Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:32 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,972,996 times

Advertisements

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-exempt-status

Watch "Going Clear." This so-called religion is an abusive scam. End their tax exempt status and spread the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:34 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Duplicate of that in A/A I think this should be closed. And I can't agree with it anyway.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 13,701,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Duplicate of that in A/A I think this should be closed. And I can't agree with it anyway.
Based on what's doable I endorse it. Scientology was granted tax exempt status in the early 1990s because they carpet-bombed the IRS with so many lawsuits that even the IRS couldn't take it and were happy to make the problem go away. Originally the IRS denied them tax protection, and appropriately so.

L Ron Hubbard was himself a tax evader, big time. Lived in international waters for years for that very reason.

We won't get tax exemption repealed across the board anytime soon in America but this "bridge too far" can be repealed and should be. Scientology is more like the mafia than a church.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 AM

23,182 posts, read 26,343,351 times
Quote:
Why is that?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why is that?
Because I can't support discrimination between religions. The reasons why and how Scientology obtained religious status is irrelevant The rights and privileges for a religion - once recognized - cannot be revoked for one and not the other. If that were so the Church of the FSM and the rights accorded to the atheist viewpoint on religious claims would all become vulnerable to legally - endorsed discrimination.

The campaign to erect holiday poles, have public prayers to Polynesian gods, circulate atheist tracts, put up statues to Baphomet, are all meant to knock down attempts to get particular privileges for a particular religion. Targeting scientology would (perhaps unintentionally) crack the principle of equal rights for all religious views.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 AM

23,182 posts, read 26,343,351 times
Quote:
Because I can't support discrimination between religions. .
The point of this is the claim that it is not and should not qualify as a religion.
However, even if it did, there is an old riddle that might be applicable.
"How do you eat an elephant? ............One bite at a time"

Old 04-06-2015, 09:05 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,222,398 times
Quote:
The point of this is the claim that it is not and should not qualify as a religion.
While I agree with the sentiment that you have to take what you can get sometimes....diluting religion is the best defense from religion. Concentrating religion (by definition), only serves to enhance the power & influence of the remaining religions.

The idea that Scientology is more absurd or corrupt than any other religion, even if I agree, is not something I want a government deciding. I don't want government deciding a particular religion is more logical or more corrupt, outside of declaring all of them to be unworthy of tax exemption.

I'd rather government be "agnostic" to religions and focus on factual & provable methods to better peoples' lives.

Last edited by MartinEden99; 04-06-2015 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yes. That is how they are trying to eradicate the opposition to religious total domination of US society. And this is how we have to push back against that drive for dominance; one bite at a time, but I don't think that this is the way to do it. Revoke religious status for Scientology and a slippery slope is established. If it stands, FSM and atheism lose their equal rights. If it doesn't on the valid grounds that it is going to be hard to establish what are legitimate grounds for being a religion, then the law (if it became one) would have to be struck down.

So this is why - though I sorta appreciate the sentiments behind this petition (I am giving benefit of doubt and not crediting the possibility that Christianity is trying to eliminate a rival) I cannot support, sign nor pass it on.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:43 AM

123 posts, read 279,039 times
Already signed it. I have no issue with anyones religous beliefs. But this is a evil cult, that parades itself as a religion.

Do some online research. Bigoted, racist, evil cult. Baiscally just a Multi-level-marketing scam, that brain washes its members into spiritual serivtude.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Well, we must all decide on our own best information and I suppose there is a case for 'Cult should never become religion'. We shall see how this goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality