Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:53 AM

901 posts, read 2,389,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I don't believe in getting blood transfusion, donating an organ not even after the person dies. I believe it's a sin to give away parts of your body. If there is a God it's obvious he gave people all of the organs they need and that when one of them starts failing and there is no way to fix the problem, your time is up and it's God's plan so just let it happen. I am not against using machines to help people stay alive or prosthesis.
At first examination, I would say you relate more to Jehovah's Witnesses than anything else. But.....see my note further below**.

Quote:
I also don't celebrate holidays.
I have no issue with that. In fact, at times I choose not to celebrate holidays, as the Bible tells us that one man esteems a day above another while a different man esteems them to be all the same...and that each man must be convinced in his own mind.

Quote:
I'm an agnostic. I am not religious. I do not believe in any specific beliefs from any religion or a God from any specific religion. I accept the possibility of a higher power existing. I don't believe in donating organs, blood, etc... Those are strictly my own beliefs for myself. I don't care what other believe in. I only wanted to know what religions have similar beliefs that I do.
Quote:
This would actually go against my other belief which is reincarnation. My belief is that removing organs from the body will decrease the chances of being reincarnated.
**After reading the last 2 posts from you, I'm now inclined to think you choose to be free from any particular religion. In your OP, you clearly refer to God and sin...though in this post you state you don't believe in God and don't hold any specific beliefs. Yet the concept of sin IS a belief. So I think you are basically searching.

So if I may make a suggestion, go check out the Unitarian Universalist Church. You may find yourself right at home there, since most people in that particular denomination believe in relativism, which is clearly what you believe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,391,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post

So if I may make a suggestion, go check out the Unitarian Universalist Church. You may find yourself right at home there, since most people in that particular denomination believe in relativism, which is clearly what you believe in.
Ironic, the definition of "church" is: A building used for public Christian worship.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM

901 posts, read 2,389,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Ironic, the definition of "church" is: A building used for public Christian worship.
Actually, the more accurate definition of "church" is: the group of people who, universally and collectively, follow the teachings of Jesus. To state that the church is a building isn't really a biblical definition. Paul stated the body (individual physical body of the believer) is the temple.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Could you explain why? As I understand reincarnation the bodies are seen as just "vessels" that your soul transfers to and from. Why would the state of the individual body after death matter?

Are you thinking the physical body also somehow reincarnates in some form?
Within the belief of caste and "life laws" from Hindus and some Greeks who believed in reincarnation of the supernatural spirit, removing organs could be seen as a rejection of "Karma's" decision to have you be born with the body you were born. So it wouldn't stop reincarnation, within those specific ideologies, but it might "decrease" your status in the "next life".

Viewing these same views differently, accepting that "Karma" gave you a brain to make the decision to donate your organs, and that "Karma" likes when you are full of charity, then technically donating your organs wouldn't be a Blasphemy against Karma, but in fact, Karma would (because of your choice of being an organ donor) grant you a better after-life.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:57 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,852 times
Quote:
Could you explain why? As I understand reincarnation the bodies are seen as just "vessels" that your soul transfers to and from. Why would the state of the individual body after death matter?

Are you thinking the physical body also somehow reincarnates in some form?

Sounds more like he's talking about Zombieisem not Reincarnation..

Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,581,592 times
On a side note I do know Christians who are uncomfortable with organ donation. Some reasons I could think of that might sound Christian or justified by Christianity.

Our bodies are gifts from God. Organ donation reduces the body to a series of spare parts. It encourages treating humans like objects. Some good may result from organ donation, but it is not Christian to justify an evil by saying a good may result.

Intentionally scattering our bodies to wherever at least symbolically is a rejection of the Christian belief in Resurrection.

For the record I don't object to organ donation, I'm just trying to think of reasons Christians might. Also I have become a bit uncomfortable with doctor shows on it as they sometimes do act like people are almost more valuable as a collection of organs than as people. I think that sends a bad message, but might be inevitable due to organ donation and that concerns me. If a young healthy person is suicidal should we let them commit suicide because hey it's their choice and we need healthy organs?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,791 times
Quote:
...If a young healthy person is suicidal should we let them commit suicide because hey it's their choice and we need healthy organs?
money is the corrupting factor in most of those doctors' views, but most of them accept a sanctity towards fully cognizant sentient beings. So they might view your blood and spare kidney with hungry eyes, but not your brains or other limbs they deem fully necessary. They will, however, view a dead body as an expensive sack of organs they could use to keep other patients alive.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,114,161 times
As for us Muslims there is no full consensus among us about organ donations. Some of us see them as acceptable and even desirable others see them as being absolutely forbidden as us humans are forbidden to deliberately do anything that will alter or harm our bodies.

Now for holidays, we see every day as being Holy. We have no specific rituals of any holiday celebration, except for fasting during the month of Ramadan, giving charity for Eid Adha and sharing joy during Eid Fitr

Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,897,358 times
As a Unitarian Universalist, I can say that the original poster would be welcome in Unitarian Universalist fellowships. We welcome people holding many different types of beliefs. There are Unitarian Universalists who self-identify as Christian, Wiccan, Atheist, Jainist, Buddhist, etc, and many who do not self-identify with any other religious tradition. There is no creed or agreed upon religious beliefs we all share in common. The thing that unites us is a set of shared values expressed in seven principles.

But, the original poster asked if there was a religion that had similar beliefs to his. Unitarian Universalism does not have similar beliefs to his, because there are no "Unitarian Universalist" religious beliefs, short of our shared values. Maybe there are some Unitarian Universalist individuals who have similar beliefs to the OP, but the religion as a whole has no agreed upon religious beliefs.

I did want to briefly address the comment of another poster about Unitarian Universalism. "Insightofitall" said most UU's believe in relativism.

Quote:
Relativism is the concept that points of view have no absolute truth or validity, having only relative, subjective value according to differences in perception and consideration.
Don't mistake our inclusiveness for relativism. As far as I can tell, most of us have strongly held beliefs, and we, as individuals, believe the beliefs we have are true. It has been my experience that the majority of us don't believe that every belief can be right in its own way. But, we respect the right of each individual to believe what they believe. We may not share their beliefs, and we may personally believe their beliefs probably aren't true, but we support them in their own journey.

All of that being said, there are some values, that if publicly expressed would not be well received: misogyny, racism, homophobia, apathy for the poor, apathy for the environment, telling people they are going to hell for believing what they do, trying to prove people wrong, etc.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times
Quote:
I don't believe in getting blood transfusion, donating an organ not even after the person dies. I believe it's a sin to give away parts of your body. If there is a God it's obvious he gave people all of the organs they need ...
Obviously :

congenital birth defects - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality