Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 PM

255 posts, read 609,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The reason I've posted this is to point out that all religions start off as "Cults". There are good cults and bad cults. I see a "Cult" as a small religion.

I'm really not sure this is true. Do you have any evidence to support it?

Most of your original questions have nothing to do with size.

Last edited by Hoosier; 08-25-2007 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:26 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,287,175 times
Default Just some thoughts...

"cult" is one of those words which has become very inflammatory. In my mind, the earmark of a cult lies in the mindset. IMO, how much control does the cult try to exert over its members?

However, when discussing whether a particular religion or denomination is a cult or not, maybe the more important question is not whether the group can be lumped under the word "cult" or whether the particular group teaches error as defined biblically or not.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 PM

264 posts, read 695,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
The reason I've posted this is to point out that all religions start off as "Cults". There are good cults and bad cults. I see a "Cult" as a small religion. I get offended when people dismiss the LDS religion as a "Cult" meaning something bad.
To a sociologist, the word "cult" refers to any religion that's new in a society. But for the average Joe, it invariably has sinister connotations.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,878,427 times
Merriam Webster defines "cult" as the following (never use wikipedia as a source FYI, anyone can be a wikipedia editor):

Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

So where do these mysterious 15 questions come from? And how do they relate to the formal definition of cult? And do you have a scale as to "cultishness"? 1 - 5: mildly cultish; 5-10: moderately cultish, get out now; 10 - 15: David Koreshish, it's too late for you

Just wonderin.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,563,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
And do you have a scale as to "cultishness"? 1 - 5: mildly cultish; 5-10: moderately cultish, get out now; 10 - 15: David Koreshish, it's too late for you

Just wonderin.
(Redbird raises hand from back of the room) x-Blue Oyster Cult follower here.

Confession: I was YOUNG!! I wanted to be accepted by my peers! It was the alcohol and the drugs!! They made us grow our hair long and wear funny shoes! Instead of a comet, we had to smoke out of a bong!!!! I am soo ashaAAMED!! waahaahaaa.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:56 PM

258 posts, read 790,979 times
Default do I belong to a cult... hmm, lets see...

Do you belong to a cult. Answer each question to get you score....truthfully now, baby Jesus is watching you!! (Jesus is not a baby, he's a king)

Do you belong to an organisation that.

Has lots of meetings? Yep, and imhp churches should

Keeps you so busy? Yep, like preaching the good news, like any Christian should be doing.

Has an infallible leader? Yep, God is pretty infallable

Expects purity? Bible says we must be holy as God is holy so, yep again.

Has rigid principles? I think God is pretty cut and dry about His requirements, yep again.

Expects confessions? Only in prayer

Speaks a cliché-ridden language? Any religion would sound so to an nonchristian

Has simple answers to most of life's questions? Nothing is simple about life but when one understands the big issues it's simple

Makes you feel secure? Heaven forbid!

Makes you feel more special than non-members? No

Frowns on expressions of doubts? Not frowns, just helps with Biblical counsel. Faith must be sure.

Claims absolute truth? If we didn't believe the Bible was absolute truth we wouldn't follow it.

Is reluctant to allow you to leave? What church who loves it's members wants them to leave?

Controls information about its own history? History always bears itself out.

Always says you are free to choose? If God gave free will to man, who is man to say anyone is NOt free to choose?

How did you score out of 15? Guess I'm in a cult

Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,537,600 times
Tennesseedreamin......About your above post....Priceless

Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
Do you belong to a cult. Answer each question to get you score....truthfully now, baby Jesus is watching you!! (Jesus is not a baby, he's a king)

Do you belong to an organisation that.

Has lots of meetings? Yep, and imhp churches should

Keeps you so busy? Yep, like preaching the good news, like any Christian should be doing.

Has an infallible leader? Yep, God is pretty infallable

Expects purity? Bible says we must be holy as God is holy so, yep again.

Has rigid principles? I think God is pretty cut and dry about His requirements, yep again.

Expects confessions? Only in prayer

Speaks a cliché-ridden language? Any religion would sound so to an nonchristian

Has simple answers to most of life's questions? Nothing is simple about life but when one understands the big issues it's simple

Makes you feel secure? Heaven forbid!

Makes you feel more special than non-members? No

Frowns on expressions of doubts? Not frowns, just helps with Biblical counsel. Faith must be sure.

Claims absolute truth? If we didn't believe the Bible was absolute truth we wouldn't follow it.

Is reluctant to allow you to leave? What church who loves it's members wants them to leave?

Controls information about its own history? History always bears itself out.

Always says you are free to choose? If God gave free will to man, who is man to say anyone is NOt free to choose?

How did you score out of 15? Guess I'm in a cult
I second Blue...simply PRICELESS!!!!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:49 PM

122 posts, read 385,527 times
Christianity, Islam, and many other religions started out as cults.

Good answer Tennessee.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM

198 posts, read 910,995 times
My mom is in one: She is a Jehovah's Witness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality