Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So from now on I shouldn't believe a word you say? Sounds good.
Talk about twisting a statement to mean something entirely different.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:49 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,752,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I said absolutely NOTHING about "pro-atheist" sources. (I'm not really sure what that is anyway.) I said Ken Ham cannot be considered a reliable source for information about Ken Ham. That seems obvious to me, just like jeffbase40's web site would not be an objective source for information about jeffbase40, or mensaguy's web site would ot be considered an objective source for information about mensaguy.

Why did you bring up "pro-atheist sources?"
It's simple. You are asking me to accept without question content from secular sources that have a bias against Christianity and Ken Hamm. Of course, they are going to leap at any thing they can hang him on.
Facts are still facts. If Ken says he is charging 50 cents a ticket as a tax for the city, that's a fact.

I prefer to hear both sides of a story before judging someone.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Says the guy who believes we poofed into existence and the world was flooded to the tops of the mountains. I don't think you should be questioning anyone's intellect... Just sayin.
Is that's what you believe? Poof and the universe just happened and human beings are nothing more than animals. That is the more extra-ordinary belief, if you ask me.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,611,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Is that's what you believe? Poof and the universe just happened and human beings are nothing more than animals. That is the more extra-ordinary belief, if you ask me.
No, it isn't what I believe. So, the rest of your post is just nonsense and putting words into people's mouths. You are all about "facts" when it comes to Ham, right? Try this fact out for size....

FACT: If you believe the world was flooded to the tops of the mountains, you might be a lower IQ individual who shouldn't comment on anyone else's intellect.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
No, it isn't what I believe. So, the rest of your post is just nonsense and putting words into people's mouths. You are all about "facts" when it comes to Ham, right? Try this fact out for size....

FACT: If you believe the world was flooded to the tops of the mountains, you might be a lower IQ individual who shouldn't comment on anyone else's intellect.

You need to know what putting words in someone's mouth means. That is only if I am directly attributing a comment as been said by you. I carefully phrased my reply as a question. And your fact is nothing more than more condescending rot. There are many very intelligent people out there who believe in the Bible and the WHOLE Bible.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:20 AM

47,021 posts, read 26,080,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Name one thing about science AIG says that is not backed up with real science.
Seriously? This very thread had someone taking apart Chinese ideograms for "boat" to prove the Flood, completely ignoring the very workable Chinese ideogram for "ark". And yes, actual Chinese scholars have had a chuckle at their expense. AiG has to rewrite pretty much every hard science out there to peddle their beleaguered worldview, and they do a very poor job of it.

To say nothing of their (in)famous habiot of quote-mining actual scientist to make it sound as if they're intending to communicate the exact opposite. It's deceitful, a deliberate attempt to mislead the reader, and it of course hurts the people whose words get twisted.

Quote:
Name one thing the TOE says that is backed up with real science.
The modern synthesis? Pretty much all of it. Now, mind - this is the actual ToE I'm talking about, not the caricature version put forth by people like AiG.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You need to know what putting words in someone's mouth means.
From someone who quotes AiG, that is quite the statement. These are the people who borrowed Stephen J. Gould's name to support their crackpot thesis of there being no transitional fossils.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 07-27-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,611,614 times
Quote:
You need to know what putting words in someone's mouth means. That is only if I am directly attributing a comment as been said by you. I carefully phrased my reply as a question. And your fact is nothing more than more condescending rot. There are many very intelligent people out there who believe in the Bible and the WHOLE Bible.
I know what it means, and you asked, "Is that what you believe?" and the preceded to say, "Poof and the universe just happened and human beings are nothing more than animals. That is the more extra-ordinary belief, if you ask me," as if you were answering the question yourself.

Now, you can "carefully word" something all you want, but if it seems to attribute something to someone who never said it... Well, you are putting words in their mouth. Either way, it is irrelevant at this point, since you answered the question yourself, and I told you that isn't what I believe, making your answer an answer to a question you asked yourself.....

We will have to agree to disagree about there being intelligent people who believe the whole Bible. If you believe in talking snakes/donkeys, God and the Devil betting with people's lives, worldwide floods that covered mountains (And somehow all the vegetation survived, as well as all the animals making their way across the entire globe to new locations after living on an ark that somehow fit them all plus food and a way to get rid of all the crap, even through oceans), parted waters, a person living inside a whale, God making a bear maul 42 kids for calling someone bald, and..... well, you get the picture, you are not what I would call intelligent.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I know what it means, and you asked, "Is that what you believe?" and the preceded to say, "Poof and the universe just happened and human beings are nothing more than animals. That is the more extra-ordinary belief, if you ask me," as if you were answering the question yourself.

Now, you can "carefully word" something all you want, but if it seems to attribute something to someone who never said it... Well, you are putting words in their mouth. Either way, it is irrelevant at this point, since you answered the question yourself, and I told you that isn't what I believe, making your answer an answer to a question you asked yourself.....
I NEVER posted that you said those exact words. Besides if you don't believe that then what do you believe?

Quote:

We will have to agree to disagree about there being intelligent people who believe the whole Bible. If you believe in talking snakes/donkeys, God and the Devil betting with people's lives, worldwide floods that covered mountains (And somehow all the vegetation survived, as well as all the animals making their way across the entire globe to new locations after living on an ark that somehow fit them all plus food and a way to get rid of all the crap, even through oceans), parted waters, a person living inside a whale, God making a bear maul 42 kids for calling someone bald, and..... well, you get the picture, you are not what I would call intelligent.

It's obvious that you will disagree with anything I post. All you demonstrate here is that your understanding of reality is ONLY that with which you can overlay present day civilization and have it match up. What if we had never discovered dinosaur fossils? You might be saying well only stupid people would believe in a book that talks about giant beasts roaming the land. And why is the notion of talking animals so ridiculous? Aren't humans just another species of animal and yet we talk? Funny how evolution just decide to give this gift to ONLY one species out of thousands. You should be thankful that you were not born a fish.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
What if we had never discovered dinosaur fossils? You might be saying well only stupid people would believe in a book that talks about giant beasts roaming the land.
But we have. The existence of dinosaurs is supported by evidence. There is no evidence that a wooden vessel that could hold 2 of each unclean animal and 7 of each clean one could even exist, much less that it did.

Quote:
And why is the notion of talking animals so ridiculous?
Because we have studied what it takes to make human-sounding speech - pharynx, larynx, lips, tongue, hard palate, soft palate etc. Most of that good stuff is absent in, say, snakes. That is to say nothing of the intelligence needed to form a concept of language, to decide on an intent and verbalize it.

Quote:
Aren't humans just another species of animal and yet we talk? Funny how evolution just decide to give this gift to ONLY one species out of thousands.
Intelligence is a precondition for speech (yes, parrots, hahaha..) and it seems intelligence is a rare event.

Quote:
You should be thankful that you were not born a fish.
Certainly rather lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.