Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Don't mean to have a sinful attitude about this but I've come to detest anything that smacks of Fundamentalist Christianity. Christian fundamentalists are the scum of the earth, I've come to believe with their fright tactics of eternal torment to scare fools into tithing to them to make them wealthy (Hinn, Crouches, Jakes, Dollar, Meyers, Copeland and the rest of that motley crew over at TBN), their prosperity gospel that not giving money to them is robbing God and will send you to hell to burn in flames for eternity(ugh!), that we are almost in the tribulation and the rapture is just around the corner (like it has been for the last 2000 years) and so it is more vital than every that you give more and more money to help them get the word out that Armageddon is almost upon us; and their narrow-minded beliefs that they are God's chosen and that everyone else outside their tight-knit community is going straight to hell to burn for eternity.

So I divorced myself completely and utterly from anything that sniffs of it. I stay away from organized corporate religious institutions; don't read the King James or any later editions of the "inerrant" Bible that is so full of holes it leaks like a trough riddled with buckshot; don't get anywhere near televangelists.

I feel so clean now it's like I took a 10-hour shower with the strongest antibacterial soap on the market.

I embrace Swedenborgism which makes the most sense to me with its universal idealism. Still keep Jesus as my Lord and Savior and that's about all I take out of the Bible. The rest is hash and just grist for endless debates that lead nowhere.

Feels good. Finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Hinn and his kindred are not fundamental Christians, they are fundamental scam artists. The King James does not teach tithing for Christians and neither did Jesus or Paul. The mention of tithing by Jesus was when He was telling a Jewish Pharisee what he should do as a strict Jew. No Christian was ever told to tithe. Paul's collection of offerings was not a tithe but a relief effort for the Christians going through hard times and persecution in Jerusalem.

I am saddened that you have allowed these false teachers to cause you to doubt the truth of God's Word. Swedenbourg was a mystic, not a Christian. Please be careful; Eternity is a long time. Not all will be saved. Universalism is a false teaching.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 AM

258 posts, read 238,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Don't mean to have a sinful attitude about this but I've come to detest anything that smacks of Fundamentalist Christianity. Christian fundamentalists are the scum of the earth, I've come to believe with their fright tactics of eternal torment to scare fools into tithing to them to make them wealthy (Hinn, Crouches, Jakes, Dollar, Meyers, Copeland and the rest of that motley crew over at TBN), their prosperity gospel that not giving money to them is robbing God and will send you to hell to burn in flames for eternity(ugh!), that we are almost in the tribulation and the rapture is just around the corner (like it has been for the last 2000 years) and so it is more vital than every that you give more and more money to help them get the word out that Armageddon is almost upon us; and their narrow-minded beliefs that they are God's chosen and that everyone else outside their tight-knit community is going straight to hell to burn for eternity.

So I divorced myself completely and utterly from anything that sniffs of it. I stay away from organized corporate religious institutions; don't read the King James or any later editions of the "inerrant" Bible that is so full of holes it leaks like a trough riddled with buckshot; don't get anywhere near televangelists.

I feel so clean now it's like I took a 10-hour shower with the strongest antibacterial soap on the market.

I embrace Swedenborgism which makes the most sense to me with its universal idealism. Still keep Jesus as my Lord and Savior and that's about all I take out of the Bible. The rest is hash and just grist for endless debates that lead nowhere.

Feels good. Finally.
So now you have equated Christianity with Televangelism?

Just because people on television proclaim to be Christians doesn't make them actually uphold the principles of Christianity any more than political pundits on talk radio being representative of the basic freedoms in the Bill of Rights.

If you want to talk about people in anything for the money, you've described basically the root of all evil of the world. And the money changers at the heart of it all, should be your concern. Those who can make money out of thin air, backed without any tangible asset.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
This looks a good thread. But should not it be on Christianity? We goddless pondscum are more likely to sit chomping popcorn while the various shades of faithful entertainingly damn one another to perdition.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
You know the irony is that folk will diss the TBN crowd and then go onto say that their way is the right way and that the TBN folk are not real christians™. Really guys, these folk are so successful fleecing the flock b/c xians are so gullible, nothing more nothing less.

What is the message of xianity today? Have you all given up on the impending return of Jesus and the rapture? No? Well then TBN crew and all are just milking this belief FWIW and for as long as the delusion exists.

It simply boils down to, "if you cannot police your own kind, you really have no right to complain" This is what happens when everyone invents their own god in their own image. He is not real, he exists only in your brain. When you die, so does your god.

We pond scum as my colleague states, will be happy to assist you killing this imaginary god sooner, after all we have all the info to assist.

To the OP, sortagod is where you are at right now, it is the last stepping stone out. I fully understand your frustration as I stood on that last stepping stone for a long time. Really your stance is probably the most honest one around.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:

Feels good. Finally.
Congratulations on taking such a bold step.

Unfortunately, you'll find that many of your former 'fellows' will stand against you.

They'll tell you you're wrong. Don't believe them.
They'll tell you you're doomed. Don't accept it.
They'll try to convince you. Don't be convinced.

Stand strong, friend.

Quote:
"Da-- it Morpheus, not everyone believes what you believe!"
"My beliefs do not require them to.
" ―Jason Lock and Morpheus

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:

Feels good. Finally.
OK.....but honestly....not sure I'd call the TBN crowd "fundamentalists". When I think of the term "fundamentalist", it's usually someone that studies the Bible. Those guys pull a quote here and there and twist it to convince Gramma to send in her life's savings.

This is what's frustrating about internet message boards. Those shysters are no more fundamentalists than the pope is Baptist. At least become informed first.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post

It simply boils down to, "if you cannot police your own kind, you really have no right to complain" This is what happens when everyone invents their own god in their own image. He is not real, he exists only in your brain. When you die, so does your god.

When we do attempt to police our own, we get labeled mean and get told we have no right to say who is right and who is wrong. I've seen it time and time again on this board.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
this is your journey with God, not with christianity. I hate being labeled a christian because i gotta make sure i dont get confused with the religous folks you describe.
Either way, you will do only what HE allows. The good this is that you escaped the institutional system. Not many can survive without going to church. Stay strong, and keep fighting the fight. It can become lonely if you desire human companions. but Christ will stick closer than a friend.
Just dont box up every christian to be a tithe begger seed sowing low life.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:

Feels good. Finally.
That is a fundamentalist gameplan in and of itself!

The only difference is you are replacing "the devil" with "fundamentalism"...and you know how fundies feel about the devil!

Instead, seek to rise above the fundamentalist perspective. Learn the why and how about it, seek to understand why it does and/or dosen't work and above all don't fear it!

It will take you to a better place than simple hatred and avoidance, not to mention making you completely immune to fundamentalism itself and a stable grounding to help "save" other people from it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality