Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,100,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakovskii View Post
"Lead" is not a meaning of the word Lamed as far as I know. In case you think so, please find any Bible verse that uses the word Lamed that way.
If you teach someone then you are leading them...You still are not thinking in a functional way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
"Lead" is not a meaning of the word Lamed as far as I know. In case you think so, please find any Bible verse that uses the word Lamed that way.
I thought you said it was Lamad?...

Old 02-13-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
They are alternate pronunciations for the same Hebrew spelling.
Lamad and Lamed are two different words...With different meanings...

Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM

128 posts, read 118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
If you teach someone then you are leading them...You still are not thinking in a functional way...
There is a functional distinction, because these are two different functions.
"The teacher stood up and walked to the blackboard and 'led' the class mathematics"
This does not make functional sense.

Please cite any reputable linguistic scholar who says Hebrew words can be decipered etymologically.
Spoiler
Ridiculous Word Pictures / Hebrew Word Pictures, by Nehemiah Gordon

I have been asked to prove that Hebrew word-pictures are utter nonsense, that the pictures represent sounds and not ideas. I could point you to ANY grammar of the Hebrew language and it will confirm this. However, I would be happy to prove it. Take even the simplest example and you can see the word-pictures don’t work. Aleph-Bet [AV-father] = bull of the house > strong one of the house > father. Makes sense, right? The only problem is switch around the letters and you get Bet-Aleph [BA] = arrive, enter. Is that the bull entering the house? LOL!

The biggest problem with the word-pictures is they are entirely arbitrary. You can make them say whatever you want them to say.
https://www.qodesh.co.za/pages/the-p...ebrew-delusion

The only way to make this work is through the type of inner decipherment found in Jewish mysticism. I find it feasible, but it's not the same as claiming the language itself normally works that way.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I thought you said it was Lamad?...
Lamed is either a different English spelling of Lamad, meaning to teach, or it's derived directly from it.
They are the same spelling in Hebrew. How else do you explain that EL god is spelled with an E in English and uses an Aleph in Hebrew?

Quote:
The Hebrew name of the letter itself, lamed, comes from the root lamad meaning to learn or teach, which first occurs in Deuteronomy 4:1

"And now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the rules that I am teaching you..."

The Letter Lamed
Quote:
Meaning

Lamed means to learn and to teach—found in the daily prayers with the phrase lilmod u’lameid.10

But the word lamed, the com*mandment to teach, is not directed merely toward school*teachers, it is adirectivefor every individual. Every person can influence his or her friend or student, and every parent has the obligation to teach his or her children the knowledge of G‑d, good deeds and ethics. The Torah tells us11 that “You shall teach your children and talk to them about these things†(i.e., the Torah’s commandments and responsibilities). The Rambam informs us that this passage is the premise for the mitzvah of talmud Torah, Torah study; that through the commandment to teach our children, we know of our own obligation to study the Torah. For how can we teach our children the Torah if we haven’t learned it ourselves?

We can all ask a simple question: Why do we have to learn about this most essential commandment indirectly? If G‑d wanted to tell us that we are obligated to learn Torah, why didn’t He just say, “Learn Torah!†Why do we have to learn about this mitzvah by way of the commandment “Teach your childrenâ€?
Lamed

Old 02-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Richard,
I like that you at least are interested in the topic. I would like to have a discussion with you on the information I put in message #68:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/47175869-post68.html

Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Lamed is either a different English spelling of Lamad, meaning to teach, or it's derived directly from it.
They are the same spelling in Hebrew. How else do you explain that EL god is spelled with an E in English and uses an Aleph in Hebrew?
It is limed, verb לִמֵּד, to teach...As for אל, see here - Translation

What is your end-point in all this?...What do you hope to learn?...To put into practice?...

Last edited by Richard1965; 02-15-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 12:13 AM

22,626 posts, read 19,329,340 times
Quote:

What is your end-point in all this?...What do you hope to learn?...To put into practice?...
Very good question

Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Very good question
Indeed...

Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
They are the same spelling in Hebrew.
It is limed, verb לִמֵּד, to teach...
לִמֵּד = LMD
Lamed, Limed, Lamad - they are all spelled the same way in Torah Hebrew, which lacked vowels.

The Hebrew letters consistently have names phonetically related to the meanings of the names. The letter ' is called yod, meaning an arm. The letter לִ is called Lamed. What Hebrew word is phonetically is related to that?

Numerous writers say that Lamed either means teach or else is derived from the Hebrew word for teach, and that the symbol, an L with a hook at the bottom rather than at arm-height, refers to an ox-goad. That makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality