Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what you all think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
I can only speak for myself.

I'm Pagan, my DH is Methodist, three of our children are Catholic, one is an atheist and our youngest is still searching for her own path.

For me, being open minded is being able to accept the fact that everyone has a right to believe as they choose. You would think that my family would be at odds with the diverse religious beliefs we have. Not at all. It works because we have mutual respect and the realization that people are different. Religion isn't one size fits all.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times
Being open-minded means that you are open to fairly considering evidence that might challenge your beliefs. The hallmark of an open-minded person is that they actively seek out opinions, perspectives, arguments and evidence that differs from their own.

A close-minded person avoids exposing themselves to anything that might challenge their beliefs and mindset. They design their life so as to surround themselves with people and media that support their beliefs to reduce any chance of encountering anything or anyone that is not consistent with their worldview.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Tough question!

I would suppose using tools to answer questions the tools don't fit.

As in replying "where's the proof!?" (misunderstanding "Faith") for religious matters, and "God did it.." as an answer for science matters.

Both paths lead towards misinterpreting each discipline, and ultimately misrepresenting it.

Understand the distinction between science (world of hard evidence, reproducible) and religion (world of faith) and you'll be fine.

So close mindedness comes from ignorance of the niche each fill - is my guess anyway.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Succinctly, looking at all the arguments for and against and evaluating them on their merits rather than on how much you like them. Not easy to do as we are creatures of bias and self - justification, but it is very necessary for valid reasoning and arriving at correct conclusions.

For me the truth is important. It is important to me that what I believe is based on the best evidence. I would rather know an uncomfortable truth that believe a comfortable lie.

And there is nothing better to explain Open - mindedness than this excellent You - tube.

Open-mindedness - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Open Minded: I believe what I believe, but I also know there are other people who do NOT believe what I believe, and that is OK. I could be wrong, who knows.

Closed Minded: I believe what I believe, and anyone else who doesn't is damned to burn in hell, or simply an idiot.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Being open-minded means that you are open to fairly considering evidence that might challenge your beliefs. The hallmark of an open-minded person is that they actively seek out opinions, perspectives, arguments and evidence that differs from their own.

A close-minded person avoids exposing themselves to anything that might challenge their beliefs and mindset. They design their life so as to surround themselves with people and media that support their beliefs to reduce any chance of encountering anything or anyone that is not consistent with their worldview.
I concur with brother Hueff.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
open-mindedness = agreeable
closed-mindedness = disagreeable

Basically that's what it boils down to.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Open mindedness is the ability to accept other people have a view different from your own and you respect their right to do so without judgement.

Nearly all of us seem to have the attitude that open-mind means you agree with me and close minded means you disagree with me. But,I will let you have your close minded views no matter how wrong they are.

That is an attitude we all need to break free from, if we are going to become open minded. And that is my close minded opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality