Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 10:25 PM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Intimacy happens. But physical intimacy is no longer a reality because duh, we don't have bodies. It's a spiritual intimacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
At death the hypothetical man was married to the last in a succession of wives and previously married to all the others. If this is any sort of "answer" to the question then it implies that all those marriages including the current one are null and void in heaven. Otherwise what is the solution to the contrived problem of whose husband he would be in heaven? Clearly -- he's no one's husband. Thus "not married or given in marriage" must apply to pre-existing marriages as well. Otherwise it's rendered a non-sequitur -- no one was asking if he could marry anew in heaven.
Well, since polygamy was legal in G-d’s eyes...

Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I don't follow.
You don’t know the story of Isaac and Rebecca?...

Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 AM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, since polygamy was legal in G-d’s eyes...
The questioners in this gospel story appear not to have assumed polygamy. Otherwise what would be the point of their question, "whose husband will she be in the resurrection?" Polygamy would remove the conundrum and render the question pointless.

Polygamy was not the norm in Greek and Roman societies of the time (though illegal bigamy and adultery were common enough and tolerated). It was somewhat the norm in Jewish society of the time, but only for the aristocracy (which makes perfect sense, as it's expensive to support more than one wife, making it a means of displaying financial power). Even then it was not common among Rabbis and was rejected by the influential Hillel school. It would ultimately be outlawed in the 11th century.

Jesus taught against "adultery" which is impossible in a polygamous social setting.

So I think polygamy is not a useful context to explain Jesus' answer in this hypothetical.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:45 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,748,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I know, right?

That's actually one of the things I really despise about religion -- it is utterly devoid of any kind of humor, fun, or light-heartedness.

It's always so serious and somber and, quite frankly, joyless.

About 1.5 years ago I issued a challenge to all Christians to find me just one verse in the Bible that was meant to be laughed at as humor.

Just one.
Actually I thought your post was funny. Completely wrong, but funny. haha We are not all that stuffy. There are even Christian stand up comedians. Just give this one a shot. I can't imagine even the most hardened atheist not cracking a smile at this bit. Anthony is just such a natural talent on the mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvBFpxdW7Y

Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
We are not all that stuffy. There are even Christian stand up comedians. Just give this one a shot. I can't imagine even the most hardened atheist not cracking a smile at this bit. Anthony is just such a natural talent on the mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvBFpxdW7Y
I will admit to a knowing smile, though not guffaws. Pretty neutered material. They say the best comedy comes from pain, has an edge, and offends someone, and maybe everyone part of the time. I don't know if that's necessarily 100% true, but I hope this isn't representative of all the guy's material or he's not really doing his job as a comedian.

Then again Louis CK could be drop-dead funny but always made me uncomfortable when he'd address relationships, and now I guess I know why.

It's a tricky balance in the middle, there. Keeping it real and human ... generally a good thing. Comedy as therapy or even justification for your peccadilloes, not so much.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,748,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I will admit to a knowing smile, though not guffaws. Pretty neutered material. They say the best comedy comes from pain, has an edge, and offends someone, and maybe everyone part of the time. I don't know if that's necessarily 100% true, but I hope this isn't representative of all the guy's material or he's not really doing his job as a comedian.

Then again Louis CK could be drop-dead funny but always made me uncomfortable when he'd address relationships, and now I guess I know why.

It's a tricky balance in the middle, there. Keeping it real and human ... generally a good thing. Comedy as therapy or even justification for your peccadilloes, not so much.
Sounds like you can't appreciate clean comedy. It has to be filth like Louie CK. That's sad. I always admired Jerry Seinfeld who believed that foul language was a crutch not needed in comedy. As for pain, Anthony lost a young daughter and has MS. I find his comedy to be quite natural and funny.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Intimacy happens. But physical intimacy is no longer a reality because duh, we don't have bodies.
Well, duh... How on earth do you know that? Ever been dead and resurrected before? Jesus Christ had a body after He was resurrected. I realize that you're not a Christian, but if you were, you'd probably believe in a physical resurrection, which is what the Bible describes.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 PM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Sounds like you can't appreciate clean comedy. It has to be filth like Louie CK. That's sad. I always admired Jerry Seinfeld who believed that foul language was a crutch not needed in comedy. As for pain, Anthony lost a young daughter and has MS. I find his comedy to be quite natural and funny.
I find it sad how much Christians seemed to enjoy pain and suffering.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I appreciate "clean" comedy enough that I think profanity and crudity has been over-played. But not so much that I see no place for it. Real humans cuss and are crude sometimes. Comedians tell stories. I do not think they have to shrink from or be sanitized from real life to tell those stories.

But I understand where you are coming from. And we could use more family-friendly comedy. It has its place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality