Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM

22,627 posts, read 19,339,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Silly theists...everyone knows what she looks like...
=another non-description

de·scrip·tion
noun
a spoken or written representation or account of a person, object, or event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 02:57 PM

9,699 posts, read 10,055,137 times
God is an spiritual Essence of the Creator of Life and eternal judge , which is Father Lord God , Jesus son of God , and God`s spirit who is called Holy Spirit who are one God , who is Omni present through out , and the number of God is 333 , which is three in the trinity .. God has His Angelic Host , and the followers of Christ who rules by the Justice , love, Goodness of His Greatness , and God does not rule in the spirit were evil and hatred and pride have authority , but has the Spiritual authority to redeem people out of these wickedness curses where faith is acted on by His unquestionable truth .......

Old 10-01-2017, 03:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,632,159 times
I think the biosphere is in homeostasis. It is life. So I think people are just misunderstanding their connection to the biosphere and indeed the universe. denying that because we are afraid of religion is stupid. Omni dude just doesn't match observation. clowns to the left of me and jokers to the right.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:37 PM

28,137 posts, read 30,066,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Inquiring mind... (mine)... would like to know for a project I'm working on.

Many thanks.
I believe that God is my Heavenly Father, i.e. that He is literally the father of my spirit and that I am His spirit daughter. I believe He knows me personally, knows my name, understands my personality and character, is aware of my hopes and desires, and cares immensely about me. In other words, He is the quintessential perfect parent. I believe He is the Creator of our universe and that we can attribute to Him 100% of the good things in our lives, and that He has a purpose in allowing us to experience trials and challenges.

I believe that God the Father reigns supreme, and that together, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost comprise the Godhead, which is a perfect union of three personages who all desire the best for us. I believe that God's work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, and that we exist in order that we might ultimately attain perfect joy and spent eternity with Him and with our loved ones.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:00 PM

2,787 posts, read 2,696,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If you put it in quotes
And they ask you about the soul.
Say: The soul is one of the commands of my Lord,
and you are not given aught of science but a little. The Holy Quran.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,632,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
And they ask you about the soul.
Say: The soul is one of the commands of my Lord,
and you are not given aught of science but a little. The Holy Quran.

what? commands of the lord? so you are asking us to follow a command of the lord when that lord is showing us what he really means, and indeed is, through the observations we are collecting?

lucky for you that your lord is not what you claim.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:37 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,334,981 times
Whatever "God" may be, it (I'll call God "it" since I doubt a real god would have a gender -- which is only needed for biological reproduction) ... whatever this god may be, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with what you'll find in one of these ancient holy books -- or even the more recent ones concocted by Mormons or JWs.

IF a god exists, it would be a far more nobler being than the vain and petty gods written about in these books.

If this god is truly good -- he would be truly good. Not morally contradictory gods from a book, gods that murder, torture, and terrorize their creation and then pretend that they are gods of love, compassion, goodness, and forgiveness.

The REAL god is aloof, like it or not. Even if this god created us, it decided that, once created, we are on our own. Perhaps this being will be there, waiting for us when we die, but while we're on earth, it doesn't pull strings, grant prayers, or pick favorites.

Nor does the REAL god entertain nonsensical concepts like Original Sin or the need to constantly beg for forgiveness merely for being that which we were created to be.

The REAL god is not perpetually angry, constantly displeased, and seemingly quick to throw punishments our way -- without ever explaining what he's angry about. This leaves fallible humans to try and guess what it might be which further leads to things like scapegoating and making wild unsubstantiated assumptions as to what made god angry THIS time ...

The thing is, should a real god exist, there's not much I can say about it. Why? Because we humans cannot truly fathom it.

It's easier to explain what god is likely NOT rather than what it IS. Because we don't know.

And these religions with their holy book which merely assume that God is a lot like us, but without the "sin." Gods that would create sentient beings for the sole and express reason to serve, love, praise, worship and, most importantly, OBEY it. The same kind of oppression that any human dictator would unleash should he be given infinite power.

Nah, a real god wouldn't do that. Not a real good god, at any rate.

A truly good god with infinite powers, a universe-creating god, would be far above that sort of behavior and wouldn't give a damn what we humans did because we are well below the ability to ever do that god any harm whatsoever.

A true universe-creating god wouldn't be hung up on human sexuality, either, yet the gods of holy books seem not just concerned with, but obsessed over what we do with those bits between our legs. Everything from god wanting a big pile of foreskins to the literally hundreds of rules regarding who to sleep with, when, how, and for how long. It's ridiculous.

And would a truly all-powerful god really give a damn if someone puts on the other gender's clothes? Considering that's a purely invented concept, determining which garment belongs to which gender, only humans care about that. The ridicule factor goes through the roof.

What kind of good and just god would feel he has to murder his own son in order to forgive humanity?

Let's say you get into a car accident and it's your fault. The driver of the car you hit, we'll call him Jehovah, gets out of his car and you apologize to him. Yeah, I'm really sorry about that, my bad, here's my insurance information ...

Oh, no no, Jehovah says. I won't make you report the accident and have your insurance rates go up. No, of course not. Instead .. and he trails off, waving for someone else to get out of the car. A man in his mid-30's, healthy and fit, gets out of the passenger side. Jehovah continues by saying that this man is his son, and in order for Jehovah to forgive you for the accident, he's willing to torture his son for 3 days and then kill him. What do you think about that? Isn't it glorious? Isn't Jehovah an awesome person for doing that?

I'm sure that, while you're standing there on the road, cars whizzing past you, that you would be absolutely horrified, appalled ... you might even decide to call the police before this escalates. This guy Jehovah is CRAZY and he has to be stopped before this psycho really does kill his son!

Yeah, you see, in any other context, this son-sacrificing person would be considered a lunatic, but within the context of religion -- wow, isn't it a beautiful gesture?

A true god would act so bizarre and homicidal.

No doubt, I'm sure, that we won't know the true god ... should one exist ... until we actually leave this earth for the final time. That's the way the true god wants it rather than giving just enough away in a holy book to spark rampant speculation, guesses, and assumptions about who and what god is -- and what he wants.

Nope, a real god truly IS unknowable. Period.

And we definitely do not know.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:38 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,374,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
it is not I think but I believe that there is only one god and his name is not God but his name is Allah

and Allah has many other beautiful names and you can use any name
but his name in all the languages is Allah

here are the names of Allah (Name/Transliteration Translation)
ALLÂH Allâh
AR-RAHMÂN The Most Compassionate,The BeneficentThe Beneficent
AR-RAHÃŽM The Merciful
AL-MALIK The King
AL-QUDDÛS The Most Holy
AS-SALÂM The All-Peaceful, The Bestower of peace
AL-MU'MIN The Granter of security
AL-MUHAYMIN The Protector
AL-'AZÃŽZ The Mighty
AL-JABBÂR The Compeller
AL-MUTAKABBIR Supreme in Greatness,The Majestic
AL-KHÂLIQ The Creator
AL-BÂRI' The Maker
AL-MUSAWWIR The Bestower of form,The Shaper
AL-GAFFÂR The Forgiver
AL-QAHHÂR The Subduer
AL-WAHHÂB The Bestower
AR-RAZZÂQ The Provider
AL-FATTÂH The Opener, The Judge
AL-'ALÃŽM The All-Knowing
AL-QÂBID The Withholder
AL-BÂSIT The Expander
AL-KHÂFID The Abaser
AR-RÂFI' The Exalter
AL-MU'IZZ The Bestower of honour
AL-MUDHILL The Humiliator
AS-SAMÃŽ' The All-Hearing
AL-BASÃŽR The All-Seeing
AL-HAKAM The Judge
AL-'ADL The Just, The Equitable
AL-LATÃŽF The Gentle, The Knower of subtleties
AL-KHABÃŽR The All-Aware
AL-HALÃŽM The Forbearing
AL-'AZÃŽM The Incomparably Great
AL-GAFÛR The Forgiving
ASH-SHAKÛR The Appreciative
AL-'ALIYY The Most High
AL-KABÃŽR The Most Great
AL-HAFÃŽZ The Preserver
AL-MUGHÃŽTH The Sustainer
AL-HASÃŽB The Reckoner
AL-JALÃŽL The Majestic, The Revered, The Sublime
AL-KARÃŽM The Generous
AR-RAQÃŽB The Watchful
AL-MUJÃŽB The Responsive
AL-WÂSI' The All-Encompassing, The All-Embracing
AL-HAKÃŽM The Wise
AL-WADÛD The Loving One
AL-MAJÃŽD The Most Glorious
AL-BÂ'ITH The Resurrector
ASH-SHAHÃŽD The Witness
AL-HAQQ The Truth
AL-WAKÃŽL The Ultimate Trustee, The Disposer of Affairs
AL-QAWIYY The Most Strong
AL-MATÃŽN The Firm One, The Authoritative
AL-WALIYY The Protector
AL-HAMÃŽD The All-Praised, The Praiseworthy
AL-MUHSÃŽ The Reckoner
AL-MUBDI' The Originator
AL-MU'ÃŽD The Restorer to life
AL-MUHYÃŽ The Giver of life
AL-MUMÃŽT The Causer of death
AL-HAYY The Ever-Living
AL-QAYYÛM The Self-Existing by Whom all subsist
AL-WÂJID The Self-Sufficient, The All-Perceiving
AL-MÂJID The Glorified
AL-WÂHID The One
AS-SAMAD The Eternally Besought
AL-QÂDIR The Omnipotent, The Able
AL-MUQTADIR The Powerful
AL-MUQADDIM The Expediter
AL- MU'AKHKHIR The Delayer
AL-AWWAL The First
AL-ÂKHIR The Last
AZ-ZÂHIR The Manifest
AL-BÂTIN The Hidden
AL-WÂLÎ The Governor, The Protector
AL-MUTA'ÂLÎ The Most Exalted
AL-BARR The Benign, The Source of All-Goodness
AT-TAWWÂB The Granter and Accepter of repentence
AL- MUNTAQIM The Lord of Retribution, The Avenger
AL-'AFUWW The Pardoner
AR-RA'ÛF The Most Kind, The Clement
MÂLIK-UL-MULK Owner of the Kingdom
DHUL JALÂL WAL IKRÂM Possessor of Majesty and Honour
AL-MUQSIT The Just, The Equitable
AL-JÂME' The Gatherer
AL-GHANIYY The All-Sufficient
AL-MUGHNÃŽ The Enricher
AL-MÂNI' The Preventer of harm
AD-DÂRR The Afflicter
AN-NÂFI' The Benefiter
AN-NÛR The Light
AL-HÂDÎ The Guide
AL-BADÃŽ' The Originator
AL-BÂQÎ The Everlasting
AL-WÂRITH The Ultimate Inheritor
AR-RASHÃŽD The Guide
AS-SABÛR The Patient One

Allah is the creator of every thing and he created us via Adam and Eve who are created by Allah and they were in Heaven but because they did something were not supposed to do Allah moved them to the earth and because of that we are in this planet and we will return to Allah in the last day and some will got to Heaven and some will go to Hell.

and still there are many thing to say about Allah.

...Not Allah. Also, truth-teller I'm blocking you. You're a liar.

The word for Yahweh and the word for the god of the Muslims are completely different. This means that any and all claims of "Allah and the Jewish/Christian God are basically the same deity" is completely false. The word for the Jewish God is alribu in Arabic, not even on this list. Nor is anything resembling El Shaddai, the more common name for Yahweh. The name Allah was taken from one of Mecca's many deities, and was a female moon god. Hmmm, crescent moon in all the flags. Since connection with Constantine, God was associated with light and the sun. Meaning your god and ours are as different as night and day.

How would I describe God? I wouldn't. God is a being that should be beyond our comprehension, but chooses to behave like a human, like the rest of us. God is within everything in existence but rather than being all like Superman with huge light shows and stuff, approaches us more like a lover. This is what you Muslims will never get, you are so wrapped up in this god that humans can't know (if we can't know God, there is no relationship with the divine and you may as well be atheists) that you don't understand, I could meet God yesterday, and decide thereafter to call God Emily. In fact, that's what I'll do. God is now Emily, because she said so.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:59 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,827,506 times
So, Cal -angel (copyright that before someone uses it for for a health food) you have more different meanings (and non -meanings) for God than pimples on a punk. Including God -deniers, denying It, And Shirina is right. I long ago rejected the idea of god as an old dood with a white beard as nonsense. It there was a god, it was genderless, but you can't say that because it is Disrespectful.

To whom? Even women say it is disrespectful to call God "It'. So like those muslim ladies who tell themselves that they are liberated by the Hijab rather than put under wraps by it there are women who willingly accept the Male domination weapon of Organized theism.

That god does not exist. You can bet on it. It is inconceivable, nonsense. Impossible. Some Sorta -god could possibly.exist. A, Intelligent creative It. I don't believe it myself, not just because logic dictates it in the absence of good evidence, but because I don't see the spoor of it where there out to be heaps of spoor. And Absence of evidence can be evidence of absence.

But those who believe in a cosmic mind, a Spinozan everything -god could be right. I don't know, which is why I am agnostic, as well as atheist as regards a buy -in position, and a God -denier as regards the Ring -species of Abrahamic gods descended from El of the Sumerians.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-02-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,105,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Inquiring mind... (mine)... would like to know for a project I'm working on.

Many thanks.
I think the God in Abrahamic faith is what you are referring to?

Otherwise, if you ask the same question from the followers of most other faiths, like Hindus, Greeks, Roman, Buddhists etc .. they will probably post a picture of statute or an animal and your project will be completed pretty swiftly.

When it comes to Abrahamic faiths, Christianity could also have a portion of followers who may point towards the statue of Jesus on cross, and answer your question.

Then, you are left with Judaism and Islam

I can't speak for Judaism but from the Islamic point of view. The answer is, we cannot fully describe God physically, because we have not seen him. I don't know the answer to your question if you are asking how many arms or legs does God have? Or how many eyes and heads does God have? Or how does God run, walk or sleep? Because these seem to be attributes of humans and animals.

However, Quran does give us a short and basic description of God in Chapter 112. This chapter has only 4 versus.

[112.1] Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;
[112.2] Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
[112.3] He begets not, nor is He begotten.
[112.4] Nor is there to Him any equivalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality