Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,604,123 times

Advertisements

How come Christians have this asinine claim for moral certainty (if not superiority) yet Christian moral relativism would put any practicing lawyer to shame. OK, I'll give you a "credit", it's outright scary or impossible (without being locked up) to practice Old and New Testaments with all that "profundity" hiding there. But even when one could make an earnest attempt to live according to the Holy Book, you don't do it. For example, Christians crowd is absolutely and totally obsessed with Sex, gay sex in particular. Never mind that Sex is something like sports in the Most Christian Nation on Earth (USA, naturally). People start doing it very early and they do it a LOT. Most of those sex crazed people are self-declared Christians . Yet, both Old & New Testaments put Sex (EXCEPT gay Sex) on the forefront of battle with Evil. It would be strange for the ancient sheep herders to obsess with gays when they had much more pressing needs - to ensure passing of their genes. Thus, multitude of the ancient sex laws and regulations protecting the rights of owners of woman' womb. Apparently, DNA testing took care of that so promiscuous heterosexual Christian America could concentrate on the evil of gay sex (barely & indirectly mentioned in the Bible). It's always more fun to fight evil you don't find attractive

Take usury, as another example, there are multiple direct (no parable crutch here) references prohibiting charging interest (usury references outnumber gay references like 1 to 50). BTW, Catholic Church followed the Word of the Bible regarding usury until it saw the light of Reformation. Now usury is the foundation of the Most Christian Nation on Earth (it's been long way, huh?).

So, tell me, how should we take your self-righteousness seriously? Do you toss a coin or something when you pick what verse to follow? Or, let's face it, Bible doesn't change your less than Holy urges (thanks God) it just gives you an illusion of invisible friend wanting you to have things (including stellar mutual fun portfolio) that you want to have. It's one thing when I want to earn 10% on my investments, it's quite another thing if I fulfill God's plan by earning 10% on my investments. Virtually every parable & Bible verse that imposes limitations on human selfishness and greed is not taken literally. That's quite a hermeneutic you have going over there in Jesus land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,626,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
How come Christians...
Is it your intention to have a discussion or are you simply "unloading?"

Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Is it your intention to have a discussion or are you simply "unloading?"
Do you have something to say on the matter of Christian Relativism? I'm not picky about the style and grammar.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
How come Christians have this asinine claim for moral certainty (if not superiority) yet Christian moral relativism would put any practicing lawyer to shame. OK, I'll give you a "credit", it's outright scary or impossible (without being locked up) to practice Old and New Testaments with all that "profundity" hiding there. But even when one could make an earnest attempt to live according to the Holy Book, you don't do it. For example, Christians crowd is absolutely and totally obsessed with Sex, gay sex in particular. Never mind that Sex is something like sports in the Most Christian Nation on Earth (USA, naturally). People start doing it very early and they do it a LOT. Most of those sex crazed people are self-declared Christians . Yet, both Old & New Testaments put Sex (EXCEPT gay Sex) on the forefront of battle with Evil. It would be strange for the ancient sheep herders to obsess with gays when they had much more pressing needs - to ensure passing of their genes. Thus, multitude of the ancient sex laws and regulations protecting the rights of owners of woman' womb. Apparently, DNA testing took care of that so promiscuous heterosexual Christian America could concentrate on the evil of gay sex (barely & indirectly mentioned in the Bible). It's always more fun to fight evil you don't find attractive

Take usury, as another example, there are multiple direct (no parable crutch here) references prohibiting charging interest (usury references outnumber gay references like 1 to 50). BTW, Catholic Church followed the Word of the Bible regarding usury until it saw the light of Reformation. Now usury is the foundation of the Most Christian Nation on Earth (it's been long way, huh?).

So, tell me, how should we take your self-righteousness seriously? Do you toss a coin or something when you pick what verse to follow? Or, let's face it, Bible doesn't change your less than Holy urges (thanks God) it just gives you an illusion of invisible friend wanting you to have things (including stellar mutual fun portfolio) that you want to have. It's one thing when I want to earn 10% on my investments, it's quite another thing if I fulfill God's plan by earning 10% on my investments. Virtually every parable & Bible verse that imposes limitations on human selfishness and greed is not taken literally. That's quite a hermeneutic you have going over there in Jesus land.

What does any of this have to do with Dave Ramsey specifically since you mentioned him specifically?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What does any of this have to do with Dave Ramsey specifically since you mentioned him specifically?
The Prince of Frugality and Investments openly declares himself a Christian. Christians and Christian Investments, Christians and Christian Interest, Christians and Christian Usury, Christians and Christian Moral Relativism. I would mention Bernanke & top bankers etc., but they are somewhat secretive about themselves and their faith. Dave Ramsey is most widely known public preacher of the good investment strategies, many Christian callers share Dave's enthusiasm for investing and collecting rewards. Do you follow?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,229,765 times
Last time I checked, greed was still one of the seven deadly sins. Maybe they should up it to eight by adding hypocracy.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:09 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,626,008 times
Quote:
Do you have something to say on the matter of Christian Relativism? I'm not picky about the style and grammar.
I have a response to the OP. However, I prefer not to waste my time responding if the originator of the OP is uninterested in having a back and forth discourse.

The "usury" charge is vague. The "Christian Relativism" charge appears to be a simple and purposeful mischaracterization.

Specifically, where or how does Ramsey or the Bible encourage usury?

If Christianity posits an objective and Transcendent moral code, how can there logically be any such thing as "Christian Relativism?"

Old 02-06-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
The Prince of Frugality and Investments openly declares himself a Christian. Christians and Christian Investments, Christians and Christian Interest, Christians and Christian Usury, Christians and Christian Moral Relativism. I would mention Bernanke & top bankers etc., but they are somewhat secretive about themselves and their faith. Dave Ramsey is most widely known public preacher of the good investment strategies, many Christian callers share Dave's enthusiasm for investing and collecting rewards. Do you follow?

Unless I am being completely dense here I still don't understand how you can say that Dave Ramsey promotes ursury since he promotes becoming debt free and NOT borrowing money nor does he loan money and charge interest.

In answer to your last question, what I follow is honestly none of your concern unless of course you are my spouse, my Mother or have some sort of impact on my real life not just this part of my computer life which really has no impact at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Unless I am being completely dense here I still don't understand how you can say that Dave Ramsey promotes ursury since he promotes becoming debt free and NOT borrowing money nor does he loan money and charge interest.
Dave Ramsey preaches on becoming debt free so one could invest money saved (on interest payments) into usury bearing financial instruments. It's about the same as abolitionists preaching slaves to get free in order to get their own slaves. Hint: Bankers and Money changers are debt free.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Dave Ramsey preaches on becoming debt free so one could invest money saved (on interest payments) into usury bearing financial instruments. It's about the same as abolitionists preaching slaves to get free in order to get their own slaves. Hint: Bankers and Money changers are debt free.

That makes even less sense than your previous post.

Besides what is the problem with being debt free and investing to earn interest to be better able to give money to help others?

Hint: ALL Bankers and money changers are NOT debt free, check the news and you will find many from the banking and financial industry who have lost their homes to foreclosure.

Also, I'm fairly certain that free slaves would not pursue purchasing their own slaves unless it was in order to free them as well....simply my opinion though, I have no real knowledge of slavery or owning other humans since that era was well before my 51 years of chronological age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality