Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,827,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I understand this. But can't there be levels of faith? From blind faith to faith in one's conclusions based on observations?

for example, I have "faith" that the biosphere's interactions match up best with "life" over "non-life". I wouldn't call that "life" "god of the christian bible" but I can understand how people misunderstand what is going on around them.
Mo. You are confusing or fiddling definitions again. We have explained how we are using the terms, and here you reveal that you understand and agree with it.

"belief" belief based on verified or credible information, ranging from Known to the strongly suspected as true but unverified (e.g Abiogenesis)

There are unknowns, ranging from the outside explanation. And there are all manner of hypotheses and guesswork. And the corrct answer there is "We don't know - yet". It is never "God" and that has never been a legitimate answer.

But Real faith is when all the evidence is against and STILL they claim they are right and everything we know is wrong compared to the faith -claim. That is Faith is the most extreme kind - firm belief without a scrap of decent evidence and even in despite of it. We call it "Blind" faith.

Those who have it use all manner of deception to prop that Faith up. Misrepresenting the actual evidence
Deprecating the evidence.
Ignoring the evidence and claiming Faith as the greatest good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality