Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:21 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,709,584 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: edit The more I read I become convinced that Christians are very close minded although I have to say that this doesn't seem to apply to Christian Scientist. Please discuss!

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-29-2010 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Leave the mod out of it/Calling out a mod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 07:24 PM

621 posts, read 1,211,820 times
I'm a Christian and hardly consider myself close-minded. If I am close-minded about anything at all, it would have to be abortion.

But how/why/in what way do you think Christians are close-minded?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,228,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Moderator cut: edited] The more I read I become convinced that Christians are very close minded although I have to say that this doesn't seem to apply to Christian Scientist. Please discuss!
It depends on what you mean by closed-minded, if you mean we have a faith in something and we don't change our mind about the faith, then yes.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-28-2010 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 PM

783 posts, read 1,327,835 times
Quote:
...I have to say that this doesn't seem to apply to Christian Scientist. Please discuss!
Could you please help me understand what, or who you mean – or define “Christian Scientists”?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,562,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
I'm a Christian and hardly consider myself close-minded. If I am close-minded about anything at all, it would have to be abortion.

But how/why/in what way do you think Christians are close-minded?

Your aversion to having an abortion is not closed minded, but a conviction you have based on what is likely many factors, from the love of children, to your religion.

The close minded aspect is most likely in your refusal to really question your beliefs, that you likely defend with a great deal of vigor. Have you ever just stepped back and look at how utterly nonsensical, deities, angels, devils, hell, heaven, etc. etc. is based on what. A convoluted collection of events, fables, urban legends in a book written when man believed the earth was flat?

Those that no matter what happens, good or bad, lump it all under "god dunit" or 'gods will'. When a little fish in the ocean is eaten by a bigger fish, is that also one of 'gods will' things? You stub your toe on your way to bed tonight, 'god dunit'?

Would you even entertain the concept that those that say god is a myth just might be right, simply you cannot muster anything to supply even any evidence they are wrong, save for the above mentioned multi-thousand year old book, which by the way has been re-written and translated to the point the likely hood of it remotely following the original is suspect.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Could you please help me understand what, or who you mean – or define “Christian Scientists”?
The religion started by Mary Baker Eddy. My grandmother practices that religion and I was raised as one although I don't identify as one I'm still impressed.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,230,559 times
Quote:
Hmmm....when I see people holding signs that say "hate ******s" or protesting abortions centers with horrible signs I feel like they are close minded. When I see Christians saying they need to only associate with other Christians I feel like that is close minded. When I see Christians violently opposing gay marriage I feel like that is close minded. When I see Christians preaching so much hate I feel like that is close minded and hate. Maybe I need to expand my original title to close minded and hate. Yes why do Christians preach close mindedness and hate.
Don't forget hypocrits. After all, the best place to find one is in church.

And NO, I am not saying that all christians are like that but I have run across a whole bunch.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Oh, totally, not only closed minded but in many cases obsessive and completely wrong theologically.

I think those traits have little to do with Christianity because those same people if they were born in the middle east would be radical Islamic beheading gays and beating women who show an ankle.
It does seem like most if not all religions subjugate women and that is very upsetting. That is not limited to Christians by any means. Now because other religions do this I don't think that means it is ok for Christians to treat women in such a manner though.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,194,916 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: edit The more I read I become convinced that Christians are very close minded although I have to say that this doesn't seem to apply to Christian Scientist. Please discuss!

I have already learned very quickly Miss Blue is rather close minded!
How on earth can you say that people that belong to the Christian science church are not close minded, when they regularly refuse medical treatment in favor of "spiritual healing"? This issue is most controversial regarding children. In a number of nationally publicized cases in the early 1990s, prosecutors charged parents belonging to the Christian Science church with murder or manslaughter after their children died of likely curable ailments without being medically treated.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 PM

701 posts, read 801,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

The close minded aspect is most likely in your refusal to really question your beliefs, that you likely defend with a great deal of vigor. Have you ever just stepped back and look at how utterly nonsensical, deities, angels, devils, hell, heaven, etc. etc. is based on what. A convoluted collection of events, fables, urban legends in a book written when man believed the earth was flat?

Those that no matter what happens, good or bad, lump it all under "god dunit" or 'gods will'. When a little fish in the ocean is eaten by a bigger fish, is that also one of 'gods will' things? You stub your toe on your way to bed tonight, 'god dunit'?

Would you even entertain the concept that those that say god is a myth just might be right, simply you cannot muster anything to supply even any evidence they are wrong, save for the above mentioned multi-thousand year old book, which by the way has been re-written and translated to the point the likely hood of it remotely following the original is suspect.
So, how much have you truly opened up your mind to the possibility of God? Close mindedness is not strictly the domain of the religious. I am a Christian and have a very open mind, just not one that loses his faith at the drop of a hat.

Quote:
Hmmm....when I see people holding signs that say "hate ******s" or protesting abortions centers with horrible signs I feel like they are close minded. When I see Christians saying they need to only associate with other Christians I feel like that is close minded. When I see Christians violently opposing gay marriage I feel like that is close minded. When I see Christians preaching so much hate I feel like that is close minded and hate. Maybe I need to expand my original title to close minded and hate. Yes why do Christians preach close mindedness and hate.
Rude and hateful is rude and hateful regardless of the motivations behind it. Chances are, that if those people were not Christians, they would simply be elsewhere being just as rude but for another cause. Some of the problem though does arise when people are looked at as hate-mongers and closed minded simply for being opposed to something. I'm opposed to gay marriage, not because I have a closed mind, but because I have opened up my mind to a belief in God, and because of that belief I have decided that it is something that I can not support or condone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality