Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 02:24 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,694,034 times

Advertisements

Interesting comments from the Archbiship.

Quote:
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, dismissed the Christmas story of the Three Wise Men yesterday as nothing but "legend."

There was scant evidence for the Magi, and none at all that there were three of them, or that they were kings, he said. All the evidence that existed was in Matthew’s Gospel.

more:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317550,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:28 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,928,888 times
This is the same 'Archbishop' that questions God's existence, right?

Can't say I'm surprised. Many people don't believe the bible, that doesn't make it unbelievable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html

Old 12-20-2007, 03:03 PM

4,685 posts, read 8,481,946 times
1 Corinthians 13.11
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
1 Corinthians 13.11
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
Yep.

You believe like Paul now, ParkTwain?

Praise God!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,636,114 times
Well, not to suport the Archbishop, on the legend part of this article, but there actually isn't a mention of a number of the Wisemen, nor were they kings. At least, not as I just re-read it, in Matthew. I'd always heard that the number came from the number of gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Did I miss something, or is the story different somewhere else?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,511,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, not to suport the Archbishop, on the legend part of this article, but there actually isn't a mention of a number of the Wisemen, nor were they kings. At least, not as I just re-read it, in Matthew. I'd always heard that the number came from the number of gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Did I miss something, or is the story different somewhere else?
That portion of what he said is not problematic. If we also look closely, it says that the wise men came to the house, not the stable. Most people believe that they arrived when Jesus was over a year old.

The problem I have with his statements is that he disregards the virgin birth which is crucial to the Messianic prophecies being fulfilled.

The other thing that gets me is his comment about the star not hovering over the stable because "stars just don't behave like that." Well, duh! If it was a normal star, behaving like a star "should" behave, would anyone have taken notice? What would have been miraculous about that? By definition, a miracle is "an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause." People want to explain away miracles as "scientifically impossible". If they were scientifically possible, they wouldn't be miracles. I think his comments portray a sad lack of faith for someone with his title and position.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 PM

4,685 posts, read 8,481,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yep.

You believe like Paul now, ParkTwain?

Praise God!

You think the wisdom behind that verse pertains only to believers? Think again.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You think the wisdom behind that verse pertains only to believers? Think again.
So you're saying you're gonna pick and choose what to apply to your life that Paul wrote!!

How dare you!! Isn't that what you accuse belivers of!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality