Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
First of all - please don't say things are "retarded" or people are "retarded." It's offensive to those who are mentally handicapped. Second of all - I think you are a bit confused as to what an atheist is. An atheist is someone who does not believe in theism - or God or gods. Atheism has nothing to do with the supernatural. There are atheists that probably believe in the supertnatural and atheists that don't - those beliefs are not defined by their atheism. Thirdly, aliens are not automatically classified as supernatural beings. Usually, when people refer to aliens, they are referring to lifeforms on other planets. Think about it this way - if there was a planet that had life on it - to them, we would be aliens. If there are lifeforms on other planets - it's possible that they could be just like us. It doesn't take a belief in the supernatural to believe in the possibility of aliens. I believe in evolution and I believe that this could have occurred on other planets, not just our own. I believe that there very well could be forms of life on other planets - I do not believe that they would be supernatural - and this has no bearing on whether or not I believe in God.
Your right. I shouldn't have referred to it that way. I wasn't trying to call anyone retarded by the way. I just think it's stupid that some people don't believe in God but will believe in aliens? It doesn't make sense to me. But of course, everyone has their own view. I should have respected that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 05:08 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
See, I told y'all. Aliens = demons. How predictable was that?
Do some research on these aliens and people that have had alien encounters and correlate them to the Bible. I don't just believe aliens are demons without solid reason. I have very valid points to argument. Such as the particular smell of aliens. Or what people have reported as their smell in their abductions or whatever. Alot of people have reported that these alien smell disgusting. Like rotten eggs. We all know sulfur happens to smell like rotten eggs. The Bible says Hell is a place of fire and brimstone (which is sulfur). If you ever looked up reported sights or visitations of demons, you would see that people usually say they smell like sulfur or rotten eggs. That matches up exactly with the reported smell of aliens. And it matches up exactly with where they would originally be coming from. Hell. Also, supposed alien space craft has historically been seen in the skies all across the world for generations. This lines up exactly with the verse

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Like I said, it's up to your own interpretation what you believe that verse means. But I believe that aliens are in fact demons. Just in another form. They come in many.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,110,339 times
Did you ever do any windowpane in the sixties?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Your right. I shouldn't have referred to it that way. I wasn't trying to call anyone retarded by the way. I just think it's stupid that some people don't believe in God but will believe in aliens? It doesn't make sense to me. But of course, everyone has their own view. I should have respected that.
Thank you for the clarification.

I'm not sure how best to explain this - I believe that other forms of life on other planets is entirely possible. I believe that there must exist other planets in other galaxies where the conditions are right for life to exist. This doesn't have anything to do with the supernatural or God to me. This is simply biology and science. If I saw proof of life on other planets, I would believe in life on other planets. If I saw proof of God, I would believe in God. The two things are totally separate to me and not linked together.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM

I'd bet anything that:

A- there is extraterrestrial life all over the universe.

B- Each civilization has more than one crazy religion and they're at each others throats all the time.

C- Said religions MIGHT BE even wackier than any of ours.

Last edited by Tantalust; 05-25-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Previously unknown lifeforms does not mean they are alien lifeforms. It means they are unknown as of now. They have to be fully tested and proved alien. Planets with conditions life could exist? Yes, but has life been found on other planets yet? No. So your argument is moot.
Your mooting of my argument makes no sense. What is an alien other than a heretofore unknown lifeform that lives in a place that can sustain life but, due to the limits of our current technology, we haven't been able to explore fully? Doesn't matter if that place is the bottom of the ocean, some hot spring in the middle of the Congo, or the 4th moon of planet Queeblorx. The discovery of their existence would be in line with what we know about the universe so far, i.e. that under certain conditions one can expect to find living organisms. Compare this with belief in the existence of God, for which there is little to no empirical proof.

But again let me ask, what does this have to do with the existence or non-existence of God? You were the one who conflated the two issues in the first place. In my mind they're completely different.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
To those who do not wish to accept the existence of God, nothing short of a personal face to face meeting will convince them, at least not until God decides they should.

To my mind the question has been answered so this hypothetical posture is simply intellectual conjecture. On the one side, the bible does not document every action or intent of God, only what was considered to be important to the well being of man. So omission of a plethora of other worlds created and populated by God and not mentioned in the bible is not proof of it's impossibility. Multiple instances of an intentional act is more believable than multiple events randomly occurring.

On the other hand, the odds of evolution of life to a sentient tool using creature is statistically a long shot. Multiple instances of similar events only further those odds and to my mind cast doubt on the possibility of evolutionary science. Does not eliminate it, but does not strengthen the case in my mind.

No, the existence of Alien life does not prove or disprove the bible or God.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
On the other hand, the odds of evolution of life to a sentient tool using creature is statistically a long shot. Multiple instances of similar events only further those odds and to my mind cast doubt on the possibility of evolutionary science. Does not eliminate it, but does not strengthen the case in my mind.
Statistically, it's an incredibly long shot. But when you're dealing with huge numbers, you're bound to hit the jackpot once in a while.

Drake equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
No, the existence of Alien life does not prove or disprove the bible or God.
Agreed, but it would sure shake up some dearly-held worldviews, mostly on the side of the faithful.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:15 PM

A few months ago, the Vatican announced it would baptize any space aliens who visit us.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 PM

869 posts, read 972,191 times
Quote:
Where in the Bible does it reference to the possibility of another alien life form?
Wherever it mentions angels. Also, half-human half-angelics called nephilim are mentioned in Genesis a few chapters later. Or half human half extra-terrestrials as it can also be accurately expressed.

Quote:
According to Genesis;

24 And God said: 'Let the earth bring forth the living creature after its kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after its kind.' And it was so.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after its kind, and the cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good

It seems that the Bible only refers to and assumes that there is only life here on earth.
No, you are assuming more than the text warrants. The text is merely providing humans with information relevant to themselves as residens of earth and as his special creation. So it maintains its focus on this because focusing on anything else in Genesis 1 is irrelevant. Later the Bible reveals spirit extraterrestrial lifeforms he calls angels. Why? Because mentioning them in those places is relevant to the context where they are mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality