Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 29,734 times

Advertisements

I am suprized to find how many people actually think faith is something good and worth praise. Those people would probably argue that faith gives meaning to life and/or makes us love one another. To prove the negativity of faith we must look at what faith really is. I presume most people agree that delusion is bad, altough people of faith claim their not delusional. I would argue that faith is the same as delusion, now why is that?

Delusion= Belief in something in spite of given lack of/opposing proof.

Substitute delusion with faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,663,218 times
Faith has given me hope in a world that many times makes no sense. The world is meaningless without faith to me. This is all a crap shoot and that makes less sense to me. The more I read and study the more it makes sense. Faith keeps my feet on the gound. Faith gives me a hope and a future with a loving God.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Explain how the world, or our universe for that matter, makes more sense with an allpowerfull and allknowing god, if that is what you believe. And I am rather curious as to how faith(belief in something for which there is no evidence) gives anyone a future with a "loving god". You have already made the assumption that your god exists. Why is that?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,335,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmof View Post

people of faith claim their not delusional. I would argue that faith is the same as delusion, now why is that?

Delusion= Belief in something in spite of given lack of/opposing proof.

Substitute delusion with faith.

It's one thing to try and construct an arguement to invalidate faith, but using delusion to do so isn't accurate. A delusion exists outside the norm. It is more than a mere distortion; it is a reality entered into that impacts both thought and mood. But part of the basis for determining that which is a delusion is the fact that it cannot be accounted for by the individual's religious background.

We all, on some level, operate on a level of "faith" at some point in our lives. If one is to define "faith" in the religious sense as being delusional, then the same would apply to anything that we, as humans, would have faith in. We aren't all delusional. Faith in God is not delusional. I may not understand how and why believers believe, but I do understand that they are not delusional.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 AM

Every religion is outside the norm and it does impact thought and mood, in some cases very heavily. It causes people to view the world and the universe in a irrational manner, and act immorally. But even if every person on this planet suffered from the same delusion, it would not make it true.

There are two obvious reasons people believe. First, how they were raised, and second, lack of knowledge. The problem is that people of faith will not accept knowledge unless it fits their views due to a fixed, in many cases indoctrinatet, belief.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,850,872 times
I have much faith in God , I really believe in him but I couldn't understand many things in life . Destiny and fate are my big problems , I really want to know do we control our lives and choose the way we like it or it is just destiny and will of god .

Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaliza View Post
I have much faith in God , I really believe in him but I couldn't understand many things in life . Destiny and fate are my big problems , I really want to know do we control our lives and choose the way we like it or it is just destiny and will of god .
In what kind of god do you have faith, and why? Surely you do not believe in god as the bible describes him, if you did you would not believe in free will.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:16 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,850,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmof View Post
In what kind of god do you have faith, and why? Surely you do not believe in god as the bible describes him, if you did you would not believe in free will.
WHY ? If anyone wants to understand his life that means he doesn't believe in God !!!
So why God creates our brain if we don't use it . Humun beings are the only creatures who know that they will die one day . I think that means something ...

Last edited by Mona Mee; 10-04-2008 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,699,577 times
Quote:
WHY ? If anyone wants to understand his life that means he doesn't believe in God !!!
So why God creates our brain if we don't use it . Humun beings are the only creatures who know that they will die one day . I think that means something ...

My dear monalisa, that is not faith, that his knowledge..

Old 10-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
You still haven't answered my question; in what kind of god do you believe in, and why? Faith in the christian god means you have already made up your mind about the understanding of life. And the "knowledge" you get from the bible says god has a plan for everything. He is also allknowing, he knows everything that has happened and everything that will happen, and the bible says that he made that plan, so he has decided in advance what is ever going to happen. That includes every choice anyone/anything will ever make. So if you believe that, you believe that free will doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality