Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,636,202 times

Advertisements

If satan is indeed a real living entity why does he fall in line with everything that's written in the Bible? Wouldn't a real enemy try to formulate his own plans and try to catch his adversaries offguard? I've always thought it was strange that the Bible seems to explain every strategy and plot by satan but he always loses in the end. Is satan a fallen angel that's incredibly stupid? First of all, when Jesus was born about two thousand years ago why didn't satan cause the pregnancy of some fallen woman and at least try to put up a fight? If God decided to cause a virgin birth (a rare occurance) why didn't satan do the same thing at the time of Jesus? We're being told that satan has just been hanging around for a couple of thousand years and when the second coming occurs he's going to swing into action. This makes no sense to me. Of course he's a busy guy trying to move believers to the dark side but if you look at the big picture doesn't this whole scenario resemble a really bad movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
I believe he falls in line with everything the Bible says because the Bible true and the devil is not smart enough to stop what God has said will and will not happen.
The devil does not have the power that God has, John 8:44 says there is no truth in him and he is the father of lies. But you're right he is a busy trying to temp us and confuse us and make us doubt, but the movie is pretty good, I know how it ends

Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,014,606 times
How you doing MG?

I totally understand what you're saying here. I've had the same thoughts as well. However, I have also come to realize that in the Bible things are explained in such a way that people think these things will happen and be totally obvious. That's just not the case. Satan doesn't work in "obvious" ways. Satan sneaks in and grabs hold of the weak, he is very sneaky and subtle. It's these subtleties that are dangerous because no one really understands or sees what is happening.

If his moves were completely obvious, he wouldn't be able to grab a hold of people...they would see it clearly and see him coming. It is so easy for satan to get a hold of people that are least suspecting.

It's kind of like the story of the Gingerbread Man.
Click here to read the story if needed.
The Gingerbread Man - A Traditional Story by Topmarks

Think of the Gingerbread Man as us humans and the fox as satan.

The Gingerbread Man goes running as fast as he can and escapes all the "obvious" threats to him. But the fox is sly and sneaky. He manages to convince the Gingerbread Man that he's not going to eat him...that he only wants to "help" him. Of course, we know how it ends, the fox devours the Gingerbread Man just like satan manages to devour his prey.

As far as satan not impregnating someone. Well, that's a bit more tough to rationalize. However, keep in mind that God is still much more powerful than satan ever will be. Satan may have powers and influence and he has his demons and followes, but I just don't think he's quite powerful enough for "immaculate conception".

I'm sorry to use a children's story to illustrate my perspective, but that is the best explanation I can give you and I think it sums it all up quite nicely.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,468,099 times
You know... I'm glad you brought up that point because I thought I was the only one who thought about things like that.

I always envision this version of Satan that people try to portray as the bumbling Wile E. Coyote trying to catch the Roadrunner. I'm sorry, that's just the visual imagery that comes to my mind when I hear about how Satan supposedly works.

Next time on City-Data... Satan uses rocket powered rollerskates to lure another believer into his realm....

OK, I'm sorry.

YouTube - Coyote catches Road Runner

Last edited by GCSTroop; 02-18-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 AM

932 posts, read 1,275,515 times
Because God knows EVERYTHING that will happen. HE knows what I'll say when I drop my daughters friend off at her home in an hour, he knows if I'll have more children, he knows the very day and minute of when I will die.

Free will, yes- but he still KNOWS.

As for satan- hes not smarter than God- which is why he'll never be ahead of him.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,118,496 times
Kawgpz550, I like your comparison using the Gingerbread man.
Only thing is , the fox would have to be God. Since the story goes that the fox (God) convinced the Gingerbread man (humans) that he would be safe with him.
So in the end it will be God that eats the humans.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,014,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Kawgpz550, I like your comparison using the Gingerbread man.
Only thing is , the fox would have to be God. Since the story goes that the fox (God) convinced the Gingerbread man (humans) that he would be safe with him.
So in the end it will be God that eats the humans.
I see where you're coming from, however, that is not how God operates. If HE "convinces" someone they're safe, He will not deceive them as the fox/satan will.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM

265 posts, read 615,892 times
all of satans tricks are OLD and he can't create anything, so there is nothing new the devil can produce. as far as the bible giving it away what satan will do, and why don't the devil maybe change his strategy, well satan can't CHANGE and he can only do what he forever is, and that's defeated.

no matter what method of sin the devil may offer men it's all still wrong and is indeed sin. sin is sin and devil is busy tryin to make all God says into a lie and so far he's still loosing.http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/PHD/PHD611/RBC2_25.jpg (broken link)

I really like this site......

Old 02-18-2008, 09:41 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,118,496 times
The problem is , the Gingerbread man can’t tell the good guys from the bad guy.
So if the antichrist really exists, guess who its going to be.

Now don’t get to attached at what I’m saying, after all I’m Buddhist and don’t believe in the fox.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,636,202 times
If God knows everything in advance couldn't you say that satan was just being used by God to serve God's purposes rather than his own? Judging by some of the comments so far it seems like even the religious people don't think that satan is the sharpest tool in the shed. Wouldn't it be even a little more interesting if satan actually had a chance of winning instead of just being the fall guy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality