Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,138,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
They are in the ground...
Not in the Bible that I have or in the way that I was taught, although I departed Christianity some time ago when Christianity departed from God. Since Jesus is not God and worshipping a false God is breaking one of the 10 Commandments, lot of surprises coming on Judgement Day.

Per me, the souls depart their bodies and are just out in the universe as spirits waiting for Judgement Day at which they will be judged as worthy of Heaven or Hell. Selfishness will send many south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 08:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Not in the Bible that I have or in the way that I was taught, although I departed Christianity some time ago when Christianity departed from God. Since Jesus is not God and worshipping a false God is breaking one of the 10 Commandments, lot of surprises coming on Judgement Day.

Per me, the souls depart their bodies and are just out in the universe as spirits waiting for Judgement Day at which they will be judged as worthy of Heaven or Hell. Selfishness will send many south.
It seems that it is more like what you were taught than what is in your bible...

Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, I think that Purgatory is a kind of a corruption of the early Christian belief in a Spirit World. I know of several early Christian scholars and Church fathers who speak of a Spirit World that is similar to what I believe. Unfortunately, with the Hellenization of Christianity, quite a number of first- and second-century doctrines were changed. Purgatory is a good example.
Hellinization of Christianity?....Mott like hellinization of a small reform Jewish sect that became Christianity...

Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
I thought purgatory was a Catholic invention. Didn't the Pope recently say there is no such thing, or was that Limbo? I keep getting the two confused.
The Jews have a kind of purgatory...

Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Hellinization of Christianity?....Mott like hellinization of a small reform Jewish sect that became Christianity...
Well, I see what you're saying, and I sort of agree with you. I sort of don't, though. Even though Jesus was Jewish as were His early followers, He did say He was going to establish His Church, and many of the Jewish laws would not be a part of it. On the other hand, Greek philosophical thought greatly influenced what would eventually emerge as the "Christianity" we are familiar with today.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:11 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Don't understand how souls can be in heaven or hell currently. I thought according to the Bible that Judgement Day is in the future and that it is THEN that souls will be judged to go to heaven or hell. I'm atheist by the way so I am just inquiring as to this belief to clarify what Bible believers think.
your asking a really hard question .. because you asking us to define and then redefine the goofiness mankind thinks about these issues.

so yes men are in one kind of hell now.
at the resurrection of the dead men are resurrected to judgement.
some will probably just be consumed and some might go to space created to hold immortal lawless of his creation and that is what most people consider hell, but it is created to hold immortals.. demons and fallen angels , powers and all things like death and sin and
hell" which are immortals will go into the bottomless pit . man calls everything he doesn't understand hell and that isn't technically true .

the power or authority we call Death is a void mankind hides in his head and it get it's power from mankind.
so in the empty void (aka Separation from God) which happens at death only if it rules your brain now ... is everything and all powers and authorities and all demons man created by Man's own sins since the fall in the garden .

Now the the 'Bottomless PIT' is where these eternal or immortal powers and authorities will go after they are judged including entities called Death and Hell . then all men who empowered and supported these entities of authority and powerful things man created go there too if they have not been judged and annihilated before this point.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:29 AM

13,605 posts, read 4,937,539 times
I was brought up Lutheran and can swear I was taught that after death it is like we are asleep, until Judgment Day when we are resurrected and then go to one place or the other. Then I converted to Catholicism, in which you are encouraged to ask the dead (saints) to pray for you, so clearly RCC doesn't consider them to be asleep. If we consider that our souls exist outside of time, like God, then it becomes a moot point.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
your asking a really hard question .. because you asking us to define and then redefine the goofiness mankind thinks about these issues.

so yes men are in one kind of hell now.
at the resurrection of the dead men are resurrected to judgement.
some will probably just be consumed and some might go to space created to hold immortal lawless of his creation and that is what most people consider hell, but it is created to hold immortals.. demons and fallen angels , powers and all things like death and sin and
hell" which are immortals will go into the bottomless pit . man calls everything he doesn't understand hell and that isn't technically true .

the power or authority we call Death is a void mankind hides in his head and it get it's power from mankind.
so in the empty void (aka Separation from God) which happens at death only if it rules your brain now ... is everything and all powers and authorities and all demons man created by Man's own sins since the fall in the garden .

Now the the 'Bottomless PIT' is where these eternal or immortal powers and authorities will go after they are judged including entities called Death and Hell . then all men who empowered and supported these entities of authority and powerful things man created go there too if they have not been judged and annihilated before this point.
Oh...Great...Now someone has personified Death and Hell...If personifying satan wasn't enough...

Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I see what you're saying, and I sort of agree with you. I sort of don't, though. Even though Jesus was Jewish as were His early followers, He did say He was going to establish His Church, and many of the Jewish laws would not be a part of it. On the other hand, Greek philosophical thought greatly influenced what would eventually emerge as the "Christianity" we are familiar with today.
Where does he say that the Torah was not going to be a part of his church?...

Old 01-25-2017, 06:56 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Where does he say that the Torah was not going to be a part of his church?...
Did I claim that He said that? I'm sorry; I didn't intend to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality