Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,187,425 times

Advertisements

New to forum, more or less....

So, am I correct in saying that all the christians or believers, etc disagree with the Archbishop. If so, why do you think he said what he said? Don't you think he would have some good arguments for his decision?

And how can you use the bible to make your point? Wasn't the bible written by men/people and you know how unreliable they can be.

I am not gay but I would think that if being gay was a "choice" rather than "state" or just the way one is.... that if one had a choice one would choose to not live a life style that would be so difficult and full of others telling you that you are wrong.

Adultery is wrong because you made a promise to another and you broke it.

Fornication is consensual sex...so where is the sin. Don't say because the bible says so that's like saying because I said so.

Homosexuality is consensual sex and as long as it's not adultery where is the problem? Well, aside from the same sex issue which isn't your business since you aren't involved.

Live and let live. Do no harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 04:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,289,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Yeah I don't know what that has to do with homosexuality. But thanks for the heads up.. In the final days I'll stop:

loving myself, coveting things, being proud of myself

on the other hand I'll win points for being thankful, holy, having natural affection (People just like me doggone it), a truce maker, a non-false accuser, and low minded..

Me - 1
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Basically, you were bringing out the point that fornication and adultery were acts, and homosexuality was a state, giving the impression that because of this there was nothing sinful about it. I was trying to bring out the point that not everything has to be "an act" to be sinful: sometimes it is a state. Take it for what it's worth to you.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,724,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, has said that homosexuality is not a "disease" on the eve of a crucial decision that could split the Anglican Church worldwide.

Dr Williams's support for gays will fuel anger among conservative Church members who will see his message of support as direct challenge to their deeply held view that homosexuality is a sin.

In his address to a key -gathering of 159 American bishops in New Orleans, the Archbishop insisted: "I do not assume that homosexual inclination is a disease."

Warning that "violence against gay and lesbian people is inexcusable," he added: "Gay and lesbian people have a place in the Church as do all the baptised."

Dr Williams flew to America in a last-minute round of shuttle diplomacy to reconcile the warring camps.

Homosexuality not a 'disease', says Archbishop - Telegraph
how strange, you omitted my post sooooooo ----
i would have thought you would have picked a better pr rep than a catholic bishop to toot advocacy for sexual behaviors.
that is like me picking OJ to give lecture tours on domestic violence.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,095,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Basically, you were bringing out the point that fornication and adultery were acts, and homosexuality was a state, giving the impression that because of this there was nothing sinful about it. I was trying to bring out the point that not everything has to be "an act" to be sinful: sometimes it is a state. Take it for what it's worth to you.
Not a problem.

I just don't associate something like "unthankful" as being on the same level of homosexual. Like comparing somebody being "unthankful" to them being a "heterosexual". Doesn't jive with me.

Then again.. I don't believe the Bible says homosexuality is bad.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:22 PM

740 posts, read 2,018,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Not a problem.

I just don't associate something like "unthankful" as being on the same level of homosexual. Like comparing somebody being "unthankful" to them being a "heterosexual". Doesn't jive with me.

Then again.. I don't believe the Bible says homosexuality is bad.

Just like to know what your interpretation is of the passages in Gen that deals with Sodom and Gomorrah? And for that matter, your views on fornication... a sin? or not. Are you a universalist? (everyone is going to heaven) If not, what sins do you hold to be the deal breaker? Do you believe in the bible and the God of the bible? Just curious

Old 10-01-2007, 05:43 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,095,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Just like to know what your interpretation is of the passages in Gen that deals with Sodom and Gomorrah? And for that matter, your views on fornication... a sin? or not. Are you a universalist? (everyone is going to heaven) If not, what sins do you hold to be the deal breaker? Do you believe in the bible and the God of the bible? Just curious
I've replied to you before in another post concerning this matter:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...hristians.html

Sure fornication is a sin. No.. I'm not a universalist.. but people like June7th get a pass in my book. :-)

I'd say if ya shoot someone in the ear.. that'd probably be a deal breaker.

I believe in the bible but don't take it literally. I believe in a kind loving God.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,955,092 times
This is my last post -- Moderator cut: Insulting there was one post after mine that I won't even bother responding to with its whole reversal on me stuff. That alone really made my point!

However, to the person who suggested that I don't know Jesus and his message, etc. Ummm...I was a minister's child and I was in Seminary for a time to become an Episcopal Priest. That's another reason I won't argue. I know way more than most evengelicals think they know about scripture and the history of the church, christianity, and judaism. Not to mention my studies in world religion, etc.

It's been a long time since I posted to a religious discussion online, especially one of this subject, and now I remember why I don't do it. It is pointless and a waste of my time. By the way, my father is an evengelical and we have some great conversations/arguments.

I'm going to go make out with a guy now and thank GOD for the wonderfulness of finding love in a world that is so difficult to live in!

Peace be with you and may the light of our Lord's love and wisdom shine down on us all.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-02-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
This is my last post -- Moderator cut: Insulting there was one post after mine that I won't even bother responding to with its whole reversal on me stuff. That alone really made my point!

However, to the person who suggested that I don't know Jesus and his message, etc. Ummm...I was a minister's child and I was in Seminary for a time to become an Episcopal Priest. That's another reason I won't argue. I know way more than most evengelicals think they know about scripture and the history of the church, christianity, and judaism. Not to mention my studies in world religion, etc.

It's been a long time since I posted to a religious discussion online, especially one of this subject, and now I remember why I don't do it. It is pointless and a waste of my time. By the way, my father is an evengelical and we have some great conversations/arguments.

I'm going to go make out with a guy now and thank GOD for the wonderfulness of finding love in a world that is so difficult to live in!

Peace be with you and may the light of our Lord's love and wisdom shine down on us all.
Proof positive there's a difference in 'knowing about' Jesus' message and 'knowing' Jesus' message.

Enjoy your guy....

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-02-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 AM

740 posts, read 2,018,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post

I would venture to guess, since you don't share your father's views on the bible, you went in search of something else (those who look for something to uphold their views will surely find it) . Like many gays, they want to distort/change the message so they don't feel convicted by it..there is a passage in the bible about wanting pastors to tickle your ears.?.? And about changing the message of the truth to say what you want it to say. It is called false teaching.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-02-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,955,092 times
Default I know..I said my last post, but this is off subject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
I would venture to guess, since you don't share your father's views on the bible, you went in search of something else (those who look for something to uphold their views will surely find it) . Like many gays, they want to distort/change the message so they don't feel convicted by it..there is a passage in the bible about wanting pastors to tickle your ears.?.? And about changing the message of the truth to say what you want it to say. It is called false teaching.
You can say all you want that I'm finding my own message in the bible, but that is not a point of argument. For thousands of years (I'm including Judaism here since Christianity is a branch of Judaism) scholars and laymen alike have interpreted the bible in their own way. This is how we have so many Abrahamic religions. In fact, someone of the Jewish faith would tell you that YOU have false teachings by believing Jesus to be the Messiah. A Catholic will tell a Baptist will tell a Methodist, etc. that they have false teachings. How do you know which one is right? If you beleive that the scriptures are inerrent, which interpretation of inerrency do you follow? Why? Who told you that? Is it your feeling? Mormons feel very strongly that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. Are they wrong? How about the Christians that use scripture to justify beating their wife or children? How about what the Old Testament says about women during menses? Also, if we are speaking of false prophets, why is the New Testament so Hellenistic? It's funny that your true interpretations of scripture pull so much from the pagan relegion of the region a majority of it was written in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality