Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:55 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yet another brilliant retort. You never fail to impress.
This coming from someone who still prays to Bronze Age desert tribal gods. I have a feeling any brilliance I might possess would be wasted in this thread ...

Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
This coming from someone who still prays to Bronze Age desert tribal gods. I have a feeling any brilliance I might possess would be wasted in this thread ...
As someone who alledgedly has pus for brains, I'm sure you are right. You may be excused.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Well, I think we've sufficiently worn out our little tit for tat war. I'm reasonably certain this thread will be closed soon, so there may not be a point in bringing this back around to the original point.

I do wonder, though, where it will all stop. At what point will Christians be satisfied that they've pushed back hard enough against those civilization-destroying gays to make their point? When gays can no longer own land, perhaps, or have a job? Perhaps all of their records will have a little rainbow attached so that doctors and decide whether or not to give them medical care. Heh, you think I'm being dramatic. I don't. History has shown just how far Christians will go in pursuit of their primitive fairy tales, and if the law laxes just a wee little bit, I have NO doubt in my mind that no brutality or atrocity is too severe for a homosexual.

Not long ago, Scotland became the 17th nation to recognize same-sex marriages nationally. So when America stands with our traditional enemies as being the only nations that still hasn't accepted gay marriage nationally, I can only see America's global status circling the toilet. As long as we behave like this, we'll be almost as bad as South Africa and apartheid, and we all know how the world felt about THAT.

So it's either get with the program and stop fussing over some ridiculous ancient book, or we may as well give up having a leadership role in our community of nations. Because none of the other civilized nations will want much to do with us as long as WE'RE the ones commiting civil rights violations instead of China this time.

Last edited by Shirina; 02-21-2014 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I was actually going to post this in the thread about churches not blessing gay marriages because this story applies there ... but since I can't, I'm making a new thread.

Here's the rub: I've been around long enough to know how Christians are constantly complaining about how persecuted they are. This mainly comes from trivial things like not being able to display massive Christian crosses on a war memorial representing fallen soldiers of multiple different faiths.

The big "outrage" among Christians lately is this fear that churches will be forced to perform ceremonies for gay couples. And while the Christians are wringing their hands over that molehill-to-mountain problem, Christians are busy doing the REAL persecution:

The Arizona Legislature gave final approval Thursday evening to legislation that allows business owners asserting their religious beliefs to refuse service to gays, drawing backlash from Democrats who called the proposal "state-sanctioned discrimination" and an embarrassment.

Similar "religious protection" legislation has been introduced in Ohio, Mississippi, Idaho, South Dakota, Kansas, Tennessee, and Oklahoma, but Arizona's plan is the only one that has passed. The efforts are stalled in Idaho, Ohio, and Kansas.

Arizona 'freedom of religion' bill angers gay rights supporters

Yeah, it would seem just the OPPOSITE is happening; not only do churches not have to perform gay weddings, religious people don't even have to serve gays in their businesses or even sell things to them.

What have I been saying on this forum since I arrived? I said that Christians will NOT stop with merely banning gay marriage. They're going to do everything they can to make being homosexual a crime. Even if it means using religion to encourage bigotry, discrimination, and hatred throughout the land using the force of law.

I just find it angering that Christians whine and moan about being persecuted - but here is an example of REAL persecution, ladies and gentlemen, which means I am going to positively SLAM the next Christian who moans about being persecuted. Even at the risk of getting myself banned, if needs be. Because I'm sick of it.

And it's not just stopping with Arizona. As you can see from the story, lots of states are proposing the same kinds of bills. You see, the thing is, no one has to PROVE they are religious when they haul some poor gay person out of their store. They just have to be a bigot, and they can just "claim" they're doing it because of their religion even though they're just doing it because they don't like gays. At least the blue states are smart enough not to pass it, but we'll see about the stalled red states in the midwest.

Why do we need laws like this? In a nation that lauds and champions freedom and screams it from the rooftops, why do we have laws like this that are inherently UNfree? The Democrats are right - this IS an embarrassment because the world is watching.

Just as a fair warning to Christians, anyone who comes to this thread and tries to defend this law? Heh heh, well, I really hope you're girded well with the armor of righteousness because you'll need every last atom of it. Trust me.
Why should I be forced to violate my religion to please an anti-religion bigot? Please don't compare this to racial rights. The Bible specifically condemns homosexual behavior. It doesn't say that the mere act of "being black" is wrong. If you disagree, I'm sure there are plenty of "pastors" willing to marry you.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
And people wonder why church attendance is dropping every year.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why should I be forced to violate my religion to please an anti-religion bigot? Please don't compare this to racial rights. The Bible specifically condemns homosexual behavior. It doesn't say that the mere act of "being black" is wrong.
What does your Bible say about divorce?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
What does your Bible say about divorce?
Jesus said it's wrong -- except in the case of infidelity. The apostle Paul also gave an exception in the event of desertion. I personally will not marry someone that has married and divorced for another reason.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Why should I be forced to violate my religion to please an anti-religion bigot? Please don't compare this to racial rights. The Bible specifically condemns homosexual behavior. It doesn't say that the mere act of "being black" is wrong. If you disagree, I'm sure there are plenty of "pastors" willing to marry you.
And your religion specifically says that you can't interact with a homosexual in any capacity?

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-21-2014 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: personal and attacking

Old 02-21-2014, 04:25 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Jesus said it's wrong -- except in the case of infidelity. The apostle Paul also gave an exception in the event of desertion. I personally will not marry someone that has married and divorced for another reason.
My guess is that most pastors don't ask new church members if they have ever been divorced, and if so, why. As long as something goes in the collection plate, all are welcome.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Shirina already typed that she doesn't think churches should be forced to marry homosexuals (bottom of the first page). Now, what's your opinion about other businesses legally denying homosexuals service on the basis of their religious belief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality