Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 PM

10,796 posts, read 3,630,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Thankfully your opinion is of little consequence in this issue.
But his arguments will and have been put forward to the courts. So far, they have now agreed with fishbrains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:07 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,901,315 times
Quote:
Thankfully your opinion is of little consequence in this issue.
Oh, please. Your opinions aren't of consequence in the matter either, so you can spare us the self-righteous lectures.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,278,462 times
Quote:
Perhaps I assumed that since you linked to an article quoting Dan Barker that you actually believed as he does. He's a bitter ex religious person who has made it his life mission to kill Christianity.

And no--it's not an injustice anymore than giving a tax cut to any group of people is an injustice.

Doesn't really matter. It's a non-sequitur.
My husband is a clergyman, and agrees wholeheartedly with the ruling; people employed by a religious institution should not be entitled to anything more or less than employees of any other nonprofit institution.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,278,462 times
Quote:
It's fairly typical of clergy in the US. They opt out of SS, and don't get a guaranteed income later. The housing allowance allows one to put money into a house and have assets later. Not to mention, cover business expenses, the way anyone else would do so.

Keep in mind, the housing allowance really just gives on a tax deduction off of the self-employment portion of the taxes. He is considered a private contractor, and pays self-employment fees. Just like any small business owner does. If you want to open a business and work out of your home, go for it. You can probably even get a deduction.
And therein lays a problem. If you read the tax code, the exemption is clearly for those who have a religious or conscientious objection to public insurance programs like Social Security. It is a misuse of the exemption to use it as a means to offset the choice to be in an economically vulnerable position.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 10-15-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 07:06 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,680,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Clergy House Allowance Unconstitutional, Federal Court Rules

I'm sure this will get appealed all the way to the SCOTUS. Somehow it seems right though, especially when one thinks that there are many low income workers who do not get that benefit. From the decision:

"A desire to alleviate financial hardship on taxpayers is a legitimate purpose, but it is not a secular purpose when Congress eliminates the burden for a group made up of solely religious employees but maintains it for nearly everyone else."

What possible argument could one make to maintain the exemption?
I think we need to look at how much money they make and compare that to how much money they give away. The leaders can't make millions of dollars. There is a reasonable number where we should tax them. I actually think the average salary of a police offer in their state is a good number. 50-100 grand. That's more than I make.

Also, when we look at taxes that one group of people steals from another group of people to pay for that first group's lifestyle that cannot be self sustaining, we should subtract the the donations from religion from total taxes needed to sustain that delusional way of life.

if secular is going to cry "foul", we have to make sure secular is playing "fair." the racial group black lives matter and allowing open immigration that forcing others to pay for that group of people is not playing fair either.

I am for cutting taxes and forcing religion to pay down our debt for the good of the country and its people. "god" (whatever that means to you), "country", and then religion.

For me, god is 1) work hard, earn one's keep, one is responsible for one's actions, and one's duty is to help when one can. 2) LCU too, love compassion, and understanding. always right there to keep me honest as human can be honest.

of course, I have less emotion involved in choosing. I don't have to dislike a person to disagree with them. The far left and right don't seem to understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality