Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 10:11 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Doubly sadly,the Kentucky taxpayer will never see that money again, whether the Ark is a success or not.
That's why I wouldn't call them "investors". Investors (1) risk their $$ voluntarily and (2) hope for a return on investment. (1) is not true of taxpayers except for those fortunate enough to agree with the tax breaks, and (2) is a forlorn hope, only rarely and indirectly / partially realized, as it's a claim of trickle-down / knock-on / secondary benefits to the community which clearly are already not panning out compared to the original vision.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
No, that verse is not Jesus telling Christians not to use money to build a theme park. And it is not a verse for all Christians of the nations. In fact, it is aimed only at Israelites.
Wrong.

WRONG!

Get to know your bible. Jesus was rarely taught only to Israelites, but to all, according to christian theology.

For a longer discussion on this text, see this link (which I bet you won't look at, even though it is from an apologetic's site).

Here, a small excerpt dealing with context:
If the reader carefully checks out Luke 12, the subject of the chapter changes from verse 13. The first part of this chapter (1-12) was a warning about hypocrisy, blasphemy and hell, but from verse 13 there is a clear change of subject/topic. Now the overall topic is how Christians should handle wealth and prosperity. The Parable of the Rich Fool commences this section, the man in the parable wanted to build bigger barns to store his wealth rather than share it with others. The parable concludes with these words of Jesus:

'But God said to him, “You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?” This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich towards God.' (Verses 20-21).

So the man in the parable would die that very night and would never enjoy what he had saved for the future. I'm afraid that this is very true and accurate of the attitude of most wealthy people; they build 'big barns' of wealth for their later years but frequently ignore the immediate needs of those around them.

Jesus goes on to tell His disciples that they should not worry too much about physical and material needs since,

'Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.' (Verse 23).

He mentions how even ravens are fed even though they 'do not sow or reap' - Then Solomon is compared to the glory of lillies. Indeed, God is even concerned to clothe 'the grass of the field' – so why should people worry too much about such things?

'For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows you need them. But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.' (Verse 31).

So the message is: Christians must be free of a materialistic, 'getting' approach to life! I have to say that modern western Christians – in the main – have become very materialistic, influenced by the societies in which they live. But God assures us that He is only too pleased to give us His kingdom (verse 32) – monetary, financial and material considerations do not even enter into it!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
No, it comes under the heading of "It is for Israel."
...but the message about not lying with a man as you do a woman was for everyone huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I understand now, I think: members of the Body of Christ are to follow the teachings of Jesus unless it is inconvenient or Paul or someone else later came along and said something that contradicts something allegedly said by Jesus.
Got it spot on.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You only say it's ugly because you need it to be ugly. You have to be so negative about everything Christian. There is nothing ugly about the ark. It's a massive structure within the beautiful Kentucky landscape.

Branson has been very popular destination in the Bible belt region for decades and offers hundreds of shows and new things to see each other. To suggest that people don't like Branson is just pure ignorance. To declare the that Ark exhibit is a failure after just one day is ignorance and bias as well. People like you NEED it to bomb.
There has been a longterm decline in Branson. (I've been there twice, that's enough and have no reason to go again).

Here is an analysis of why:

The Rise and Fall of Branson

Want to recalibrate your perspective on who is ignorant?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
jeffbase, we are dealing with people who feel they have to lie in order to persecute Christians. Don't ever think these same people will give you a fair and unbiased hearing on this board. Even people like Transponder spread malicious statements that our beliefs have been blown away. These atheists and unbelievers are getting more and more desperate.

Moderator cut: Orphaned
Persecution complex much?

Try being a Shi'ite Muslim in a Sunni Muslim community in the Middle East. You might understand real persecution.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2016 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Considering that both you and Jeff misrepresent what the theory of evolution actually states or what an atheist actually is and refuse to even acknowledget anything that would better inform you I do not think you you can take a high ground here or on any other thread. The fact that neither you or Jeff give your God any respect as far as his ten Commandments go indicates to me that you both only want to use your religion as a tool upon others instead of being honest people.

From my atheistic view, neither of you demonstrate the good that many Christians show or that is in your Bible. But maybe I am wrong and your religion is about making false statements about others and getting points for playing the victim.

It's time that some said what you did. It HAD to be said.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Religious faith is an emotional thing, it cannot be swayed by intellectual arguments one way or the other. The two operate on different levels.
Unfortunately, I know you are right. One cannot defeat emotion with logic. And that applies not only to religion, but most other aspects in live, unless the student wants to learn. If not, emotion wins every time.

Most religious fanatics think they already know it all, and will not accept new knowledge.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
No, that verse is not Jesus telling Christians not to use money to build a theme park. And it is not a verse for all Christians of the nations. In fact, it is aimed only at Israelites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Wrong.

WRONG!
In fact, you are wrong.

Quote:
Get to know your bible. Jesus was rarely taught only to Israelites, but to all, according to christian theology.
Mat 15:24 Now He, answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

And He told His disciples:
Mat_10:5 These twelve Jesus commissions, charging them, saying, "Into a road of the nations you may not pass forth, and into a city of the Samaritans you may not be entering.
Quote:
So the message is: Christians must be free of a materialistic, 'getting' approach to life! I have to say that modern western Christians – in the main – have become very materialistic, influenced by the societies in which they live. But God assures us that He is only too pleased to give us His kingdom (verse 32) – monetary, financial and material considerations do not even enter into it!
That is under the law. We are not under law but under grace. We don't earn our way into salvation. It is gratuitously given to us of the nations.
Luke 12 is only to the Jews.
We are not under fear of Christ coming back in a bad way for us of the nations if we are not prepared to meet him.
For instance, they, the Israelite believer, must remain faithful till He returns or he will not be entering the kingdom.
With us of the nations under grace: "1Th 5:10 Who died for our sakes, that, whether we may be watching or drowsing, we should be living at the same time together with Him."

Old 07-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Persecution complex much?
No, just reality. Maybe you should try a dose of it sometime.

Quote:
Try being a Shi'ite Muslim in a Sunni Muslim community in the Middle East. You might understand real persecution.
No, you go first.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
No, it comes under the heading of "It is for Israel."
Quote:
Rafius replied: ...but the message about not lying with a man as you do a woman was for everyone huh?
No, that was under the law of Moses and that law was given only to the Israelite people who were under the law. But we who are outside the law can at least learn from what was given to them.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis
I understand now, I think: members of the Body of Christ are to follow the teachings of Jesus unless it is inconvenient or Paul or someone else later came along and said something that contradicts something allegedly said by Jesus.
Actually you don't understand. It is not about whether it is convenient or not. It is about whether one is of the believers of the nations who are called "the Uncircumsicion" or about whether one is of the believer of the Israelites and who are called "the Circumcision." It is improper to mix the two teachings for the two groups together. That is why there is so much confusion in Christianity today.

Quote:
Got it spot on.
Got is spot off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.