Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:10 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,368,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
What makes you think that religion is only in this country. Devout holders of faith are in every country - so does that mean the entire world is headed for disaster? (actually it does, read Revelation)

You need to take a look around and see how limited you position is. Well over half the earth’s population is in china and non believers far outnumber the believers. Europe is also shifting to a less driven religious view on life. In the united states the numbers who don’t accept religion as it is or who just reject it in its intirety have exceeded 30%. The shift in special issues is even wider jumping to 78% on I think in time only the less educated will fall for the propaganda put our by the organized church. It is long overdue. I hope it comes before we have another one of the holy wars religions are so fond of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,203,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Well over half the earth’s population is in china and non believers far outnumber the believers.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but China has 1.3 billion people...that's about a fifth of earth's population, no where near "well over half."

Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but China has 1.3 billion people...that's about a fifth of earth's population, no where near "well over half."
I should have said Asia, which in the last count had in the neighborhood of 61% of the population on the planet. This is in relation to North America having 8%, Europe having 12, and Africa with13%. The rest is split between South America and the Oceania. With education being pushed in Asia I think it will become harder to convince that segment of the world about the creation theory, or much of the Christian belief system. I don’t see the Asians yielding to pressure from Rome either.
The better the education the less likely people are to follow a religious song and dance. The shift in religious percentage is also showing the change. Christians once had 33% of the population, now dropped to 29%, Non religious Atheist, and agnostics included are the fastest growing segment listed at 16% in 2000 and now estimated at 23%. Islam is gaining on Christians and in some reports is listed as now having a larger percentage than the Christian based religions. My data sheets show them at 18%. I fine the data on Catholic membership in the US of interest also. We see a slight drop in the percentage of Catholics which is being buffered by the 12.1 million Hispanics now moving into the US. They are seeing the greatest turn over of members in their history. I think I just read the Popes visit to the White House was in part to ask for open doors on immigration from Latin America. I wonder Why?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I should have said Asia, which in the last count had in the neighborhood of 61% of the population on the planet. This is in relation to North America having 8%, Europe having 12, and Africa with13%. The rest is split between South America and the Oceania. With education being pushed in Asia I think it will become harder to convince that segment of the world about the creation theory, or much of the Christian belief system. I don’t see the Asians yielding to pressure from Rome either.
The better the education the less likely people are to follow a religious song and dance. The shift in religious percentage is also showing the change. Christians once had 33% of the population, now dropped to 29%, Non religious Atheist, and agnostics included are the fastest growing segment listed at 16% in 2000 and now estimated at 23%. Islam is gaining on Christians and in some reports is listed as now having a larger percentage than the Christian based religions. My data sheets show them at 18%. I fine the data on Catholic membership in the US of interest also. We see a slight drop in the percentage of Catholics which is being buffered by the 12.1 million Hispanics now moving into the US. They are seeing the greatest turn over of members in their history. I think I just read the Popes visit to the White House was in part to ask for open doors on immigration from Latin America. I wonder Why?
Non-religious atheist and agnostics up 7% to 23% overall??? Even I am surprised by those numbers.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:30 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,568,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelation777 View Post
i believe that all relogion will lead to destruction, soon..
Pretty close to the truth. As your posting name reflects the name of the book of Revelation... destruction of the heavens and the earth is one of it's primary themes....and that will be because of false teachings and all other ungodlyness. Thank goodness it's main theme is that the Righteous will prevail.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 718 times
No, I see you taking the exact same extreme side of those that pretend to beleive in God and use it as a tool for power or influence or money. You're a fundamentalist, just an athiest version.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but last time I checked, most religious people do actually believe in what they are practicing. If they pretended to believe in a God, then they would not die for their faith.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,174,928 times
I was always dumfounded about religion. I couldn't understand how such ideas could survive, when they are clearly a detriment to humans.
It wasn't until I read an article somewhere on the web, by richard dawkins, about memes. Only then did religion start making sense, when view as a meme.

As much as I'd like to think humans could rise above these primitive ideas, and create a utopia. If you view ideas as a species ( or virus ). The act of its eradication, I believe there is a high probability, that it may, for a lack of better words, evolve and become one of the most prevalent versions of memes ever.
This may be the current form of Islam, or a new denomination of Christianity ( or maybe a return of the old ), but I fear, as much as I feel we need a secular movement to improve the quality of life for everyone. Such a movement could spark off this event.
We should keep a watchful eye, the more religion recedes, we could see evolution of memes, survival of the fittest, bring forward a monster.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 AM

7,898 posts, read 10,336,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I was always dumfounded about religion. I couldn't understand how such ideas could survive, when they are clearly a detriment to humans.
It wasn't until I read an article somewhere on the web, by richard dawkins, about memes. Only then did religion start making sense, when view as a meme.

As much as I'd like to think humans could rise above these primitive ideas, and create a utopia. If you view ideas as a species ( or virus ). The act of its eradication, I believe there is a high probability, that it may, for a lack of better words, evolve and become one of the most prevalent versions of memes ever.
This may be the current form of Islam, or a new denomination of Christianity ( or maybe a return of the old ), but I fear, as much as I feel we need a secular movement to improve the quality of life for everyone. Such a movement could spark off this event.
We should keep a watchful eye, the more religion recedes, we could see evolution of memes, survival of the fittest, bring forward a monster.
religon is not to the detriment of many people , if your poverty stricken and without a hope in the world , without the comfort of appeal to a higher power , what reason have you not to commit suicide

i dont believe in god anymore , i simply cant do it , my life changed in such a way in 1998 that i was forced to reexamine everything about my life and how i thought about things but the reality is i was a much happier person when i was a believer , faith gives you a child like innocence and sense of optimism

ps , religon had nothing to do with the catalyst for change which occured in my life but what did happen eventually led me to athiesm , i had no choice in the matter and i always say that if god didnt want me to be an athiest ( he may exist ) , he would not have allowed that event to occur

Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM

31,264 posts, read 22,255,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
religon is not to the detriment of many people , if your poverty stricken and without a hope in the world , without the comfort of appeal to a higher power , what reason have you not to commit suicide

i dont believe in god anymore , i simply cant do it , my life changed in such a way in 1998 that i was forced to reexamine everything about my life and how i thought about things but the reality is i was a much happier person when i was a believer , faith gives you a child like innocence and sense of optimism

ps , religon had nothing to do with the catalyst for change which occured in my life but what did happen eventually led me to athiesm , i had no choice in the matter and i always say that if god didnt want me to be an athiest ( he may exist ) , he would not have allowed that event to occur
Interesting take on Religion.

Belief in God (or Allah or any other Deity) does give people Hope, Faith and Purpose to life. And like you brought up it can be a crutch to those who otherwise couldn't go on in life. Religion, on the other hand tells people how they must worship their God in order to be saved and there in lies the danger to others.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,174,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

So of instead of looking for a way to improve your situation, praying to the sky is suppose help you how? I think giving up on looking for improvements, and wishing to a sky god instead, is detrimental.

I suggest you read the "happiness advantage", the little things that made you feel happy when you're a theist, you can still get when you're an atheist. You just need to approach it in a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality