Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:57 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,118,933 times

Advertisements

Thread moved to Religion & Spirituality--No longer appears to be a Judaic topic

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 01-12-2017 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 04:36 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,118,933 times
The reason I moved this here is because a Jew is not permitted to write of say the name of G-D, any attempt for a Jew to answer the OP is offensive to some Jews.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 PM

128 posts, read 118,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The reason I moved this here is because a Jew is not permitted to write of say the name of G-D, any attempt for a Jew to answer the OP is offensive to some Jews.
OK.
One of the interesting issues is that this goes along with what I am saying in the OP about the importance of the name of God itself and the value of interpreting it.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
H in Hebrew is not a vowel.
Question: In Hebrew, is "H" pronounced the same way as in English, exactly?
I know that in Yiddish, there is a common h/kh/ch sound that is like H, but different (like the H/Ch in Hanukkah).

Here is where I read about h being a vowel. Joel Hoffman, Hebrew professor at Hebrew Union College, writes in his book "In the Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Alphabet":
Quote:
A religious leader... may have realized that writing was central to spreading the word of God. And vowels were central to letting people read and write. In one short paragraph we find the name of the one member of the Hebrew god-set as marked by the letter heh, and the instruction to write down the creed that the Lord is in fact one.

[The word YHWH is] amazing in its connection to the vowel letters invented by the Hebrews, for it contains nothing but those letters...
The reason why YHWH was chosen for God's name, he says,
Quote:
is that the letters in yhwh were chosen not because of the sounds they represent, but because of their symbolic power in that... no other culture had [them]; yhwh has no traditional pronunciation... because it never had a pronunciation to begin with. After all, the Hebrews' great invention was the doubling up of yud, heh, and vav as vowel letters. ... We also see the heh, so prominent elsewhere [ie because added into Abrahm, Saray, Elym], used twice.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risen View Post
I saw a DVD that outlined how the paleo-hebrew letters have meanings which, when looked at on a word by word basis, reveal deeper insights into God's truth.

In this case, I believe based on the link you gave that the meaning of YHVH's letters is:

Worship and live in line with (work), The Revealed Spirit (Breath) and set your gaze upon Him. Add to yourself, and make it secure on yourself, that Revealed Spirit (Breath) and do not stray from gazing upon Him.
Here is a problem I have with this whole exercise. You are saying that the meaning is work (I guess because of yod=arm) and breath (for heh). But I have seen several other Christian writers imagine several very different meanings instead.
A common one is hand, behold, nail, behold, and they see this as referring to the crucifixion or to Thomas seeing Jesus' hand wounds in John 20.
And the big differences in peoples' answers to this is the kind of thing making me question whether there is any credibility in this method at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risen View Post
I'd be curious how an Orthodox Rabbi would interpret that.
From a New Testament perspective, this fits with the message being that we are to receive the Holy Spirit in us, live according to God's direction empowered by His Spirit. It also fits in well with something Paul said in 2 Corinthians about why setting our gaze on the Spirit is so important:
"And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
The fact that the nature and things of the Spirit has to be revealed to us also fits with 1 Corinthians 2:
"these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God."
One problem with what you proposed is that you didn't use the concept of the letter Waw in YahWeh anywhere. Waw is nail/hook, and I heard it could also refer to a kind of connector.

One of the problems is that I don't want to get sucked into pseudoscience or guessing things that aren't there. Do you understand what I mean?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
No Orthodox Jew would respond to this Chrstian thread. There's not one single Jewish concept in this thread. This thing is in the wrong forum.
Hi Flip Flop.
What do you think about Joel hoffman who I cited in the OP? He is a Jewish professor of Hebrew at Hebrew Union College.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
It would require an understanding of what shapes of what letters are actually relevant and how Judaism approaches the value of the shape of those letters (which is, mostly, it doesn't. Only in rare cases is the shape significant.)
Thanks for your reply, rosends.

In the Jewish Encyclopedia's online entries for Yod and Waw, it says these letters mean arm and nail, respectively. (see eg. YOD - JewishEncyclopedia.com).

I haven't noticed many cases where they use these kinds of shapes to draw deeper meanings, but I found a few, like their treatment of the words passover and pharoah using the letter that means mouth.

Here is one place of several where I saw passover deciphered this way:
Quote:
Passover (Pesach) - Open Your Mouth & Speak
The Jewish holiday, Passover (Pesach in Hebrew) is almost upon us. There's a myriad of messages within it for anyone, of any religion or no religion. There are universal truths waiting to be discovered

Perhaps the most important message, per my “unholy silence series,” is this: Pesach is composed of two Hebrew words – “Peh” (Mouth) & “Sach” (Speak).

Pesach is about facing life’s darkest moments and not allowing them to define us, imprison us, or enslave us. Pesach is about finding our mouth, our voice and learning how to truly speak.
Passover (Pesach) Open Your Mouth & Speak | JewishBoston
Here is where I saw pharaoh deciphered:
Quote:
In the Book of Exodus,2 Pharaoh, whose name also begins with a pei, said, “Let us [confine the Jews to slavery] lest they multiply.” The word for “lest” in Hebrew is פן, pen: pei-nun. G‑d was displeased with Pharaoh’s declaration, so He “knocked out his tooth” by knocking out the tooth of the pei in Pharaoh’s “pen,” which made it a kaf. Now the word was no longer pen (“lest”) but כן, ken: kaf-nun, meaning “surely.” Surely the Jews will multiply.3
The letter pei actually means “mouth”—peh. A mouth is some*thing we use to speak, and the entire purpose of speaking is to communicate with another individual. That ability to commu*nicate is the essential aspect of eighty’s special strength.

Pesach represents the antithesis of Pharaoh, who, as the Megaleh Amukos12 explains, signifies peh-ra, a “bad mouth.” Pharaoh was someone who denied G‑d’s providence in every act of nature. Our mouths were not given to us to slander or denigrate others, but to speak of G‑d’s greatness and wonders.

Pei
Yahweh is a very important word in Judaism, but I don't know explicitly of Jewish tradition deciphering it using those meanings (eg. nail , arm, and behold).

Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,056,684 times
YHWH = Iah-Havad = head moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iah

Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,794,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
YHWH = Iah-Havad = head moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iah

Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,272,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakovskii View Post
Question: In Hebrew, is "H" pronounced the same way as in English, exactly?
I know that in Yiddish, there is a common h/kh/ch sound that is like H, but different (like the H/Ch in Hanukkah).

Here is where I read about h being a vowel. Joel Hoffman, Hebrew professor at Hebrew Union College, writes in his book "In the Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Alphabet":

The reason why YHWH was chosen for God's name, he says,
The Hoffman quote makes no sense. He refers to the "god-set" and, according to what you posted, he writes, "In one short paragraph we find the name of the one member of the Hebrew god-set as marked by the letter heh"

Ignoring whatever he means by "god-set", without seeing what paragraph he, in turn, is referring to, it seems that he is mistaking the convention of writing a reference to God in Hebrew just as the letter Hey with an apostrophe for the writing of the name itself. The Hey is short for "hashem" which is the word we use to replace God's actual name. The word means "the name" but is not a name, itself.

Look at the blessings listed on this page -- - ;

Here is one blessing ברוך אתה ה' א‑לוהינו, מלך העולם, פוקח עורים

Note the third word, the Hey with an apostrophe.

Next, Hoffman says "[The word YHWH is] amazing in its connection to the vowel letters invented by the Hebrews, for it contains nothing but those letters... "

Now, unless we are defining "vowel letters" differently I have to call BS on this. Hebrew has no vowel letters. It has diacritical markings which indicate vowel sounds. Note the difference between בְּרֵאשִׁית and בראשית

According to what you say Hoffman wrote, all the letters in the name of God would be vowels and that's simply not the case in Hebrew. The Hey in Hebrew is sometimes vocalized and sometimes silent. But it isn't a vowel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality