Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 AM

679 posts, read 1,442,824 times

Advertisements

bigthirsty is showing how wrong it is to do what you're doing Moderator cut: Personal. Objecting to his tactics is understandable, but failing to see that doing it yourself is objectionable too is mind boggling.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-05-2007 at 11:31 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 AM

179 posts, read 334,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
bigthirsty is showing how wrong it is to do what you're doing Moderator cut: Orphaned. Objecting to his tactics is understandable, but failing to see that doing it yourself is objectionable too is mind boggling.
I see your not heeding to the mod warning.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-05-2007 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,095,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
I see your not heeding to the mod warning.
I'll rephrase..

I am showing how wrong it is to do what you're doing. Objecting to my tactics is understandable, but failing to see that doing it yourself is objectionable and mind boggling.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'll rephrase..

I am showing how wrong it is to do what you're doing. Objecting to my tactics is understandable, but failing to see that doing it yourself is objectionable and mind boggling.
I think making blanket statements about any one group based on the quotes of a few is a huge mistake, so I'm glad you said that you don't believe the OP you wrote bigthirsty.

Having said that, if you just started this thread to prove a point and get a reaction from one specific poster rather than debate an opinion, there's a word for that.....trolling.

Not trying to be confrontational and certainly can see where you're coming from, but, like your title says "It is what it is".

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-05-2007 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: 's

Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I think making blanket statements about any one group based on the quotes of a few is a huge mistake, so I'm glad you said that you don't believe the OP you wrote bigthirsty.

Having said that, if you just started this thread to prove a point and get a reaction from one specific poster rather than debate an opinion, there's a word for that.....trolling.

Not trying to be confrontational and certainly can see where you're coming from, but, like your title says "It is what it is".
I'll let gizmo980 decide if I'm trolling but thanks for input I never asked for.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'll let gizmo980 decide if I'm trolling but thanks for input I never asked for.
When you start a thread like this and say just a few posts after your OP that you don't believe you own OP, you did ask for input.

Thanks for understanding the workings on an online forum.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
When you start a thread like this and say just a few posts after your OP that you don't believe you own OP, you did ask for input.

Thanks for understanding the workings on an online forum.
The OP is a question and I included some information in the body of the post. This is in the same fashion as some other posts I have seen recently.

I'm not sure how I can believe a question ("you don't believe your own OP").

I could see your point if I had said "YEC is Racist", but I didn't. Get it?

However, most thanks again for your input that I didn't ask for.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The OP is a question and I included some information in the body of the post. This is in the same fashion as some other posts I have seen recently.

I'm not sure how I can believe a question ("you don't believe your own OP").

I could see your point if I had said "YEC is Racist", but I didn't. Get it?

However, most thanks again for your input that I didn't ask for.
An 'OP' isn't a thread title. There is no question in your OP.

Having said that, I think two pages of posts on each others posting techniques pretty much tells how much of a serious discussion this is.

Since you seem to think I need your request to make an input I'll stay out of this and let the mods decide if 'it is what it is'. For the future, exactly how is someone supposed to know if the thread you post on a public forum is actually meant for the public. That could save us all a lot of time, ya know?

For the record, YEC is not racist.

YEC is simply taking God at His Word.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
An 'OP' isn't a thread title. There is no question in your OP.

Having said that, I think two pages of posts on each others posting techniques pretty much tells how much of a serious discussion this is.

Since you seem to think I need your request to make an input I'll stay out of this and let the mods decide if 'it is what it is'. For the future, exactly how is someone supposed to know if the thread you post on a public forum is actually meant for the public. That could save us all a lot of time, ya know?

For the record, YEC is not racist.

YEC is simply taking God at His Word.
Question in the topic title.. and information in the body of the post. Just like I just said.

2 pages of posting techniques which you've now added to.

I never said you needed my request for your input. Never once. I simply thanked you for input I didn't ask for. Remember, you posted directly to me accusing me of trolling.

At first I couldn't figure out why all this was coming from you until I read your last line. Makes much more sense now.

Its just so weird to me that some posts which claim Evolution as racist and which are obviously trolling threads seemed to garner no accusations from you. Just odd I guess. Really.. really.. odd. I wonder why that is...

Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Question in the topic title.. and information in the body of the post. Just like I just said.

2 pages of posting techniques which you've now added to.

I never said you needed my request for your input. Never once. I simply thanked you for input I didn't ask for. Remember, you posted directly to me accusing me of trolling.

At first I couldn't figure out why all this was coming from you until I read your last line. Makes much more sense now.

Its just so weird to me that some posts which claim Evolution as racist and which are obviously trolling threads seemed to garner no accusations from you. Just odd I guess. Really.. really.. odd. I wonder why that is...
bigthirsty, it's obvious I've offended you and I didn't mean to do that, I sincerely mean that.

I steered clear of the Evolution/Racism thread because while Ikester brings up some interesting points, I think the presentation of those points needs some work. I honestly didn't think anyone was really taking those threads too seriously. You and PhillyChief and Ikester spent more time talking about each other than you did with each other.

All I was trying to point out in my initial post to this thread was that the 'If ya can't beat em, join em' technique isn't usually conducive to legitimate discussions and I think a quick review of this thread proves that out.

Evolution is largely based and credit is usually given to Charles Darwin and there are some questionable statements in 'Origin of the Species' and other Darwin works that lean towards a racist view. Does that make evolution racist? No. Does that make an evolutionist racist? No. Does that make Charles Darwin racist? I don't know.

You are right in that I have contributed to the illegitimacy of this thread.

I'm sorry I offended you. This thread is yours, have at it.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-05-2007 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: quick addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality