Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:57 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Love it...in the spirit of the thread I don't think this is off topic...why do you think God cannot be prayed to or revered?............
Because no matter how hard we try we cannot pray in the traditional manner without assigning human-like attributes to God. The anthropomorphism of God goes back to the earliest versions of God and have never been overcome. We have gotten past the "Family in The Sky" model that worked for Greeks and others, but have yet to come to a realization of what God is.

The wisdom of god can be accessed, but I don't think traditional prayer does the trick. And God can't be revered because - again, no matter how hard we try - our reverence comes off as a trade; I worship you, you give me what I need.

Listen. Be still. The omnipresent consciousness is available to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:12 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Because no matter how hard we try we cannot pray in the traditional manner without assigning human-like attributes to God. The anthropomorphism of God goes back to the earliest versions of God and have never been overcome.
Maybe they should not have been "overcome." The Apostle Peter believed in an anthropomorphic God. When asked by a doubter if the shape of man has actually been molded out of the shape of God, Peter responds:

"I am really quite certain, that this is the case... It is the shape of the just God. For He has shape, and He has every limb primarily and solely for beauty's sake, and not for use. For He has not eyes that He may see with them; for He sees on every side, since He is comparably more brilliant in His body than the visual spirit which in in us, and He is more splended than everything, so that in comparison with Him the light of the sun may be reckoned as darkness. Nor has He ears that He may hear; for He hears, perceives, moves, energizes, acts on every side. But He has the most beautiful shape on account on man, that the pure in heart, may be able to see Him, that they may rejoice because they suffered. For He moulded man in His own shape as in the grandest seal..." (This is from the Clementine Homilies, an early Jewish-Christian document.)

Old 10-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
This sounds pretty good but I am not sure if I agree with the part that God would've not existed if we did not exist.

Did God not exist before he created mankind?.............
My view of God is that He was the first consciousness, and that He created all consciousness through multiplication. His first efforts were no more aware of themselves than a tree, but later ramifications have become more and more aware. More and more awake.
For that matter, God Himself may not be aware of himself.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
My view of God is that He was the first consciousness, and that He created all consciousness through multiplication. His first efforts were no more aware of themselves than a tree, but later ramifications have become more and more aware. More and more awake.
A thought that crosses my mind more and more often the past couple of years.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:26 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
God is a delusion.

Self-delusion is evolutions tasty little Prozac.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Because no matter how hard we try we cannot pray in the traditional manner without assigning human-like attributes to God. The anthropomorphism of God goes back to the earliest versions of God and have never been overcome. We have gotten past the "Family in The Sky" model that worked for Greeks and others, but have yet to come to a realization of what God is.

The wisdom of god can be accessed, but I don't think traditional prayer does the trick. And God can't be revered because - again, no matter how hard we try - our reverence comes off as a trade;
I worship you, you give me what I need.

Listen. Be still. The omnipresent consciousness is available to you.
I know we do not know each other...you're talkin to the choir. I'm not included in
your 'we'.
Be still ... The omnipresent consciousness is available to you.
That's been my motto for over 4 decades.

Communicating to the Divine, the All That Is, is an every day thing;
and when the Divine is directly experienced...the awe that occurs just naturally could be
called reverence or worship or appreciation or love or just plain being dumbstruck left breathless and
changed forever...!

I went to therapy 20 years ago because of a relationship/childhood trauma issue...I learned in the first session....not good to say 'we'.
Well, then there's Mark Twain...The only people that should use 'we' are editors, kings and people with tapeworm.
(An alternative is 'some'... or 'many'...I also must watch this because so many do say 'we',
I can fall into it myself.)

Glad you came back to the thread....great addition!

Old 10-03-2017, 02:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
God is a delusion.

Self-delusion is evolutions tasty little Prozac.
its more of a illusion. "Delusions" claims are made by people that do not really know what they don't know and go running around likes its all we need to know. but hey, why let a knowledge claim get in the way of your little tantrum. You definitely have company in the romper room.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:55 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Scientists with their love of hyper logic cause great harm to our planet everyday with nuclear bombs,chemical waste,synthetics and more why not worry about them and the excesses of logic too.
We do worry about them. They also provide vaccines and medical technology that protect us and our children, which has lengthened our life span. They have provided access to more information than ever before, so that we can make rational decisions. They have provided the means for us to study the cosmos and our own planet in order to better understand our origins so that we can better predict our future.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
I look at it as if you are saying, 1000 years ago, Oxygen did not exist because our consciousness did not perceive it. And Oxygen won't exist after we die because our consciousness will not perceive it. Or as a matter of fact, Oxygen does not exist when we are asleep.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I look at it as if you are saying, 1000 years ago, Oxygen did not exist because our consciousness did not perceive it. And Oxygen won't exist after we die because our consciousness will not perceive it. Or as a matter of fact, Oxygen does not exist when we are asleep.
Not really what I'm saying.

What I am saying is, if all the molecules of nitrogen and oxygen were removed from the earth, there would be no air.
And if all forms of life were removed from earth, there would be no God.
Air cannot exist without the particles that make up air; God cannot exist without the life that comprises Him.
That's my belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality