Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:11 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times

Advertisements

Recent news about the Norway bombing and mass killing have me deeply shocked and appaled at such senseless loss of life. My most heartfelt condoloences go to anyone affected by the tragedy.

BBC News - Shock and grief after Norway attacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:22 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Yes I agree, a terrible tragedy.

My heartfelt condolences to the people of Norway.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:30 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
It seems like I was just there but it has been a few years. Just tragic.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Anders Behring Breivik has to be one of the most cold blooded killers I have ever heard of. He actually called the teenagers to him before he began shooting them and once they were down he checked them for life signs and finished them off if they still lived...These were somebody's kids.

Breivik's Facebook page suggests he held strong Christian beliefs, enjoyed playing World of Warcraft fantasy games and was a fan of the psychologist William James and philosopher John Stuart Mill whose treatise On Liberty warns against the "tyranny of the majority". Anders Behring Breivik: motives of a mass murderer | World news | The Observer

How will Norway react to the appalling events? Will they only sentence this guy to 21 years [the maximum sentence a criminal can receive in the country]? In my opinion this monster does not deserve to continue breathing.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:35 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Anders Behring Breivik has to be one of the most cold blooded killers I have ever heard of. He actually called the teenagers to him before he began shooting them and once they were down he checked them for life signs and finished them off if they still lived...These were somebody's kids.

Breivik's Facebook page suggests he held strong Christian beliefs, enjoyed playing World of Warcraft fantasy games and was a fan of the psychologist William James and philosopher John Stuart Mill whose treatise On Liberty warns against the "tyranny of the majority". Anders Behring Breivik: motives of a mass murderer | World news | The Observer

How will Norway react to the appalling events? Will they only sentence this guy to 21 years [the maximum sentence a criminal can receive in the country]? In my opinion this monster does not deserve to continue breathing.
Thanks for sharing that, Sanspeur.
When something terrible like this happens, I wonder what influences caused it. It's never just one.
It reminds me that education & looking out for each other is so important.
I know this man, had the choice, yet in his eyes, he believed he was doing what was right - otherwise he wouldn't have done it. How in the world did he get to that point?
Somehow, he fell between the cracks... as have others who have behaved similarly. What can we learn from this?

My thoughts & prayers are with all those who have suffered from this tragedy.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
William James and John Stuart Mill seems like odd influences for an action like this.

I have to admit when I heard this I was thinking it might be someone far-right rather than a Muslim. The Labor Party is a kind of Left/Center-Left party and I didn't remember Islamists getting into attacking gatherings of political parties. Although James and Mill doesn't quite fit what I was thinking either. I was thinking maybe like an ultra-nationalist or the Norwegian equivalent of a John-Bircher (Not that I'm saying the Labor Party is Communist) or something.

Anyway thoughts and prayers to the victims.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:

i'm thinking some old mid evil torture device is a fair death for such a parasite!!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:

Have you perused his 1500-paged manifesto? He lays out his grievances in minute detail. Islam, for the most part. He also doesn't like secularism (because it leads to Islam, ultimately, is his logic) as well as all sorts of other (mostly leftist) things.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
It is interesting that many facebook comments before the arrest point to Islamic terrorists. This one is a Christian fundamentalist terrorist. There is no difference between these two faiths when it comes to extremism.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:36 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Folks,

As horrendous an event this was, and also one that is laden with emotion, the mods would ask that there be no religion bashing. Rather, it is perhaps better to keep our eyes on the victims of this needless and tragic event.

June sends her heartfelt condolences and sympathies as well to all that were involved in such a senseless act....

~June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality