Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times

Advertisements

Hey, Bud. If you get an expedition up, can I come along?

I'm not sure Christians would have a problem touching the ark. After all, we are joint heirs with Jesus; we're able to boldly approach the throne of grace; and we have the Holy Spirit living within us that gives life to the body. Also, aren't believers called a royal priesthood? So, I think Christians would be safe touching the Ark. (We'll have to test the theory on Alpha. Sorry Alpha!)

Non-Christians, on the other hand, might not be so safe. If Alpha passes the test, then we'll let Plad try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Hey, Bud. If you get an expedition up, can I come along?

I'm not sure Christians would have a problem touching the ark. After all, we are joint heirs with Jesus; we're able to boldly approach the throne of grace; and we have the Holy Spirit living within us that gives life to the body. Also, aren't believers called a royal priesthood? So, I think Christians would be safe touching the Ark. (We'll have to test the theory on Alpha. Sorry Alpha!)

Non-Christians, on the other hand, might not be so safe. If Alpha passes the test, then we'll let Plad try!
I'm glad you brought up those points. Up to this point, the only others that would touch were atheists! I thought 'Good grief, I've turned into jeffncandace!!!!'

Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Did you know that, blueberry, or have you been out 'google-ing'?
Sputter, sputter, GASP! Who? Me? Cheat? -- Bite your tongue!

OK, I'll confess, normally I would cheat, but I actually knew the answer to this one! I once taught it in Sunday School; we made the ark (using a Xerox Box painted gold), put cherubim on top, and filled it with all the requisite things. Then some kids were appointed Levites and proceeded to march it around the room; it had to be covered with a blue cloth, of course. Pretty hard to forget after that!

Guess what I used for manna: A combination of Honeycombs and Frosted Flakes. Manna was sweet like honey, and appeared as flakes that were frosted! After spreading a clean tarp on the floor, the kids had to gather the manna!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Sputter, sputter, GASP! Who? Me? Cheat? -- Bite your tongue!

OK, I'll confess, normally I would cheat, but I actually knew the answer to this one! I once taught it in Sunday School; we made the ark (using a Xerox Box painted gold), put cherubim on top, and filled it with all the requisite things. Then some kids were appointed Levites and proceeded to march it around the room; it had to be covered with a blue cloth, of course. Pretty hard to forget after that!

Guess what I used for manna: A combination of Honeycombs and Frosted Flakes. Manna was sweet like honey, and appeared as flakes that were frosted! After spreading a clean tarp on the floor, the kids had to gather the manna!
Wow, would you come to our chuch and teach my kids?? What a great visual lesson.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 PM

954 posts, read 812,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Sorry, I don't believe it can be found, if it was I would be sure it was a fake, just as I believe the shroud of turin, and all the claims of finding Noahs ark are fake. I have heard some claim to have ownership of pieces of the cross.
There are also claims for about 5 JC's foreskins!! What a guy!!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
There are also claims for about 5 JC's foreskins!! What a guy!!
Ewwwwwe!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Wow, would you come to our chuch and teach my kids?? What a great visual lesson.
Thanks! I love teaching!!!

What was really funny was when one of the teens came in and said, "Wow! That looks like that thing in Indians Jones!" I laughed and asked him if he knew what it was; when he said no, I told him about it. He decided he wanted to be in my class!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Hypothetical situation: let's say you were on an archaelogical expedition somewhere, and actually were able to find the original Ark of the Covenant. Would you dare to touch it? And, who would you tell about such a discovery? Where do you think it will be found? (If you do a Google search, you'll find those who've claimed to already having located it...)
For those who don't know, in the Old Testament they were carrying the Ark (with long wooden poles) when all of a sudden it was about to fall over, so a guy reached out his hand to steady it. He died...right there on the spot.
Would such an outcome be any different today...?

2 Samuel 6:5-7
And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.
And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it.
And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God

Me? Thanks, but no thanks: I don't think I'd touch...I'd look...but that's it...
And, YES!....I would LOVE to be on such an expedition!.... Bud
First, O yeah I'd be on the expedition! I love an adventure. This is a good "what if" because that situation will never happen. I'll get to that in a minute. When the ark was being moved David and the others were not ready yet. Just as with some of us before salvation--when God is ready to bring the Ark (Jesus Christ) to you He will you can't do anything outside of the Spirit to make it happen. Only the Levite priests were allowed to touch it. Uzzah took it upon himself to "help" save the ark from following over. God would never have allowed the ark to fall. This translates in no faith for him.

Now, getting back to the Ark. Where is it? Will it ever be found? No, it will never be found because if we did someone would put it in a museum and charge thousands of $ to see, and some silly gullible so-called Christians would attempt to worship it. But where is it? God has it safe with Him...

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail." (Revelation 11:19)

Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
Alpha, if you touch the ark and explode, does that make you alpha bits?

(sorry, couldn't resist that one)

Last edited by urbanlemur; 07-12-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Alpha and Blueberry: hey, you two are both pretty good at this quiz thing! Both of you take the winning honors: Alpha for describing how the poles hook up, and what was on the top of the ark (cherubim), and Blueberry for what was inside the ark: the stone tablets, Aarons rod, and a jar of manna. Both the rod and the manna were found to be missing at a later time. You know, I always kinda pictured the rod to be some super-impressive 10-foot long thing, like the one Charleston Heston had in the movies, but if Aarons rod fit INSIDE the ark it could not have been very long...
Hmmm....and Marks....you deserve a prize too, for showing us that scripture in Revelation. So....the ark is up there now, eh? That means we can't find it down here....I'm kinda bummed...
Ya'll are invited on my expedition, right after I make my first million... (Ok....the rest of you can come along too....)
I had to cheat, as all I could remember was the stone tablets and that there was something else. So I went Googling. Here's a good read (although it is not NECCESSARILY accurate in all points):
Ark of the Covenant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality