 11:59 AM

16,315 posts, read 7,240,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnme View Post
i don't know of any good reason to leave these threads to people who seem only driven by ego, emotion and the want to promote their agenda. leaving the chances for a fair, mature, civil exchange of opinion slim-to-none.
:d :d

Old 01-21-2023, 01:23 PM

427 posts, read 132,006 times
Quote:
Not a bad theory. Had to be something like that...

No doubt ego is all too often part of explaining this sort of thing. Too bad, but in this forum, it's prudent to keep our expectations in check while at the same time, I don't know of any good reason to leave these threads to people who seem only driven by ego, emotion and the want to promote their agenda. Leaving the chances for a fair, mature, civil exchange of opinion slim-to-none.

But about that too, again, my tenth truth not all that far off. Wouldn't you say?

Well, let's check it out.

TEN: People of faith will deny if not condemn these truths for many reasons; from fear of god to fear of no god. Fear of death to fear of Hell. Typically beginning with the significant influence of inculcation at a young impressionable age, the subsequent effects of confirmation bias over time, development of ego and bigotry all prevent objective reason and logic to prevail for Man as quickly as it should. Instead the condemnation persists even to this day much like when Galileo was even imprisoned for attempting to overcome these same obstacles centuries ago. Much like the Jesuits denounced Elvis Presley. Much like Harry Potter books are banned in Catholic schools today. The ignorance and intolerance persists. Much like the ongoing effort to overcome the ills of racism, sexism, xenophobia and homophobia that also still persist today, the effort to overcome these backward ways very slowly and painfully is the progress of Man that each generation represents better than the last.(LearnMe)

You sum up the human condition pretty well. We all have our likes and dislikes. Why do you view this jumble of cultural differences as backward? Also, should everyone march in lockstep to the progressive beat? If Catholic schools want to ban Harry Potter books, why can't they? The word "ban" is inflammatory and used by the media to incite discord. How did those books find their way into Catholic school libraries if they contained material considered at variance with Catholic theology? It's not a big deal if supervision had been lax and the school wanted to screen out literature that seeped in under the radar.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:47 AM

29,689 posts, read 9,884,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Well, let's check it out.

TEN: People of faith will deny if not condemn these truths for many reasons; from fear of god to fear of no god. Fear of death to fear of Hell. Typically beginning with the significant influence of inculcation at a young impressionable age, the subsequent effects of confirmation bias over time, development of ego and bigotry all prevent objective reason and logic to prevail for Man as quickly as it should. Instead the condemnation persists even to this day much like when Galileo was even imprisoned for attempting to overcome these same obstacles centuries ago. Much like the Jesuits denounced Elvis Presley. Much like Harry Potter books are banned in Catholic schools today. The ignorance and intolerance persists. Much like the ongoing effort to overcome the ills of racism, sexism, xenophobia and homophobia that also still persist today, the effort to overcome these backward ways very slowly and painfully is the progress of Man that each generation represents better than the last.(LearnMe)

You sum up the human condition pretty well. We all have our likes and dislikes. Why do you view this jumble of cultural differences as backward? Also, should everyone march in lockstep to the progressive beat? If Catholic schools want to ban Harry Potter books, why can't they? The word "ban" is inflammatory and used by the media to incite discord. How did those books find their way into Catholic school libraries if they contained material considered at variance with Catholic theology? It's not a big deal if supervision had been lax and the school wanted to screen out literature that seeped in under the radar.
Well...

First off, no one is saying Catholic schools can't ban Harry Potter books. That's certainly not what my tenth truth says either. People can do all manner of what I touch upon in this truth. Simply because they can. I am also not suggesting anyone not enjoy the freedoms afforded to us to promote or protest whatever we think is right or wrong. Better or worse. Accordingly, I don't believe you understand my tenth truth too well. Do you? It isn't about what we can or can't do in any case.

What is it about?

Give it another shot if you are still interested and/or inclined...

Old 01-22-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Well...

First off, no one is saying Catholic schools can't ban Harry Potter books. That's certainly not what my tenth truth says either. People can do all manner of what I touch upon in this truth. Simply because they can. I am also not suggesting anyone not enjoy the freedoms afforded to us to promote or protest whatever we think is right or wrong. Better or worse. Accordingly, I don't believe you understand my tenth truth too well. Do you? It isn't about what we can or can't do in any case.

What is it about?

Give it another shot if you are still interested and/or inclined...
Why dont you just tell us in one sentence what it is about? It cant be that hard.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:54 AM

22,875 posts, read 19,504,217 times
people are posting more in the other thread because it is a robust discussion of the ways in which the views presented in the list of ten opinions are problematic.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-22-2023 at 08:51 AM..

Old 01-22-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Why dont you just tell us in one sentence what it is about? It cant be that hard.
i concur.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i concur.
I think it is a way to throw an incoherently formed idea out there and see if it sticks. Let the collective wisdom sort it out instead of taking responsibility for one’s statement and be accountable for it. When pitching a novel one is advised to say what it is about in one sentence. If you cannot do it the novel does not work. Same for any kind of statement.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people are posting more in the other thread because it is a robust discussion of the ways in which the views presented in the list of ten opinions are problematic.

also the other thread opens the discussion to additional ideas, as reflected in the thread title "science as religion". i'd say consider it a compliment that this first thread has stimulated such active, robust, engaging discussion in exploring the many topics which sprang from it. that is a positive thing, and the OP of this thread can take credit for being catalyst for the many conversations still active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality