Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomanno View Post
LOL, suddenly it is fine to teach about religions in school. Let's learn about Christianity! Hooray! P.S. They are conducting Muslim prayers and taking field trips to mosques, so I got back to you just now.
In the late 80's I learned in high school (public school) about the major religions--including Hinduism and Islam. Do you believe that was wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,341,992 times
Quote:
I always love how liberals think writing "link?" constitutes some form of interaction.
I love it how some people seem to think everyone who might be considered a member of some "group" or other is all of a hive mind. "Well, liberals always do this..." and "Christians are all like this..." and "Homosexuals are all so-and-so..."

It just shows a serious deficit in the willingness or ability to think for yourself.

Secondly, you might want to classify me as a liberal. If that's easier on your brain, that's super for you. Fact is I am socially liberal on a lot of issues (I don't believe the govt has any say so in the reproductive rights of private citizens, I don't believe in censorship, I don't have a problem with same sex couples marrying, etc. because those things are none of my business, or the government's.)

I also hold a lot of traditionally conservative views. I'm a big Second Amendment guy, for one thing. I'm also a fiscal conservative.

Sad fact is, true liberals and conservatives don't exist in America (and surely not in American politics) anymore.

Quote:
Nevertheless, since it is amusing to so easily destroy them, I always oblige.

Field trip to mosque: Nashville-Area School District Receives Heat For Taking Students On Field Trip To Mosque

Students participate in Islamic prayer: School Apologizes After Students Pray to Allah on Field Trip to Mosque | Fox News
I already addressed this "news story" above, so if you think these links "destroy" me or my argument, I'm happy to humor you.

I would say I don't have a problem at all with public school kids being taught comparative religion. To be taught some of the history and practices of the world's religions. It's a fascinating subject, though bound to be frightening or offensive to some. I of course don't believe any of this should be taught as if certain religions are "right" and others "wrong" or that the scriptures of one culture are "true" and the others are "false" but religions of various cultures certainly are part and parcel of world history.

I do NOT get behind springboarding off of that to take kids to churches, mosques, temples or Ken Ham's Goodtime Happy Global World Flood Disaster Jamboree and Biblical History Extravaganza.

But what you mentioned was kids being forced to undergo Muslim rituals and say a bunch of "Allah is the true god" horseradishes, which wasn't the case.

Incidentally, Allah is just the Arabic, generic term for "god." It's not the name of a god. Muslims worship the same god as Jews and Christians. the God of Abraham. Which is why those three religions are known as "the Three Abrahamic Faiths."

Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM

254 posts, read 193,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In the late 80's I learned in high school (public school) about the major religions--including Hinduism and Islam. Do you believe that was wrong?
It's not "is it wrong or right" to me. First of all, the actual question is "what's the point?" For example, if you're busy teaching me about Hinduism and Islam, then I'd better be literate when I graduate. If you graduate someone who can't do long division but is great at telling you how Muslims conduct prayers, then you and I will have a problem whether it's "wrong" or "right."

Second of all, if you attempt to eradicate any mention of western God in schools while introducing any discussion of Islam or Wiccans or Druids or anything else, then it's by definition wrong.

Third of all, it's wrong because the same people who claim that religion must be separate from schools are the ones who are bringing it in.

P.S. The last thing is that it's false to claim that we have to pretend that this is a neutral country. This is a Judeo-Christian country and therefore, even if I said "yeah, we should teach Christianity," that doesn't therefore indicate that we must also teach Islam. In actuality, all these other Eastern countries know this much better than Western liberals. In Muslim countries, there is no compunction to be equal, nor in Buddhist countries, nor in any other non-Christian country.

Last edited by momomanno; 07-28-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I would say I don't have a problem at all with public school kids being taught comparative religion. To be taught some of the history and practices of the world's religions.
Neat, Europe and America are part of the world, so they should be taught the history and practices of Christianity.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:35 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
It's not "is it wrong or right" to me. First of all, the actual question is "what's the point?" For example, if you're busy teaching me about Hinduism and Islam, then I'd better be literate when I graduate. If you graduate someone who can't do long division but is great at telling you how Muslims conduct prayers, then you and I will have a problem whether it's "wrong" or "right."
It's an excellent high school. The literacy rate wasn't an issue then, and I don't think it is now.
Quote:
Second of all, if you attempt to eradicate any mention of western God in schools while introducing any discussion of Islam or Wiccans or Druids or anything else, then it's by definition wrong.
I don't believe we really had much discussion of Christianity, nor did it really go in depth on things like Islamic prayer practices. It was a basic intro to what the religions believed.
Quote:
Third of all, it's wrong because the same people who claim that religion must be separate from schools are the ones who are bringing it in.
I don't disagree that it's hypocritical. But then, I don't see why there is any problem with teaching what a local school board determines to be appropriate.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
But then, I don't see why there is any problem with teaching what a local school board determines to be appropriate.
Sure, except everyone always says "...except if the local school board wants Christianity taught, then Moderator cut: bleep them up, down, and sideways." But if the school board is like "we want to teach a second grader how to use a dental dam," it's like "ah, the all-wise school board has spoken! All hail them in their wisdom!!"

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-28-2016 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: That was way over the top on the language thing.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
Quote:
Neat, Europe and America are part of the world, so they should be taught the history and practices of Christianity.
THAT ought to urn quite a few off on Christianity.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
THAT ought to urn quite a few off on Christianity.
Then what's the problem? I should think that would really get liberals excited.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:43 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
Quote:
Then what's the problem? I should think that would really get liberals excited.
Actually, as far as I know, Christianity is included in courses of study on world religions.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Actually, as far as I know, Christianity is included in courses of study on world religions.
Neat, just point me to the closest high school teaching about Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality