Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,095,394 times

Advertisements

In 1924, George McCready Price said that racial mixing violated God’s intentions and led to rapid degeneration after the Tower of Babel, which produced not only Negroes and Mongolians, but the apes as well, which Price called “degenerate or hybridized men.” So in Price’s view, the Tower of Babel triggered reverse evolution — apes evolved from men.

In 1941, Frank Lewis March said that hybridization was “the principal tool used by Satan in destroying the original perfection and harmony among living things.” As an example, Marsh said that the black skin of “Negroes” was one of many “abnormalities” Satan achieved with hybridization.

And as recently as 1991, Henry Morris wrote:
All of the earth’s ‘colored’ races — yellow, red, brown, and black — essentially the Afro-Asian group of peoples, including the American Indians — are possibly Hamitic in origin and included within the scope of the Canaanitic prophecy, as well as the Egyptians, Sumerians, Hittites, and Phoenicians of antiquity…

Often the Hamites, especially the Negroes, have become actual personal servants or even slaves to the others. Possessed of a genetic character concerned mainly with mundane matters, they have eventually been displaced by the intellectual and philosophical acumen of the Japhethites and the religious zeal of the Semites…

Neither Negroes nor any other Hamitic people were intended to be forcibly subjugated on the basis of this Noahic declaration. The prophecy would be inevitably fulfilled because of the innate natures of the three genetic stocks, not by virtue of any artificial constraints imposed by man.

So, Morris concludes, Negroes have a “genetic character” that limits them to “mundane matters” while the light-skinned races surpass them “intellectually and philosophically” due to their “genetic stock.” Apparently, Morris swallows the whole Bell Curve notion of racial differences in IQ being genetically determined.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 AM

443 posts, read 1,545,187 times
How do YEC explain the existence different races?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,335,628 times
I can honestly say that what I just read is more overtly racist than anything I could possibly have imagined.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,403,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I can honestly say that what I just read is more overtly racist than anything I could possibly have imagined.
Really?
You must not read much History.
Certainly the 1991 date is shocking but old habits die hard, y'know?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times
Well what do you expect from a book that promotes slavery both in the old and new testament and is a fundamental belief for a billion people worldwide?

“When you buy a Hebrew slave, six years shall he serve; and in the seventh shall he go out free, for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master has given him a wife, and she has borne him sons or daughters, the wife and the children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself. And if the slave shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free: then his master shall bring him unto God, and he shall bring him to the door or unto the door-post, and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl, and he shall be his slave forever.”

—Exodus 21:2-6

This particular verse seems to give guidelines for the slaveowner.

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.”

—Ephesians 6:5-6.

Wow, that's a pretty rough statement.

Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it; but if you are able also to become free, rather do that. - 1 Corinthians 7:21

I'd also like to note that on this particular verse, there are many translations, and sometimes they are preached as if 1 Corinthians is telling the slave to run away. However, it's imperative to read the very next verse ( 1 Corinthians 7:22) to realize that "free" is talking about accepting Jesus and not about a slave's own freedom.

For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord's freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ's slave - 1 Corinthians 7:22

So all together now...

Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it; but if you are able also to become free, rather do that.

For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord's freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ's slave
- 1 Corinthians 7:21-22.

I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him - John 13:16

This particular passage seems to remind us that slaves are never better than their masters.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ - Ephesians 6:5

Again this is so nice to think about isn't it?

Oh, and this is one of my favorites.... from the words of Jesus Christ himself

A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.

It is enough for the student to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebub,[a] how much more the members of his household
-Matthew 10:24

So, I suppose that I could wonder why, along with all of the other numerous bible verses that apparently condone slavery why it isn't practiced today? Why are there no advocates for it? People always want to use the New Testament as a moral guideline, but how come you're not buying and trading slaves?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,095,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
People always want to use the New Testament as a moral guideline, but how come you're not buying and trading slaves?
You said it best. Some people use the NT as a guideline. Guidelines aren't mandatory meaning you don't follow everything to the letter.

Just my guess..

Old 10-03-2007, 04:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,255,649 times
...."So, I suppose that I could wonder why, along with all of the other numerous bible verses that apparently condone slavery why it isn't practiced today? Why are there no advocates for it? People always want to use the New Testament as a moral guideline, but how come you're not buying and trading slaves?....."

It would come as no surprise to me if there were a lot of people around that would love to buy a slave. Sometimes it pretends to be marriage. You know, "wives submit yourselves to your husbands."

Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,674,331 times
There is a wide variation of intellectual abilities when you compare the differences between individuals of any race but not when you compare one entire race against another race. People growing up in similar environments will have similar IQ's if you average them out. All of this thinking is very outdated and obviously racist. Stephen Jay Gould pointed out many of those errors in his book The Mismeasure of Man in which he examines many of the techniques that were used in the past in which scientists tried to associate certain physical characteristics with intellect. Even the Nazis were into this sort of thing when they would measure the sizes of skulls from various angles and other anatomical differences in the hope that it would prove that Jews were inferior to the blond haired Germans. It really gets ridiculous when people try to concoct some wild theory using stories from the Bible like the Tower of Babel as bigthirsty describes.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:24 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,453,400 times
what is 'yec'?

Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM

679 posts, read 1,442,824 times
young Earth creationist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality