Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Really?

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. -- Matthew 10:37

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36

"It is not good to marry."
After Jesus denounces divorce, his disciples say that if divorce isn't allowed, then "it is good not to marry." Jesus agrees by saying that it is better to make yourself a eunuch "for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." 19:10

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as required by Old Testament law. 7:9-10

Jesus prophesies that families will be divided because of him and his teachings. Sadly, this is one prophecy that has been fulfilled. 12:52-53

Yeah, that jesus was a great inspiration
You're taking those verses out of context. Jesus did not mean that you should literally hate your family, he meant that you should place god above your family. It was hyperbole said to make a point.

I am an atheist, not a Christian, but I had to point out that all-too-common error that many atheists make in interpreting that passage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You're taking those verses out of context. Jesus did not mean that you should literally hate your family, he meant that you should place god above your family. It was hyperbole said to make a point.

I am an atheist, not a Christian, but I had to point out that all-too-common error that many atheists make in interpreting that passage.
You're an atheist and an apologist?

How odd.

These are not taken out of context at all. The bible is full of anti women, anti family values. Put those in context with the so called 'loving jesus' and 'loving god'.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:

How odd.

These are not taken out of context at all. The bible is full of anti women, anti family values. Put those in context with the so called 'loving jesus' and 'loving god'.
He's not an apologist, so much as he is someone well-versed in revisionist biblical scholarship; as am I, if I may be so bold. If you read some stuff by people like Marcus Borg and Paul Tillich--and my favorite, Bishop John Shelby Spong--you'll be exposed to a whole new insight of what Jesus was really trying to say. His words to his followers 2000 years ago were full of hyperbole and symbolism and allegory--as well as simplistic parables--in order to better reach his largely illiterate audience.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 PM

593 posts, read 890,563 times
The women of Corinth were at a time an annoyance in church services and would literally
interrupt (rudely) during teachings and it was necessary to mandate that they remain silent .
It has virtually nothing to do with women being clergy or preachers. God encourages both
men and women to preach.

Das Note the problem was in Corinth specifically

Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
He's not an apologist, so much as he is someone well-versed in revisionist biblical scholarship; as am I, if I may be so bold. If you read some stuff by people like Marcus Borg and Paul Tillich--and my favorite, Bishop John Shelby Spong--you'll be exposed to a whole new insight of what Jesus was really trying to say. His words to his followers 2000 years ago were full of hyperbole and symbolism and allegory--as well as simplistic parables--in order to better reach his largely illiterate audience.
I am not illiterate when it comes to biblical scholarship thanks. Whilst my examples may have been off the cuff, I am fully cognisant of the implications of the NT and the scriptures pertaining to family values and the rights of women.

Jesus (if he even existed), was a product of his culture and times, he was not a renegade in the manner we understand. He did not endorse equality for women and he certainly, in his own words, did not come to change the world or the words of his forebears in the OT.

The bible may be many things, but it is not a blueprint for feminism that's for certain. It has been a tool to keep women subjugated for centuries.

I love how religious people always spout "oh don't take it literally" as some excuse for the blatant failings of the biblical texts. Spong is one of them.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:

How odd.
I was raised Christian, so I know the context of that verse. I'm not an apologist (I'm usually accused of being too anti-theist), but I have an extremely low tolerance for false information. I've seen too many atheists use that fallacious argument. The evidence against Christianity stands on its own, there is no need to invent any.

Quote:
These are not taken out of context at all.
Yes, they are.

Quote:
The bible is full of anti women, anti family values.
I agree 100%. The Bible is extremely misogynistic, a product of its antiquated time.

Quote:
Put those in context with the so called 'loving jesus' and 'loving god'.
I don't believe in a loving god or a loving Jesus. I'm an atheist. That's it. I don't believe in any gods, and if Jesus existed at all, he was just a man with some good teachings (and some not-so-good teachings).

Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
Quote:
I am not illiterate when it comes to biblical scholarship thanks. Whilst my examples may have been off the cuff, I am fully cognisant of the implications of the NT and the scriptures pertaining to family values and the rights of women.

Jesus (if he even existed), was a product of his culture and times, he was not a renegade in the manner we understand. He did not endorse equality for women and he certainly, in his own words, did not come to change the world or the words of his forebears in the OT.

The bible may be many things, but it is not a blueprint for feminism that's for certain. It has been a tool to keep women subjugated for centuries.

I love how religious people always spout "oh don't take it literally" as some excuse for the blatant failings of the biblical texts. Spong is one of them.

Djuna - please read my post earlier in the thread. Yes - the long one.

There's a reason Christianity started mainly among women and slaves: and it's not because it was anti-woman. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality